Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:24 am

Recruiting occurs in the area of tuition waivers or stipends.  Some schools use work study activities that public schools use to raise funds.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Batman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:20 am

I'm pretty sure most people are eligilble for tuition wavers and scholarships, because they are usually need based.  My experience was that you didn't have to be any athlete.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:26 pm

[user=428]PBKfan[/user] wrote:
Rebel is right here. Bowman would be in the state tourney had it not been for Trinity being able to recruit players.  Just not fair for private schools to be class B, no matter what there enrollment is. Feel sorry for Nic Zenker and the Bowman players and fans for being in that region. Hopefully Trinity loses by a lot.

Why feel sorry for Bowman? Give me the names of whose been recruited at Trinity that plays on this team this year? Was Bowman uncap-able of beating Trinity this year?? NO, because they had beat them this year. Trinity got it done and Bowman didn't. Trinity has won that region 7 out of 8 years, how many times have they won state? Once that i remember so they are beatable. Is Trinity beatable in other sports? YES they are, Cavalier did it three straight years in football. TRINITY is NOT UNBEATABLE!! I think if people really have a problem with Trinity and Minot Ryan being class B schools you should talk with people from the NDHSAA.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:28 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=428]PBKfan[/user] wrote:
Rebel is right here. Bowman would be in the state tourney had it not been for Trinity being able to recruit players.  Just not fair for private schools to be class B, no matter what there enrollment is. Feel sorry for Nic Zenker and the Bowman players and fans for being in that region. Hopefully Trinity loses by a lot.

Why feel sorry for Bowman? Give me the names of whose been recruited at Trinity that plays on this team this year? Was Bowman uncap-able of beating Trinity this year?? NO, because they had beat them this year. Trinity got it done and Bowman didn't. Trinity has won that region 7 out of 8 years, how many times have they won state? Once that i remember so they are beatable. Is Trinity beatable in other sports? YES they are, Cavalier did it three straight years in football. TRINITY is NOT UNBEATABLE!! I think if people really have a problem with Trinity and Minot Ryan being class B schools you should talk with people from the NDHSAA.

Amen!
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rebel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:37 pm

I actually feel that region 7 has just had some very strong teams over the last 5 or 6 years, and they just cannot seem to get past Trinity.  Whether it is a mental thing, playing on Trinity's home court, which I know some one will say does not matter, but it does :)  or that Trinity is just plain better.  Region 7 is just a very strong region and over the last 5 or 6 years they probably have had 3, sometimes even four teams that could compete  very well at the state tourny.  Trinity just happens to be the class of that region this decade :D  I commend Trinity for their hard work and dedication, it is just a fact that there are going to be some weaker regions each year and there is always going to be a team or two that sits at home and watches that probably would have went in many other regions. 
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby bluedevilbball » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:52 pm

5 or 6 years isn't a very long time not making it to state.
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby burner555 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:52 pm

this is a very stupid discussion, it should end here.   Yeah teams can get players to come in but public schools get players from other towns to come in to with the open enrollment.  Its just these private schools are in the bigger towns and they have more to choose from.  If a kid does not think he will be able to play at minot high for instance he can go to ryan. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:53 pm

Exactly.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldmanBBall » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:15 am

So What? thats still an advantage..there are way less private schools then public schools and 3 out of the 8 teams in the state tournament are private schools..hmm..thats odd..
OldmanBBall

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 am

What's your point?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby burner555 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 am

well bottineau is a good example of a public school with 2 starters from this years team that should be going to other schools. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldmanBBall » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:58 pm

My point is..there must be some advantage, you can't just say that they are that much better for athletics..
OldmanBBall

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I will ask you this. Are any of these private schools in the state B undefeated? Did any of these teams blow out teams in the region finals? Are these teams unbeatable?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldmanBBall » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Thats besides the point..the teams are in it and thats all that counts..
OldmanBBall

Postby burner555 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:18 pm

i think it is time to start giving the student athletes some credit.  The games still have to be played. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:35 pm

These schools are also in bigger towns, that has to be a factor I believe.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldmanBBall » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:40 pm

All the students are good players there is no doubt about that..yeah i would think population would be a factor.
OldmanBBall

Postby bill » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Rebel wrote:I am not sure if these schools recruit as much as alot of people think they do, but there is some of that going on whether people admitt it or not.  They also have other advantages as well.  For example, if you ever get a chance to see the weight room at Dickinson Trinity it is bigger and nicer than most colleges in the state!  They even have a weight training class as part of their school day.  Maybe that is common in some schools, but I had never heard of that before. 

This year 3 of the 8 schools in the B are private...Ryan, Trinity, and Shilo.  Oak Grove is always a contender.  Not sure what the answer is.....but it just does not seem fair.

rebel are you kidding me? dickinson trinity's weight room is bigger than most college weight rooms? lol. this is pretty funny considering you have obviously never seen it. it is one of the smallest weight rooms i have ever seen in my life. and say they do have a great weight room (which they don't), those weights don't lift themselves. give a little bit of credit to the athletes who are in there everyday busting thier butts to get better. and if you are going to accuse any private schools of recruiting, give me some facts. tell me some people who have been recruited from these schools? just because they can recruit kids doesnt mean that they do. and they dont recruit kids based on athletic ability. the only reason they recruit kids is just to get kids in thier school to pay the bills and keep the lights on. i have never heard of anyone being turned away from one of these schools you are referring to. dont hate on these kids just because they get to the state tournament frequently. dont blame recruiting when its just good old fashioned hard work, or could it be "divine intervention" perhaps?:shock:
bill

Postby Rebel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:24 pm

I have seen Trinity's weight room.  I have also been in the weight room in almost every school in District 13.  Trinity's is by far the nicest.   I also stated that they have a weight training class in their school which I don't think many other class B schools have. 

If you are going to quote my posts, then don't just take part of them and try and make it look like I am getting all over Trinity.  I stated very clearly in my post that trinity is, and I quote " the class of region 7 and I commend them for their hard work and dedication."

I was just trying to show that they may have some advantages, and one of them might be the weight training aspect. 

And...if the Trinity weight room is the smallest weight room you have ever seen in a class b high school you have not been around very much.  Most class B schools are lucky to have a small classroom set aside for weights. 

Once again, I feel the Trinity kids work very hard, and they deserve everything they get.  I was just trying to respond to the thread, that is all. 
Last edited by Rebel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby iluv4winds » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I have to agree with you on this one Rebel.  I actually drive delivery truck in Western ND which takes me to almost all of the schools in this portion of the state.  I don't think most people would believe how small some weight rooms are.  Trinity's is very nice, that is for sure, but you are right the kids still have to work hard.  I think the smallest one I had seen was probably in Bowman, looked like it really only had 4 or five pieces of equipment in it.  Mott Regent's is also quite small.  Glenn Ullin, nothing special, I could go on and on.  Just wanted to let you know from someone who has seen most of them you are right on there :)

By the way...GO FOUR WINDS!!!! :dude:
iluv4winds
NDPreps Rookie

Postby timmyg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:46 pm

There is no way that teams like May-Port CG should be in class A or a different class.  There is a huge misconception that MPCG is a huge school, when in reality it is just an average size school.  MPCG's enrollment grades 9-12 is easily under 200.  Other surrounding schools such as Thompson or Larimore have more kids than MPCG, should they be in a different class?  MPCG is just an average sized class B school that has happened to have a lot of success in class B- not a reason to have them in a different class.  As far as schools like trinity and such, you have to look at the numbers there, too.  If the numbers say class A (which I don't think they do) then make the move, but if they don't, stay as is.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bluedevilbball » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:46 pm

I agree Pingree doesn't even have a weight room.  Not saying that is what decides a good team these teams do have to put in the time to get to where they are now whether it be trinity or 4 winds or any of them.  It would just make it nicer for the kids to have a setup to where they wouldn't have to travel or pay for such things as a weight room.  By the way weight rooms really weren't the topic here.
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:07 pm

[user=420]OldmanBBall[/user] wrote:
Thats besides the point..the teams are in it and thats all that counts..

Its beside the point?? Why didn't you answer my simple questions? Because it would of proven my point that those three schools are beatable, the other teams just didn't get the job done when it counted.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby burner555 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:52 pm

are we seriously starting to get into kids lifting weights?  You guys are really starting to get deep.  Lifting weights does not make a great bb team. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:00 am

Their is now a weight training thread someone started, lets talk weight lifting in that thread and stick to the topic here.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics