college scholarships

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby teamball » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:37 pm

I've read a lot of post's on here about getting notice by college coaches so you can get your college paid for. I'm interested in why so many of you think college athletes get there education payed. I've talked with many college players in Division 2 and NAIA and very few get a full ride. A lot of Football players get $500.00 a year or less. They play beacause they love the game. A starter on a DAC school basketball team might average $2000.00 a year. With tuition, books, fees, room and board costing  around $9,000.00 to $10,000.00 a year it's still going to cost a big chunk of change. I'm not talking about academic money or financial need money, because if you qualify you get that if you don't play sports. Saying you want to transfer to a different school to get notice doesn't seem to make sense. If your good enough to deserve a full ride the colleges will find you.

I'm interest to hear your comments.
teamball

Postby shs01240 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:46 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2728]teamball[/user] wrote:
I've read a lot of post's on here about getting notice by college coaches so you can get your college paid for. I'm interested in why so many of you think college athletes get there education payed. I've talked with many college players in Division 2 and NAIA and very few get a full ride. A lot of Football players get $500.00 a year or less. They play beacause they love the game. A starter on a DAC school basketball team might average $2000.00 a year. With tuition, books, fees, room and board costing  around $9,000.00 to $10,000.00 a year it's still going to cost a big chunk of change. I'm not talking about academic money or financial need money, because if you qualify you get that if you don't play sports. Saying you want to transfer to a different school to get notice doesn't seem to make sense. If your good enough to deserve a full ride the colleges will find you.

I'm interest to hear your comments.
</span>

You're right. Unless you go big time, athletic scholarships rarely amount to much. But anything is better than nothing.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:42 am

I think student athletes would be best suited by looking at the scholarship as a percentage of the total cost.  The state NAIA schools cost for a student are considerably less than NDSU/UND so they offer less scholarships dollars.  Schools can't offer a "true" full ride.  Tuition is the only area that can be offered in most schools.  That doesn't mean that you can't get academic or other scholarships above tuition.  That depends on the institution.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hot Topics