BHS vrs Minot

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Eminence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:03 am

How is it possible for a player's dad to ref a varsity high school game?  Isn't there a rule preventing this?  It's lopsided enough in sports with home field advantage but now we've resorted to parents?  There should be a rule against this.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 am

Eminence wrote:How is it possible for a player's dad to ref a varsity high school game?  Isn't there a rule preventing this?  It's lopsided enough in sports with home field advantage but now we've resorted to parents?  There should be a rule against this.

I agree...I also do not think that if a guy teaches at a school, he should be allowed to ref that school's game. example= Jeff Fiechner (sp) reffing at North
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:16 am

Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:16 am

Eminence wrote:How is it possible for a player's dad to ref a varsity high school game?  Isn't there a rule preventing this?  It's lopsided enough in sports with home field advantage but now we've resorted to parents?  There should be a rule against this.

I don't think there is a rule as long as he is a registered ref....but I still think it is unethical
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballer2 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Baller wrote:

I don't think there is a rule as long as he is a registered ref....but I still think it is unethical

not to be biased or anything and not saying anything changed the game... but in the 2004 state championship we played against cavalier and there head basketball coach/ athletic director umped our game against them... not saying it was lobsided... but as a person and referee you wuoldnt think you would put urself in that predicament?
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby smart source » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:16 pm

that was dumb how they handled the kid that moved here...he comes to live with his brother because of family problems and has lived in minot for sometime now and they are goin to punish him for that i mean honestly thats rediculous the kid didnt even start i believe so i think that they coulda used there head a bit more
smart source

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:06 pm

I think in every sport in every town, most of the refs either work for the school system or are graduates of the home team's school. There are a few exceptions in bigger towns like Fargo and maybe Grand Forks, but every Class B town and most Class A towns the refs/umps have a prior or current relationship with the school.

Obviously having a son/daughter on the team is more unusual and questionable, but in a game like soccer, there aren't that many officials and the pool is small. In the Minot area, there are only four registered officials in soccer. If two of those are out of town or can't work a game, that doesn't leave them many options. Not that they should use an unregistered official, but sometimes it's not that easy to find officials.
Y-not Daily

Postby Ming01 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:14 pm

well, no reason not to get a Bismarck official
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:44 am

happens a lot, way more than folks realize, examples:  holens down in lamoure have kids on teams, dean enzminger is father of tina nitschke (coach of e-k) he refereed her district and regional vb matches, joann isaacson has daughter on ek rebels vb team, does all of their home matches and she's secretary for the school, there's rotenberger down in gwinner, has kids on teams, refs those games

its all over, yep there's an ethical question, but illegal nope
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:23 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:happens a lot, way more than folks realize, examples:  holens down in lamoure have kids on teams, dean enzminger is father of tina nitschke (coach of e-k) he refereed her district and regional vb matches, joann isaacson has daughter on ek rebels vb team, does all of their home matches and she's secretary for the school, there's rotenberger down in gwinner, has kids on teams, refs those games

its all over, yep there's an ethical question, but illegal nope

Through sports, we teach our kids valuable life lessons.  What are we teaching them?  That it's ok if it is unethical as long as it isn't illegal?  Most businesses have ethical policies and it is about time the NDHSAA develops an ethical policy regarding refs.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Hot Topics