BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Are those 500-1000 all bball players?? No. Do they all try out for the team?? No. So technically those 12 or so that make varsity do not beat out 500-1000 just to get on the team. They maybe beat out 50 or so in tryouts. In Class B the 12 that make allstate are beating out 1000-1500 BASKETBALL players to be selected to the all state team. The 12 that make allstate in Class A are beating out roughly 200 other bball players and 50-100 (high estimate) from their own school to get on their team.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Are all the male students at a class B school ball players either? No. Even some on the teams probably wouldn't go out at a larger school either because they'd be cut but at a smaller school they go out because there are no numbers. The point is, just because there's a 125 schools vs 18 schools wouldn't make it 7 times harder to be all state. A case in point is when my son was in the 7th grade they had 72 7th grade boys out for bb and his school is 10th in enrollment class A. Just because once they get older they drop off isn't necessarily because they wouldn't want to play but rather they can't because of the numbers.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Deuce wrote:Are all the male students at a class B school ball players either? No. Even some on the teams probably wouldn't go out at a larger school either because they'd be cut but at a smaller school they go out because there are no numbers. The point is, just because there's a 125 schools vs 18 schools wouldn't make it 7 times harder to be all state. A case in point is when my son was in the 7th grade they had 72 7th grade boys out for bb and his school is 10th in enrollment class A. Just because once they get older they drop off isn't necessarily because they wouldn't want to play but rather they can't because of the numbers.

I never said all the male students at class B schools were bball players. To get the 1500 I just simply did the math....there are roughly 125 class B schools with basically 12 to a varsity team. (125x12=1500) You're right that some (maybe even quite a few) wouldn't make the team or even go out for the team in a class A school. However, they are all playing basketball and putting up stats that everyone has to compete against to become an all state player. Remember, I'm not stating the class B allstate players are better than class A allstate players, just making an argument that I think its a little easier to be selected to the allstate team in class A vs class B.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

How many class B schools have 12 players putting up stats? Most class B schools I've seen have maybe 6 or 7 with JV, C squad and even jr high kids filling the bench. I'm not trying to say that making all-state, all-region or all-district is easy because any award a player gets is earned and they should be proud of it. I just think people forget just how hard it is to prosper in the class A school systems and how difficult it really is even with only 18 teams and 8 make state there are a lot of kids to beat out to get there.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm

martinez not my favrit player at all dint make class a all state last year.....are you tellin us he wouldnt have made it in b?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:34 pm

my theory on it is that if you want to succeed as a team....you would rather pllay Class A because the probability of making state is much higher. If your selfish and want to succeed on a personal level you play Class B because the great players can go out and dominate every game, which they wouldnt be able to as much in A.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 pm

cdub1 wrote:martinez not my favrit player at all dint make class a all state last year.....are you tellin us he wouldnt have made it in b?

Who knows, it would depend on his stats and his team's success
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:51 pm

baseball wrote:my theory on it is that if you want to succeed as a team....you would rather pllay Class A because the probability of making state is much higher. If your selfish and want to succeed on a personal level you play Class B because the great players can go out and dominate every game, which they wouldnt be able to as much in A.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most absurd statements ever. Class B players want their team to succeed jsut as much if not more than Class A players. The whole town takes pride in their team and everyone on the team wants to make their town and school proud. It doesn't matter what class in what state, there will always be selfish players and there will also be the ultimate team players. Every class A person on this site seems to think Class B players choose to play in class B because they can't make it in class A or I guess now because their selfish. Class b players play class B bball because that is where their family lives. It's not a choice.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm

I think you took baseball's statement in the wrong context and he's a class B guy. I think what he was trying to say that if a really good player plays class A he's more likely to have the team successes rather than the personal accolades like his team going to state because his team will be filled in with other good players and you only have to be better than 5 other teams in the region. But if that same player is playing on a class B team, their team may not be so good because his supporting cast may not be good enought to get them to state but their personal numbers are going to be gawdy because a lot of the teams he faces won't have an answer for him where as almost every class A team would.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Maybe he did mean it differently than what came across in his post. He did say tho that if you're selfish and want to succeed on a personal level you play class b bball. That doesn't sound like he's supporting class b players.

Also, in one of your previous posts you asked how many class b school have a full 12 on varsity putting up stats each night. Not many, yes, but you still have your 7-10 that play good minutes each night. Do all 12 on the team play each night in class A, tho? I'm guessing not. The last few on the bench probably get most of their minutes on the JV just like in class B. I haven't been around class A ball very much or paid attention, but do they dress a separate 12 for both JV and varsity or do some kids dress on both teams?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:50 pm

If you take the best class b basketball players from the past 10 years and put them in a class A school, they would start, succeed and make all state......Class B has great athletes and just because they don't have to try out to make the team doesn't make them good. Quit your class B bashing
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:22 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Maybe he did mean it differently than what came across in his post. He did say tho that if you're selfish and want to succeed on a personal level you play class b bball. That doesn't sound like he's supporting class b players.

