Performance Enhancing Drugs

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs

Postby Jefferson Clark » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 am

creatine, and supplements arent regulated by the FDA
theres what you said earlier" these supplements are not regulated by the FDA" theres another riders quote. your whole arguement is not about the product haha. and they do put ingredients on the label. by the way you just lost your first arguement pal
Jefferson Clark

Postby riders » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am

mabye you should take a closer look at my previous posts. my arguement was that creatine and protein supplements arent regulated by the FDA. they are not and the other part of my arguemnet was that no matter what the label says there are always impurities in them. i have posted numerous links to articles to solidify my point. need i post them again? i havent lost any arguement, especially to the likes of you. and im not sure if you know that creatine alone is simply creatine, a chemical fiound within the body, in particular in the spinal column, and that protein alnoe is simply protein, another elemenmt found in the body. these cant be taken without being mixed with something else, meaning that they become supplements being the product on the shelf.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Weightliftin ... ements.htm
--this one says for those with liver disease but it states my point
http://www.liverdisease.com/aminoacids_hepatitis.html
scroll down to "Are dietary supplememts safe"
http://www.ohsolution.com/whey%20protien.htm
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/creatine.html
just a little about creatine for anyone who didnt believe my last post
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby playin2win » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:23 pm

First of all i got to say that i am looking at a creatine and whey protien powder tubs as i type and they are both FDA regulated and the ingredients are on the side. Second when i was looking for somethign to gain muscle for athletics the first thing i did was talk to my doctor who is also a graduate out of pharmacy and sports medicine. he specificly stated that protien shakes are one of the better things you can take for muscle gain. i asked about creatine he replied that if you would take it the only thing you would have to worry about would be dehydration and that canbe solved my drinking water other than that he said nothign bad about it.
playin2win
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:04 pm

try reading the Rice university article on creatine and pretty much any of the other links ive posted. sorry but you might think about asking a different doc or doing some research before you try to argue with me. ive been looking at this stuff for the past 4 years and i know my stuff.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystud6 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 am

jpg
riders wrote:try reading the Rice university article on creatine and pretty much any of the other links ive posted. sorry but you might think about asking a different doc or doing some research before you try to argue with me. ive been looking at this stuff for the past 4 years and i know my stuff.

its apparent that you dont know what your talking about when your saying they dont put the nutrition facts on the side and you need to find something more productive to do then spend 4 years reading articles from colleges about supplements,

here is a picture of whey protein and i believe on the right side there would be nutrition facts
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10964314/P ... rolab_.jpg
hockeystud6

Postby riders » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am

#1 i said ingredients, #2 get a legit pic, #3 you have no idea what has been said in this topic and mabey you should do some reading of posts and the articles that i posted links in order to get an idea

this is not an ingredient label--theres calories in everything as well as carbs and calcium and the other vitamins and minerals listed
http://www.qfac.com/images/fuzzyfacts.gif --not ingredients
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm

I love reading all the "you don't know what your talking about" comments. Next one closes the topic.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 pm

sorry for those comments but i have done my homework. i was interested in taking a supplement and i asked around to doctors and got opinions and used the web for some more research and i discovered that there are more bad effects than good.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby playin2win » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:37 pm

I want to be the one to end this topic it is going no where but before i end it. I think it is funny how your four years of hard research is better than a man who has a doctor degree in Sports Medicine.

good luck chuck!!!!!!
playin2win
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:55 pm

if you didnt notice, i said i had numerous doctor's opinions in my last post and the bad comments out-numbered the good ones by alot
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby playin2win » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 am

Well it isn't illegal for high school athletes, and i know alot of athletes that only have time to lift later at night and the only way to get protien/nutrients into your system that late would be Creatine or Whey Protien. because if kids lift late and eat after that to put protien into there system it is just goign to make them gain and technically move them back in competition!!!!!!!!
playin2win
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:01 am

i gotta disagree with you on that. im one of those athletes and i lifted after football practice and basketball practice for an hour or so and eating afterward did nothing to diminsh my ability to compete. i gained but it wasnt from eating after i lifted, it was from lifting and practice.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 am

NDSportsFan wrote:Any good nutritionist will tell you that the that's not the case. Most of that stuff could be discarded and probably substituted by a can of Red Bull.

one of the best posts in this topic
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 am

From the Bismarck Tribune today:

It's a nonfiction tale of magic seeds and grow-powder. The first part of the story came in an e-mail to a newspaper editor.

Journalists have an unflattering word to refer to public relations writers. (No, you're not going to read it here.) One of the main reasons is that PR people always are trying to get something for nothing. They want column inches of free print coverage for clients ranging from drug manufacturers to movie stars to (blush) journalists who have written books - trying to pass off the PR mush as news.

Friday morning's barrage of e-mails included one from a PR firm lauding a product made from a natural seed the Aztec Indians consumed that gave then enough stamina to run all day. The Conquistadors destroyed salvia hispanica as part of their campaign to subjugate the Indians by robbing them of their vigor.

Now a company has exclusive U.S. distribution rights to peddle - (No, the Tribune will not mention the brand and give the PRwriter the satisfaction).

The writer seems to think it's a telling point that an Ironman triathlete whose diet is 100 percent plant-based takes the junk and never wears out.

Think of tempting high school athletes and teenagers, and their developing bodies, with an array of aids to enhance sports performance.

We learned Monday in a story reprinted from the Century Star and written by Greg Hilzendeger, a Century High School sophomore, that athletes in training are using protein supplements to help them beef up.

One young athlete told Hilzendeger that "I put on 10 pounds of muscle" right after beginning use of protein and other supplements.

Like any good reporter, Hilzendeger dug until he learned that something seeming to be natural and healthy and performance-enhancing could have its drawbacks. He wrote: "Overuse of creatine increases the risk of muscle tears and cramping. An excess of glutamine can cause urination problems. Large amounts of protein in a diet over a long period of time can harm the kidneys ... and liver."

The competitive pressure on young athletes has never been greater. They're having to push their bodies more than ever, when it's true that high school students routinely turn in performances that would have broken world records in the 1960s.

What has an older generation taught them? The ugly lesson was that some athletes couldn't be content with their own native talent, acquired skills and conditioned bodies to deliver a competitive edge. So they opened their mouths and swallowed a competitive edge or had it injected into their muscles.

Of course, there's a world of difference between steroids and human growth hormone and amphetamines and taking a protein booster.

But the young who want to excel are especially vulnerable to thinking they're indestructible. Hilzendeger's story did them a service by proving that something perfectly legal and seemingly good for building better athletes can also harm them. They need to take any supplement, even multivitamins, under the supervision of a nutritionist or trainer.

The adults who care about them want the young to be healthy and safe
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby riders » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:20 am

seems to prove part of what i was saying about them (protein and creatine) not being good for you.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystud6 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:27 am

Post edited, user banned. Go hate someone else.
hockeystud6

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:03 am

hockeystud6 wrote:DELETED

wow...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:15 pm

so curiosity gets me on this one..now i wanna know what he said to get booted.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jtdc492 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:20 pm

riders wrote:mabye you should take a closer look at my previous posts. my arguement was that creatine and protein supplements arent regulated by the FDA. they are not and the other part of my arguemnet was that no matter what the label says there are always impurities in them. i have posted numerous links to articles to solidify my point. need i post them again? i havent lost any arguement, especially to the likes of you. and im not sure if you know that creatine alone is simply creatine, a chemical fiound within the body, in particular in the spinal column, and that protein alnoe is simply protein, another elemenmt found in the body. these cant be taken without being mixed with something else, meaning that they become supplements being the product on the shelf.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Weightliftin ... ements.htm
--this one says for those with liver disease but it states my point
http://www.liverdisease.com/aminoacids_hepatitis.html
scroll down to "Are dietary supplememts safe"
http://www.ohsolution.com/whey%20protien.htm

Riders, you sound like an intelligent person who is trying to learn as much as he can, but the studies and references you list are ancient by nutritional science standards. The latest one was listed 1997. Eleven years later creatine is the one supplement that has been shown to be safe with little or no side effects when used as directed. I recommend doing a Medline search or some similar research search engine.
Kudos for being curious, keep it up.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:08 pm

P.S. Does anyone know of any ND high school kid being suspended for a PED?
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 pm

nobody could say even if they did know..violates the rules of preps and it may not be true and mess up a great athletes career
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby of course » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 pm

agreed riders cause u cant prove if it is true and i dnt think anyone would want the rumor of that going around
of course
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Hot Topics