BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: BEST ALL-AROUND ATHLETE IN NORTH DAKOTA?

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm

class B kid who dominated his town of 200 and is playing college ball at whapeton. check out the guys above, they are all (will all) be playing at big time schools because they are/were the best in the state.[/quote]
Try playing basketball at the U of M. That is the University of Mary.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MrFearing » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm

cubsfan wrote:class B kid who dominated his town of 200 and is playing college ball at whapeton. check out the guys above, they are all (will all) be playing at big time schools because they are/were the best in the state.

Try playing basketball at the U of M. That is the University of Mary.[/quote]

Just like ("A" players) Kick, Wilhelm, Belohlavek, and Fridley, who are all playing for the Marauders this year
MrFearing

Postby Sioux4ever » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 am

Deuce wrote:Not every year someone from ND has the chance to become an olympian.

The Lamoureux Twins have a chance to become Olympians in Women's Hockey. There are 2 additional ND'ans that have a chance to become Olympians.

The topic is not who is the best chance of becoming an Olympian. It is who is the best all-around athlete in ND.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
Deuce wrote:Not every year someone from ND has the chance to become an olympian.

The Lamoureux Twins have a chance to become Olympians in Women's Hockey. There are 2 additional ND'ans that have a chance to become Olympians.

The topic is not who is the best chance of becoming an Olympian. It is who is the best all-around athlete in ND.

first person so see that like i do......
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:22 am

MrFearing wrote:
cubsfan wrote:class B kid who dominated his town of 200 and is playing college ball at whapeton. check out the guys above, they are all (will all) be playing at big time schools because they are/were the best in the state.

Just like ("A" players) Kick, Wilhelm, Belohlavek, and Fridley, who are all playing for the Marauders this year[/quote]

What's the knock on playing at Whap?? Last time I checked they were one of the top JUCO programs in the nation. What about Class A player and Mr Bball Travis Mertens playing at LR? Are you knocking him now? Or doesn't he count as a Class A player since he played for a smaller Class A school?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:27 pm

what about a guy like purintun?

pretty good qb, scores 18-20 points a night in basketball and is a catcher for baseball...decent with the stick. don't know if he matches up with a guy like carr across the board, but in football he took down a couple of his records this season. i think i probably still give carr the nod in basketball and baseball, and i never did get to see carr play football...so i'm a little biased there.

i'd probably also toss out a vote for mccleary. 9-man senior of the year, will likely be a four-time state champion in wrestling and is a catcher for Steele-Dawson. Don't really know how good of a catcher he is, can't say if i've ever seen him play baseball.
rep

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:55 pm

rep wrote:what about a guy like purintun?

pretty good qb, scores 18-20 points a night in basketball and is a catcher for baseball...decent with the stick. don't know if he matches up with a guy like carr across the board, but in football he took down a couple of his records this season. i think i probably still give carr the nod in basketball and baseball, and i never did get to see carr play football...so i'm a little biased there.

i'd probably also toss out a vote for mccleary. 9-man senior of the year, will likely be a four-time state champion in wrestling and is a catcher for Steele-Dawson. Don't really know how good of a catcher he is, can't say if i've ever seen him play baseball.

McCleary has improved his catching each year hes been there. got a stron arm and a quick release if someone tries stealing on him. his hitting is behind tho, all arms and no legs. but at you can see by his upper body, if he touches one is gonna be hit hard. but thats just it, gotta touch it first.

When talking about napoleon, i would say Evan Gross. great running back, great wrestler, and was the center fielder and leadoff hitter for steele last year.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:57 pm

baseball wrote:
rep wrote:what about a guy like purintun?

McCleary has improved his catching each year hes been there. got a stron arm and a quick release if someone tries stealing on him. his hitting is behind tho, all arms and no legs. but at you can see by his upper body, if he touches one is gonna be hit hard. but thats just it, gotta touch it first.

When talking about napoleon, i would say Evan Gross. great running back, great wrestler, and was the center fielder and leadoff hitter for steele last year.

gross also had twice the intangible presence of mcclaery...i miss him rockin the mohawk. mccleary just went with the plain hairstyle...yawn.
rep

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Tanner Carpenter very good football, basketball, and baseball player in my mind. Probably not the BEST all around athlete in the state but he's a dang good all around athlete in North Dakota.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 pm

i like these names

surprised nobody has mentioned zach wentz though. better football QB than elgie, and is a very good baseball player. bismarcks legion's ace and aruguable best hitter.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby i_see_it_all » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:14 pm

MrFearing wrote:

Just like ("A" players) Kick, Wilhelm, Belohlavek, and Fridley, who are all playing for the Marauders this year[/quote]

i think theyve won 4-5 games this year. almost as many as the 9 they won last year. :lol:

great school for learning though.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby MrFearing » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:08 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
MrFearing wrote:

Just like ("A" players) Kick, Wilhelm, Belohlavek, and Fridley, who are all playing for the Marauders this year

What's the knock on playing at Whap?? Last time I checked they were one of the top JUCO programs in the nation. What about Class A player and Mr Bball Travis Mertens playing at LR? Are you knocking him now? Or doesn't he count as a Class A player since he played for a smaller Class A school?[/quote]

It would be nice to have him on your team, but I would rather have three finalists than just the winner
MrFearing

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:18 am

what about Ben Watkins from LaMoure.......region 3 player (fb), basketball (averaging double figs) , and signed to play baseball with the Jimmies?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby whocares? » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:21 am

last year i believe it would have been leutz, but if you go by best at each sport, it has to be zach elgie.
whocares?

Postby blue steel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:19 am

Kriss Mcleary this year, any body ever here of Kinsey Coles from Hillsboro? She helped hillsboro to a state volleyball championship, was an all state basketball player and made the olympic trials in track.
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Whats your guys take on better all-around... Kristen Killoran from Maple Valley or Zac Elgie from Minot?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

Somebody mentioned Jaime Mauch earlier. I think he should be included in the discussion

Really good football player. Was he All State?

Could be Region 1 basketball player of the year (him or Carlblom)

and, one of the top 5 discus throwers in Class B
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby smart source » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:38 am

Number7 wrote:Whats your guys take on better all-around... Kristen Killoran from Maple Valley or Zac Elgie from Minot?

like i already said i think the kid has like 9 allstate awards in 3 different sports and 2 louisville slugger all american awards and more than likely a third on the way not to mention he is being mentioned as possibly being drafted nobody has those type of awards
smart source

Postby i_see_it_all » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 pm

source got a good point. really is no contest for all around athlete. these class B region 634 players of the year just dont cut it.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby blue steel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 am

At least Class B has enough teams to have more than 2 regions
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby MHSfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 am

blue steel wrote:At least Class B has enough teams to have more than 2 regions

Really? Thats your argument? Its all about population, ND is a rural state so of course you are going to have a thousand towns, with teams having 5 towns in their co-op for their sport. Class A is more competitive overall in my opionion. Next time get a better argument than "At least Class B has enough teams to have more than 2 regions", thats weak.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 am

i_see_it_all wrote:source got a good point. really is no contest for all around athlete. these class B region 634 players of the year just dont cut it.

That makes no sense. Is it easier to make an allstate team when there's only 18 other teams or when there's 125 other teams in basketball? Is it easier to make allstate when there's 16 other teams or 24 or 50 in Class A fball or 9man?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:57 am

I'd say its easier to make it in class b. Simply because every starting 5 of the 18 class A teams would be better players than probably 110 or so of those class B teams. Simply because to make the starting 5 at a school like Fargo South you have to be better than a 1000 other boys in your school.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:13 am

[quote="Deuce"]I'd say its easier to make it in class b. Simply because every starting 5 of the 18 class A teams would be better players than probably 110 or so of those class B teams. Simply because to make the starting 5 at a school like Fargo South you have to be better than a 1000 other boys in your school.[/quote]

The argument isn't about the better player. My argument is about using allstate awards to prove a player is better. Yeah, those starting 5 at Fargo South are probably better than the starting 5 at 95% of the class B schools, but they are going to have a lot easier time getting postseason awards such as allstate compared to the class B players because of the fewer amount of teams and players. If a class B player makes allstate they are one heck of a player to beat out 1500 other players.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:17 am

The point I was making that if you add up the male population in all the class A schools compared to the male population in all of the class B schools its not the same ratio as your 125 vs 18 argument. So just because there's a 125 teams does not make it such an impossible feat to be the best 10 or 12 or whaterver they pick for 1st and 2nd teams because most of those schools put anyone and everyone on their team. In class A there's only 12 out of 500 - 1000 that even make the team.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics