BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

Postby i_see_it_all » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:06 am

who is it?
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Re: BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:12 am

Zac Elgie
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller24 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:55 am

baseball wrote:Zac Elgie

Agreed... could win senior player of the year in all three sports he is in(Football, Baksetball, and Baseball)
great athlete and good luck at kansas..
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

what sport is he playing at Kansas?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:33 pm

baseball
did he win senior player of the year in football?

anyone else worth mentioning?
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby MrFearing » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:04 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:anyone else worth mentioning?

I suppose you could mention Brent Qvale

Two time all state lineman
Great year in basketball
Shot put champ
MrFearing

Postby sportsking09 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:19 am

i dont mean to bash on anyone but, Zac elgie is alil over rated, and just to prove my point who won the senior athlete of the year in football, someone from Fargo South i remember, not minot
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 am

sportsking09 wrote:i dont mean to bash on anyone but, Zac elgie is alil over rated, and just to prove my point who won the senior athlete of the year in football, someone from Fargo South i remember, not minot

But you didn't mention who you thought was better all-around.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller24 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:18 pm

baller24 wrote:
baseball wrote:Zac Elgie

Agreed... could win senior player of the year in all three sports he is in(Football, Baksetball, and Baseball)
great athlete and good luck at kansas..

never said he did said he could have
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Kristen? Killoran from Maple Valley in my opinion is the best overall in the state and definately the best female in the state. She was an all-state volleyball selection with huge stats, I dont her average for B-Ball anymore but it was above 30 earlier in the season (this is her favorite sport), I know she won the long jump and triple jump at state last year, maybe in previous seasons too. Her triple jump was second in the nation and she is getting full-ride offers from track coaches at some big schools (Minnesota, Nebraska,etc.) but narrowed her choices down the NDSU and Minnesota.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby smart source » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Elgie by far 9 all state titles and 2 louisville all american awards.....id say for girls dagny knutson....she has a good chance at going to the olympics
smart source

Postby Number7 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:04 pm

smart source wrote:Elgie by far 9 all state titles and 2 louisville all american awards.....id say for girls dagny knutson....she has a good chance at going to the olympics

Who is she? Where is she from? What sport? and one sport doesnt make you the best all-around
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby smart source » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Number7 wrote:
smart source wrote:Elgie by far 9 all state titles and 2 louisville all american awards.....id say for girls dagny knutson....she has a good chance at going to the olympics

Who is she? Where is she from? What sport? and one sport doesnt make you the best all-around

she is a swimmer from minot she only does swimmings becasue she is so good at it like something like 6th in the nation in some event....she will be either in the upcoming olympics or the next one
smart source

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:28 pm

smart source wrote:
Number7 wrote:

she is a swimmer from minot she only does swimmings becasue she is so good at it like something like 6th in the nation in some event....she will be either in the upcoming olympics or the next one

Maybe shes so good at it because its all she does?? Think how good of a baseball player Elgie would be if instead of playing football and basketball he was in the cage working on his swing and workin on his catching skills? its easy to excell at one sport but the ALL-AROUND athletes which this topic talks about is asking for people who excell at more then one.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby smart source » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:26 pm

baseball wrote:
smart source wrote:
Number7 wrote:

Maybe shes so good at it because its all she does?? Think how good of a baseball player Elgie would be if instead of playing football and basketball he was in the cage working on his swing and workin on his catching skills? its easy to excell at one sport but the ALL-AROUND athletes which this topic talks about is asking for people who excell at more then one.

is it easy to excel at the level of other olympiens?
smart source

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:39 pm

ok...make it sound like i was bashing her, thats cool i guess. of course its not easy to excel to the level of other olympians. but the thing is, shes not an olympian..yet. 6th in the nation, she very well could be in the 08 summer games or 2012 who knows. my point was that if a kid works on is ballhandling, shooting, passing, defensive stance, etc...he could be an all-state basketball player. but he would only be a one sport athlete. When i think all around althete, i think Alex Belquist, Mark Bakkum, Jordan Englehart, Kyle Carr. them guys are all around athetes. where as people like Austin Dufault, Travis Mertens, Packineaus are all great athletes, they are only one sport athletes....just like Dagny Knutson. great athlete? yes. great all-around athlete? who konws, because all she does is swim.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:44 pm

who is alex belquist and mark bakkum? how can these guys be all around athletes when ive never heard of them.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 am

i_see_it_all wrote:who is alex belquist and mark bakkum? how can these guys be all around athletes when ive never heard of them.

Belquist is playing football at NDSU, was the baseball teams ace and 3/4 hitter for like three years. and could stroke a basketball. and Bakkum was 2 time all-region in football(didnt play as a senior), mr basketball finalist, and sr athlete of the year in baseball.....id call that pretty all around.

i also take back Dufault as only a one sport athlete, forgot he played football. others that come to mind you may konw would Landon Smith? Brady Trenbeth? Matt Anderson? Jamie Mauch?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 am

i_see_it_all wrote:who is alex belquist and mark bakkum? how can these guys be all around athletes when ive never heard of them.

You were kidding right?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:28 am

baseball wrote:

Belquist is playing football at NDSU, was the baseball teams ace and 3/4 hitter for like three years. and could stroke a basketball. and Bakkum was 2 time all-region in football(didnt play as a senior), mr basketball finalist, and sr athlete of the year in baseball.....id call that pretty all around.

i also take back Dufault as only a one sport athlete, forgot he played football. others that come to mind you may konw would Landon Smith? Brady Trenbeth? Matt Anderson? Jamie Mauch?

Can't forget about another Minot product this year - Austin Vetter - I think Elgie is the better athlete of the two - but Vetter was All-State Football - will be All - State basketball - and will qualify for state in track in at least two events - probably more.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 am

baseball wrote:

Knutson has qualified for the olympic trials in 5 events and narrowly missed setting the all time hs record in the 200. (and she's only a sophmore) Every year the're are around 6 mr bb finalist, POY for each region/class and probably a 100 all-region fb selections across the 4 divisions. Not every year someone from ND has the chance to become an olympian.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:50 am

Deuce wrote:
baseball wrote:

Knutson has qualified for the olympic trials in 5 events and narrowly missed setting the all time hs record in the 200. (and she's only a sophmore) Every year the're are around 6 mr bb finalist, POY for each region/class and probably a 100 all-region fb selections across the 4 divisions. Not every year someone from ND has the chance to become an olympian.

why do you guys think im trying to diminish her skills as a swimmer. im not, olympic trials is amazing. but what part of "ALL-AROUND" dont you guys understand? that means great at more then one thing, shes great at swimming and hasnt proved in any other sport. thats all im saying. they may be 6 mr bball finalist, there may be 100 all region football players. and yea there is a POY of each region/class. but he was state player of the year. Bakkum was 4 year all district, 1st team all state as a senior in basketball, region player of the year, lions all star, and mr bball finalist. as a soph and jr he was all region as a football player so that goes to say that if he played and stayed healthy as a senior he wouldve been all region again. and in baseball he was the ace for 2 years, hit over .570 and and ERA of .70 while going 7-0 as a senior, atleast 3 year all-region, and STATE sr athlete of the year.

so my question is, of them 6 mr bball finalest, 100 all region players, and baseball sr POY....how many of the guys were all 3? thats what makes him all around.

Greatest one sport athlete, i would have to go with the olympic hopeful. but all around ill have to go with a guy who plays more then just one and gets that many awards in all. which is why i say Elgie is the best all-around athlete in North dakota this year
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:19 am

I was just saying she's not just a good swimmer and I wasn't trying to take anything away from Bakkum.

Being a standout in 3 sports is a great feat but not really that rare. One of my favorite jokes in college was during the first pregame football practice the coach would call out for the All-State team meaning the "good hands" team for onside kicking drills and we'd tell the frosh that it meant if you were all-state in hs you needed to go run out there and everyone of them would.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:25 pm

baseball wrote:

Man, im talking about the BEST all around athletes in the state. not some dudes who can play a little bit. im talking bout guys like phil shirek (not in ND anymore), jeremiah wurzbacher, zac elgie, cole frenzel, kyle carr, etc.
i apologize i have heard of Belquist. hes good for the bison, but ace and 3/4 hitter? he must have been a class B player because ive never heard of him unit he made a few catches this year for the bison. and bakkum? 2 time all region and senior athlete of the year in baseball for who?? my guess is hes another class B kid who dominated his town of 200 and is playing college ball at whapeton. check out the guys above, they are all (will all) be playing at big time schools because they are/were the best in the state.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:35 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:
baseball wrote:

Man, im talking about the BEST all around athletes in the state. not some dudes who can play a little bit. im talking bout guys like phil shirek (not in ND anymore), jeremiah wurzbacher, zac elgie, cole frenzel, kyle carr, etc.
i apologize i have heard of Belquist. hes good for the bison, but ace and 3/4 hitter? he must have been a class B player because ive never heard of him unit he made a few catches this year for the bison. and bakkum? 2 time all region and senior athlete of the year in baseball for who?? my guess is hes another class B kid who dominated his town of 200 and is playing college ball at whapeton. check out the guys above, they are all (will all) be playing at big time schools because they are/were the best in the state.

i said them were players i think about when i think all around...never said they were the top of my list. sorry, my mistake i guess??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics