South Fargo - 3rd High School

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

South Fargo - 3rd High School

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 am

Fargo opens a third high school in 2011. What do people think will happen? Will kids have a choice on which school to go to? What happens to the coaches? There are about 1600 10-12 graders currently at South. What happens to 9th grade? Will each school have the same enrollment? If split evenly, both schools will have about 1000 kids 9-12th. This will leave West Fargo the biggest with (correct me if wrong) about 2000 kids 9-12. How does South prepare athletic teams for the split? Do you open a new school and just have tryouts? Some of these kids would have been cut the prior year at South. Weird situation. Has anybody been through this? I imagine this split will cause headaches for a lot of people with everybody trying to figure out what is best for each individual.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: South Fargo - 3rd High School

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:38 am

I would guess that the best model for this situation would be CA schools. They have been adding new schools to communities for decades and have done so very effectively in terms of sports. A new school can instantly become a conference contender.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby thundercat 99 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 am

Is it actually called South Fargo? So there will be South Fargo and Fargo South?
What are their colors and mascot gonna be?
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:17 pm

It will not be called South Fargo. It will be called Fargo Something. They haven't decided what the "something" is.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:18 am

Hinsa wrote:It will not be called South Fargo. It will be called Fargo Something. They haven't decided what the "something" is.

Its not going to be called fargo anything...The three finalists for names are Lake Agassiz, Ron Davies, and Dakotah.

And yes...everything is planned out the transition. For example, in the next couple years, South will have 4 freshman teams. 2 that will go to south and 2 that will go to the new school. The next year The same will be done with the freshman and there will be two soph teams. One to south, one to the new school, the next year there would be two JV's and the year after would be the opening of the new school and all the teams will be in place.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:11 am

All schools carry the name of the town they sit in plus the name of the school. For example, Oak Grove is called Fargo Oak Grove, Shanley is called Fargo Shanley, Century is called Bismarck Century, St. Marys is called Bismarck St. Marys, Trinity High in Dickinson is called Dickinson Trinity, North is called Fargo North, Central is called Grand Forks Central, etc.

So the new school will be called Fargo Davies, or Fargo Lake Agassiz, or Fargo Dakotah.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Baller wrote:
Hinsa wrote:It will not be called South Fargo. It will be called Fargo Something. They haven't decided what the "something" is.

Its not going to be called fargo anything...The three finalists for names are Lake Agassiz, Ron Davies, and Dakotah.

And yes...everything is planned out the transition. For example, in the next couple years, South will have 4 freshman teams. 2 that will go to south and 2 that will go to the new school. The next year The same will be done with the freshman and there will be two soph teams. One to south, one to the new school, the next year there would be two JV's and the year after would be the opening of the new school and all the teams will be in place.[/quote]

So are you saying that next year the kids will know as freshman which high school they will end up with and the teams will be split then? If I understand you correctly, South will field two JV teams in a few years and will they both play a regular JV conference schedule? The new high school is supposed to open in 2011. I don't know if that is 2010-2011 or 2011-2012. If it is 2010-2011 then the freshmen would be split this year and I don't think that is happening. I just think it will be a mess with a lot of feelings hurt. Have boundary lines have been drawn dividing up the areas that will be going to each high school? Will this effect Fargo North High School at all? Thanks
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:30 pm

the new high school will open in 2011-2012 and the talk is that they will start splitting the freshman next year. I am not sure of all of the logistics of scheduling, but they hope to have lines drawn by next fall in order to do this. If they are not drawn, it is my understanding that when making teams, it will be with the understanding that students that come for CBE will go to South and students from Discovery will go to the new school. I am not sure about feeling getting hurt..It seems to me that this will give more kids the opportunity to play. My questions stem from the sophomore that plays varsity and is scheduled to go to the new high school...Now they play with one team as a soph and junior and expected to play with a new team their senior year. Hoping that there will be a grandfather clause for those kids. It will be a frustrating time for south fargo. From what I understand this won't effect North High, but things could change in the next couple years.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Number7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:35 pm

WF wont have 2000 kids 9-12 in 2011. There is currently around 1600 kids 9-12 and will prolly be around 1700-1800 in 4 years with the larger class sizes.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:09 pm

It certainly will provide more opportunities for the kids. Should also even things up a bit in the EDC. WF will be the big dog especially with their resistance to having two high schools. Just checked and WF does have 1683 in grades 9-12. What happens to South coaches? Do you think they will be able to apply for the new high school? Which school will be more attractive to a coach - the new high school or South?

By hard feelings I mean having to split classmates and friends. Has to happen and everybody will soon forget. I wonder if these two schools will be fierce rivals or still have a positive bond.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Talk about resistance to two schools. I know there is Minot Ryan but Minot is huge and should easily have two high schools like Bismarck, GF, or Fargo.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Number7 wrote:Talk about resistance to two schools. I know there is Minot Ryan but Minot is huge and should easily have two high schools like Bismarck, GF, or Fargo.

Good point! Minot taxpayers must not love their kids as much as Fargo, Bismarck, and GF taxpayers.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:16 pm

EDC wrote:It certainly will provide more opportunities for the kids. Should also even things up a bit in the EDC. WF will be the big dog especially with their resistance to having two high schools. Just checked and WF does have 1683 in grades 9-12. What happens to South coaches? Do you think they will be able to apply for the new high school? Which school will be more attractive to a coach - the new high school or South?

By hard feelings I mean having to split classmates and friends. Has to happen and everybody will soon forget. I wonder if these two schools will be fierce rivals or still have a positive bond.

Coaches will be able to apply for positions at the new school...I think that most coaches want to be at the new school. If you look at the demographics of South High's sports teams, most of their players come from the area that will be the new high school. Students are already upset. The 7th and 8th graders at Discovery have voiced their disapproval saying that they have grown up Bruins, cheered for the Bruins and have older siblings that were Bruins. They are expected to be Bruins for the first couple years of high school and then do not get to graduate Bruins. It is almost as if they are transfering to a new school for their senior year. You are right...There will be hard feelings.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:07 pm

It is official...The third high school will be named Ron Davies....He was a fargo native that was later named to the Supreme Court best known for ordering the integration of Little Rock High School in the 60's.

In honor of Davies, I think the new school colors should be balck and white. :twisted:
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 pm

A good choice. Is he still living? Anyway, another step to having a third highschool in Fargo a reality. Just stay away from red - too much of that already. Davies Desperados!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magic715 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:08 am

Number7 wrote:Talk about resistance to two schools. I know there is Minot Ryan but Minot is huge and should easily have two high schools like Bismarck, GF, or Fargo.

I may be wrong, but i think Minot schools are losing population, i believe 10 yrs ago or 15 minot had 2000 kids, but now they are around the 1500 mark. the reason for bismarck , fargo ,and eventually possible west fargo it that there is an expected increase in students. But i do think it would be nice if minot did have 2, more opportunities for good athletes to play.
magic715

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am

Baller wrote:It is official...The third high school will be named Ron Davies....He was a fargo native that was later named to the Supreme Court best known for ordering the integration of Little Rock High School in the 60's.

In honor of Davies, I think the new school colors should be balck and white. :twisted:

Check your history books. The Honorable Judge Davies was not on the Supreme Court. He served out his long career as a Federal Judge in Fargo. I was fourtunate to meet him and he was a wonderful man to know.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:24 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Baller wrote:It is official...The third high school will be named Ron Davies....He was a fargo native that was later named to the Supreme Court best known for ordering the integration of Little Rock High School in the 60's.

Check your history books. The Honorable Judge Davies was not on the Supreme Court. He served out his long career as a Federal Judge in Fargo. I was fourtunate to meet him and he was a wonderful man to know.

Did you meet him as a defendent or as a friend?:)
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:55 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

My bad...not a history major...don't really like history books...how did he get involved in the integration of Little Rock??
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 am

Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

My bad...not a history major...don't really like history books...how did he get involved in the integration of Little Rock??

The Federal Judges in Arkansas all "went on vacation", so Judge Davies went down there and made history. The Arkansas Judges were afraid to make a decision either way, so they literally took vacations or found other reasons not to sit on the bench for the trials. So Judge Davies was a supstitute which was good because he had no "southern" connections and did not have to live there after his decision. Either way he was a very interesting person to visit with and know.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:22 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

The Federal Judges in Arkansas all "went on vacation", so Judge Davies went down there and made history. The Arkansas Judges were afraid to make a decision either way, so they literally took vacations or found other reasons not to sit on the bench for the trials. So Judge Davies was a supstitute which was good because he had no "southern" connections and did not have to live there after his decision. Either way he was a very interesting person to visit with and know.

That is interesting...I hope that the students at the new high school are taught about who the person their school is named after was rather than guessing like me.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:39 am

Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

That is interesting...I hope that the students at the new high school are taught about who the person their school is named after was rather than guessing like me.

Hopefully they will find a few dollars of the millions they are paying for the school to at least put up a plaque with his biography. I can't help but say this, but I bet we here this cheer "HERE COME THE JUDGE!"
dgfsuperfan1

Postby 2008tournement » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Has a mascot name and school colors been decided on?
2008tournement

Postby Baller » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Eagles that are cardinal and gold....pretty much a rip off of Boston College
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:43 pm

What did someone way back in November suggest that Minot should have two HS schools. How didi i miss that? great idea i wish i could claim i thought of it first!!!!!! 8)
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Hot Topics