Also, in one of your previous posts you asked how many class b school have a full 12 on varsity putting up stats each night. Not many, yes, but you still have your 7-10 that play good minutes each night. Do all 12 on the team play each night in class A, tho? I'm guessing not. The last few on the bench probably get most of their minutes on the JV just like in class B. I haven't been around class A ball very much or paid attention, but do they dress a separate 12 for both JV and varsity or do some kids dress on both teams?

yea i can see where you would take that the wrong way. i am a class b guy, grew up class b and that wont change, but what i meant that on the Class B level alot of teams wont have an answer for him like Duece said. that and the fact that his supporting cast isnt as good means he will have to take more shots and have the ball in his hands more then he would a Class A game. thats why i said IF your selfish and want to succeed on a personal and not a team level you would play that class. i never said Class B players were selfish, just that a selfish player would rather play in a level like that
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Gentlemen, can we put our pride to the side and get back to this topic, which is "Best all around athlete in ND." It's not who is better, class A or class B...
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:15 pm

HeisAlive wrote:Gentlemen, can we put our pride to the side and get back to this topic, which is "Best all around athlete in ND." It's not who is better, class A or class B...

but thats one of the variables in determining who the best is...kid who averages 18 pts and 10 reb in class A is better then a player who averages 18 and 10 in class b.....

when figuring who is the best all around athlete you have to ask a bunch of questions. What does he do? how does he do it? is it easy for him? how consistant is he? WHO DOES HE DO IT AGAINST?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Iron Scope » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm

baseball wrote:
HeisAlive wrote:Gentlemen, can we put our pride to the side and get back to this topic, which is "Best all around athlete in ND." It's not who is better, class A or class B...

but thats one of the variables in determining who the best is...kid who averages 18 pts and 10 reb in class A is better then a player who averages 18 and 10 in class b.....

when figuring who is the best all around athlete you have to ask a bunch of questions. What does he do? how does he do it? is it easy for him? how consistant is he? WHO DOES HE DO IT AGAINST?

I wouldn't say it is always the case. In class b u are only going to have 1 guy on the team that could start in class a on most, i know not all, and on the good ones maybe 2 and on the great ones maybe 3 and if it is a very special team maybe even 4. Cause in class a 3-12 are better that 3-12 in class b unless the team is unreal. But if you average 18 points in class b you will get a lot more focus from other teams because chances are the 4th and 5th guy don't need to be guarded unless they are under the hoop. I get what you are saying but i just though i would throw this out there.
Iron Scope

Postby flyguy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:00 am

elgie hands down
flyguy

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:33 am

i'm going to have to go with killoran for girls and jamie mauch for guys
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby smart source » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:11 am

BballFan1307 wrote:i'm going to have to go with killoran for girls and jamie mauch for guys

hopefully you joking
smart source

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:34 pm

smart source wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i'm going to have to go with killoran for girls and jamie mauch for guys

hopefully you joking

nope not joking..sry..
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 am

another class B region section 34A player of year. if hankinson had a community college, he would get a scholorship there.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 am

i_see_it_all wrote:another class B region section 34A player of year. if hankinson had a community college, he would get a scholorship there.

I love class B haters, probably never seen the kid play but can come to that conclusion because he doesn't play class A.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:17 am

i_see_it_all wrote:another class B region section 34A player of year. if hankinson had a community college, he would get a scholorship there.

yea you are right, because class b has sections...
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 pm

ndfan wrote:

I love class B haters, probably never seen the kid play but can come to that conclusion because he doesn't play class A.

3 of the 5 starters for Jamestown College- Jordan Olson-Milnor- class B, Jake Holen- LaMoure- class B, Kyle Iverson- Elgin Class B- Jamestown is the number 1 team in the Dac-10 right now, and they are doing with 3 starters out of Class B. Class B has the talent.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby smart source » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:11 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ndfan wrote:

3 of the 5 starters for Jamestown College- Jordan Olson-Milnor- class B, Jake Holen- LaMoure- class B, Kyle Iverson- Elgin Class B- Jamestown is the number 1 team in the Dac-10 right now, and they are doing with 3 starters out of Class B. Class B has the talent.

ok right now in the state of north dakota class b does not have a single athlete on the level of elgie what is so hard to understand about 9 all state awards in 3 sports 2 all american awards and probably a third on the way this year a chance to get drafted in baseball...runner up gatorade player of the year in football and is gonna end up being in the top 2 or 3 scorers all time at minot high school history....i dont think any college in northdakota other than ndsu has even contacted him to play sports because he is too good...the fact that you class a haters think anybody from class b is that good is insane and i dont know how you can talk yourself into thinking it
smart source

Postby i_see_it_all » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ndfan wrote:

very proficient. but your posting in the wrong forum/ topic title. we need to make a "class B basketball greats" forum so all these guys can just let loose. it would be the hottest topic on the site.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics