Performance Enhancing Drugs

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Performance Enhancing Drugs

Postby tellmeaboutit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Sports Illustrated has a big article on Performance Enhancing Drugs this week. They state that it is a bigger problem than we know. Has SI over sensationalized the story?
Last edited by tellmeaboutit on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs

Postby rep » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:09 pm

let me state in a very clear way, if a high school athlete is specifically named as using ped's here, the topic will be closed and the offending poster will be banned with as little delay as possible.
rep

Postby tellmeaboutit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:22 pm

I didn't intend to have anyone list names or make accusations. I for one think that SI is sensationalizing the story and I don't think that there is a problem in North Dakota.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:32 pm

I wouldn't doubt in states like Florida, California, Texas, and New York that its a big problem in high schools. I don't see it being a big problem in North Dakota but maybe I'm blind.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm

There were a couple of guys that took Creatine when I was in high school and their big complaint was being so dehydrated all the time.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:54 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:I didn't intend to have anyone list names or make accusations. I for one think that SI is sensationalizing the story and I don't think that there is a problem in North Dakota.

nope, not accusing you at all. just trying to head off anything stupid ahead of time if anyone thought it would be funny to rip kid X or Y.
rep

Postby hp fan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Personally I think it is a bigger problem in bigger states, as stated earlier. But I do think that we need to be very proactive about this instead of saying, "its not a problem in ND". It will be, we need to educated our kids in grades 4-8. THey are the ones that are going to be feeling the pressure as these PED's CONTINUE to flood into our state.
hp fan

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm

I don't think its a huge problem like teen drinking in this state - but trust me - there are kids taking roids in High Schools. There was when I was in HS and their still is. Not a lot - probably guesstimating 5% but it's not nonexistent in our schools.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby CHS » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 am

Well I coach in AZ down here both football and basketball, we are about 10 miles from the border of Mexico and yes its a problem, We played against Reggie Bush's cousin and he looked like an NFL back not kidding. Not saying he was on anything but my god.
CHS

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 pm

I look at this problem as we (North Dakota) looked at Meth. We didn't want to see it until it hit us in the face... If it's down south, it's up north. The pushers don't stop at a state line. We need to start now and educate our future (the kids) in sports about this subject.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:10 pm

lots of kids are taking the creatine and other stuff......we're putting our heads in the sand here folks if you think its not around, c'mon the *edited by mod* coach was fired for it (creatine)........it's already out there and I could point to multiple teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years......if the creatine is there, the other stuff is there too.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Every muscle magazine in existence pushes creatine for gaining weight and muscle volume, you can buy it at any Walmart. I certainly wouldn't advocate having coaches endorse it, but it's not steriods. As for "teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years" are you saying that the coaches are actively telling them they have to go buy it, or do they supply it to them? Or is it something they came up with on their own?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:41 pm

i really hope hes not a steriods cuz im a fan of his but look at Dwight Howard....he is physically the largest man i have ever seen. kids are alot bigger thn what they were 10-15 even 5 years ago. granted some kids are learning that you need to hit the weights to succeed at sports, but i have to think alot are getting "help" in that category. maybe not up in ND 9 man football as much as 5A down in TX, but my guess is still there. cuz ive talked to a few kids from some town, i wont name towns or names cuz that was said not to even start, but they said for sure kids take steriods
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:18 am

I think it's very possible that kids in ND could be using performance enhancing drugs for sports like cross country, football, and track. Every kid wants to be bigger, faster, and stronger. Also every kid wants a chance to earn an athletic scholarship.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:04 pm

There is absoutely nothing wrong with creatine and protien shakes. Just because someone is on creatine and/or protien doesn't mean they would be willing to take steriods. You can educate the youth all you want but there is ALWAYS going to be people doing it regardless of the effects on your body. Meth, cocaine, etc. all harm the body but people still do those drugs. What is going to stop people from taking PEDs? People in the 2000s are bigger then the people in the 1990s just like they were bigger then people in the 1980s etc. Compare the average size of a 17 year old male today as to a 17 year old male in the 1960s. It is an enormous difference. Is that because of steriods? Of course not. Every year there are new strength programs, new muscle building shakes, and so on to help athletes become bigger, faster, and stronger. Not just steriods.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:09 pm

baller01 wrote:There is absoutely nothing wrong with creatine and protien shakes. Just because someone is on creatine and/or protien doesn't mean they would be willing to take steriods. You can educate the youth all you want but there is ALWAYS going to be people doing it regardless of the effects on your body. Meth, cocaine, etc. all harm the body but people still do those drugs. What is going to stop people from taking PEDs? People in the 2000s are bigger then the people in the 1990s just like they were bigger then people in the 1980s etc. Compare the average size of a 17 year old male today as to a 17 year old male in the 1960s. It is an enormous difference. Is that because of steriods? Of course not. Every year there are new strength programs, new muscle building shakes, and so on to help athletes become bigger, faster, and stronger. Not just steriods.

*****illegal in college, also illegal for the Olympics****** creatine
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 am

Personally I'm not an advocate of Creatine, I've tried about 10 years ago when I was trying to gain muscle mass and I didn't care for the muscle cramps and loose stools. :( I wouldn't advocate my son to use it now either, instead I'd recommend spending the money on higher quality foods and good hydration drinks.

The NCAA just prohibits colleges from distributing creatine it to their athletes, but there is no ban on athletes obtaining it on their own and using it. Some believe it has more to do with the schools with the larger athletic budgets using free supplements for recruiting athletes.

Creatine is not listed as "banned" by the World Anti-Doping Agency which is what the International Olympic committee uses. http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/docu ... ist_En.pdf

Another good reference is put out by the McKinley Health Center. http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/e ... _aids.html
It shows that creatine is not banned by the IOC.

There has been a lot of buzz about androstenedione and DHEA and HGH, those products are much more controversial and have made lots of banned lists.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby poweraidman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:54 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Every muscle magazine in existence pushes creatine for gaining weight and muscle volume, you can buy it at any Walmart. I certainly wouldn't advocate having coaches endorse it, but it's not steriods. As for "teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years" are you saying that the coaches are actively telling them they have to go buy it, or do they supply it to them? Or is it something they came up with on their own?

a lot of kids just hear that it works or see it advertised, i know at least 10-20 kids that have used or are using creatine, i personally dont think creatine is bad but when players are using things like gackic and leukic, that gets out of hand, all you need is a good protien and a good lifting program and youll be fine
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ballaholic#3 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:30 pm

I don't believe steroids and HGH are a huge problem because let's face it who has heard of someone dealing steroids around here. creatine is a very good thing to take if you do it correctly and now i think a lot of kids are educated on it and are taking it correctly. with all that being said i think there was only one kid from around my area that i thought was using something borderline illegal.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:19 pm

I think the problem is that a lot of guys get so into the Flex and the Muscle and Fitness magazines that they think to look like that they have to be on all those products that are advertised. Any good nutritionist will tell you that the that's not the case. Most of that stuff could be discarded and probably substituted by a can of Red Bull.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Baller wrote:There were a couple of guys that took Creatine when I was in high school and their big complaint was being so dehydrated all the time.

a guy i know took creatine and just got completely water-logged because he didnt work out on a daily basis. creatine just supplies extra "juice", if you will, to your muscles. its not really a ped but it does help in the training process.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:09 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Every muscle magazine in existence pushes creatine for gaining weight and muscle volume, you can buy it at any Walmart. I certainly wouldn't advocate having coaches endorse it, but it's not steriods. As for "teams in our area that have had kids using it for a bunch of years" are you saying that the coaches are actively telling them they have to go buy it, or do they supply it to them? Or is it something they came up with on their own?

even tho creatine may not be a steroid or ped of any kind, it still is bad for the developing body. it prematurely seals growth plates and in essence stunts growth. and like i said in my previous post, if you dont work out you just get water-logged. if you are using creatine, at least try to wait till your growth plates are sealed. a good substitute for any ped or protein/creatine shake is dedication to be in the weight room. get in on a daily basis, do cardio, for an hour or so a day and you are golden in a few months.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:09 am

I'd contact the local county extension agent and see if there is anyone who can come and talk to the athletes about proper nutrition to get the most out of your training. It would probably save them a lot of money and make their training that much more efficient.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguruguy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 pm

The bottom line here is that sports how entertaining they might be we as a society have put these professional athletes on a pedestal.They make millions of dollars throwing a baseball, hitting a home run , making a basket etc..So we have are young kids seeing how the sports world really is and making huge dollars. Can you blame these athletes for using whatever edge they can to get a chance at making millions in something that they love and comes easy to them.( not saying that it is right) There is alot of pressure on young kids now days to be the best in what they do in sports compared to 20 years ago. So yes North Dakota athletes have been introduced to performing inhanced drugs. I don't no if they are being consumed but they are out there. What happened to the good old days were you just busted your hump and played the game weather or not you played at all just because you loved it. It didn't seem like a job back then like it is today.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby poweraidman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:10 am

riders wrote:

even tho creatine may not be a steroid or ped of any kind, it still is bad for the developing body. it prematurely seals growth plates and in essence stunts growth. and like i said in my previous post, if you dont work out you just get water-logged. if you are using creatine, at least try to wait till your growth plates are sealed. a good substitute for any ped or protein/creatine shake is dedication to be in the weight room. get in on a daily basis, do cardio, for an hour or so a day and you are golden in a few months.

why substitute for a protien shake, those are healthy either way you look at it, and they are the best thing a student can take to gain muscle and strength, and its all natural. It does no harm to your body at all, a 10 year old could take protien shakes and it wouldnt hurt him
poweraidman
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Hot Topics