Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby hoops42 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:35 am

Teams such as Shiloh Christian, Dickinson Trinity, Minot Ryan  are  teams located in Class A towns, is this fair to a team out in the middle of nowhere and is still in the same class as these other teams. There may be other teams out there, don't know but even Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg should be in a different class. There almost should be three class' in the State, I know this would be kind of tough but it seems to me that there is an unfair advantage there. What do you all think? Not hating on anyone, just looking for opinions. :)
Last edited by hoops42 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoops42

Postby the dynasty » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:44 am

I strongly disagree with you.  There is no advantage at all.  The schools that you mentioned are not any bigger then the average class B school.  The students dont go there for athletics or to be class B, they go there for the Religious based education.  
the dynasty

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:24 am

These schools have an advantage but i dont think we should go to 3 classes.  These schools can basically recruit players since they are christian schools.  They have more kids to pick from, a huge talent pool, and it is no coninsidence that these teams are hunting for a state tourney berth or a statle tilte every year.  But with all of this said it makes it interesting for other schools that play these teams in districts and regions.  Everyone wants to be the team to knock these guys out in tournament play. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:31 am

I would like to know everyone's definition of "recruiting"?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the dynasty » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:48 am

Recruit?  You have got to be joking me.  Its high school, you give me one example of one of these schools recruting, please.  Thats just outrageous.
the dynasty

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:56 am

Alright first i said these schools can basically recruit.  I'm not saying the coaches go out and recruit like colleges do, but they do have that opportunity, and if you guys think they dont have a wide variety of kids to pick from you guys are just plain blind and must be fans of these schools.  I have respect for the great teams these schools have put on the floor, and the kids wearing the jerseys, but you'll never find me cheering for them.   And i am pretty sure that we will see trinity and ryan in state this year.  That is what makes it great for Bowman, Glen Ullin, Velva, Bottineau, Westhope, and DLB they have something to shoot for, to knock these teams off before state. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 am

Now don't get me completely wrong on this comment (because I know there are times where people have been taken advantage of, made wrong decisions and like) but in most cases is it "recruiting" when a parent simply wants their child to attend a private school?

Like I said in parenthesis, I realize there have been times when power has been abused (coaches will recruit a player and sweet talk the parents and things of that nature) but by no means is that some "norm" that goes on.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 am

Here are my thoughts.  I went to both a public high school and then catholic after my family moved.  In the old days, Fargo Shanley had a reputation for recruiting under Sid Cichy, it may or may not have been deserved, I wasn't around.

It does cost a lot of money to send your kid to one of the Parochial schools in North Dakota.  As a result you are going to find that the vast majority of the students there are more highly motivated to excell at academics and athletics than at a public school because of the significant cost.  Therefore a student body of lets say 200, maybe likely to field a team comparable to a public school with an enrollment of 400.   These schools are set in areas with larger populations also, so they are drawing from a larger area than most of the other class B schools.  The NDHSAA   doesn't look at motivation factors they just look at overall numbers.  That's why most of these schools are classified as class B.

just my 2 cents.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:50 am

good point batman
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby supermang57 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:19 am

i dont think you can look at it as recruiting, becasue the school dosent pay the student to go to that school, the parents do, look at another class B private school in a class A town...Our Redemers, they have a pretty good girls basketball team....did they recruit all there players, no there familys jsut value the benifites of going to the private school, look at Bishop Ryan, they've always had a above average team, and they did make it to state 2 years ago...and i recall trinity made it that year too (and i belive they won...dont remember that far back really heh heh) but just because a smaller school in a larger town is having success and your small town team isent dosent mean they recruit. To say these small schools recruit is jsut BS, and i cant even belive someone would think that
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:25 am

I agree with Batman's sentiments and also have the experience of both private and public schooling including high school. Great point from supermang!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:42 am

Supermang these schools are not small look at the enrollments maybe our redeemers is, but how can you say that trinity is a small school?  Bishop Ryan was always one of the bigger class b schools but the last few years their enrollment is starting to decline but they are still one of the bigger schools.  And noone came out and said they were recruiting, they compared what they can do to recruiting, i think we hit a nerve with you or something.
Last edited by burner555 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:52 am

do you have any figures on players that have transferred from these highschools to the private schools during their highschool years. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:55 am

oh i know it happens and this is fun to argue about
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 pm

Oh, the glory days of the North Star!!! :dude:  Sorry, just stirred some memories!!  That being said, I believe that these schools can be selective and I am sure that some coaches are whispering in parents ears about the benefits of attending a private school.  To me the biggest thing is the fact that they are the larger Class B schools.
Last edited by WildWarrior on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 pm

I don't think any  coaches could get away with actively recruiting anymore without the whole world knowing about it.  I do think that parents are likely to send their kids to private schools for athletic purposes however.  Usually smaller schools don't use tryouts.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 pm

Don't some private schools give so called free rides to kids that are good in sports?
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby supermang57 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:25 pm

you guys did strike a nerve with me accually, i used to attend Bishop Ryan and transfered away and have now graduated, but i still have friends there, and they have had to deal with people saying they have recruited people to come play there...so someone saying that, kinda stuff me off
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:29 pm

yeah i have friends that have attended there to and i said i respect the players that wear the jerseys.  But i still agree with TNT.  It is not the kids fault, and you cant knock them down for it. 
Last edited by burner555 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:09 pm

I think it is wrong to give a player a free ride because he is good at sports, sports are second in school and academics should be number one why not give free rides to good students? 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby puck71 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:14 pm

TNT: If that were true it would be against all kinds of rules. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I highly doubt it happens very often.

Nobody has really offered any solid evidence on either side of the issue here, so I'll try to offer some. Oak Grove won state in 2000 and went undefeated. There were allegations of recruiting (mainly from students at other schools, but still allegations). Of the five starters, one started at Oak Grove in 7th grade, two started in 8th, one started in 9th, and one started in 10th. Nobody transferred from North or South - those that started later went to other private schools before Oak Grove (usually Park Christian, since they didn't have a high school program then).

Yes I'm biased since I graduated from Oak Grove in 2000, but the facts are the facts. If there was any recruiting it would have to have been in elementary school.
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby supermang57 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 pm

very good comment puck
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm not saying all the private schools recruit. A family has a few good basketball players and a booster knows they are unemployed so they offer them a job at the school to get the kids to come to that school is that right? Having list of kids by name and position and boosters going to talk to them about going to the school and helping them pay for school is that right?
Last edited by TNT on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:04 pm

I've never known an athlete to get his education paid for at a private institution because he or she was an athlete. I will concur in that the history of all man it probably has happened, but it does not occur anymore. There are very clear, and I might add, strict rules, regulations and laws against this.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Whats this thread suppose to be about? Are you trying to say Class B teams in class A towns should be class A also? Are we talking about conspiricy theorys of recruiting by these schools? If your gonna say they recruited give some examples of athletes that were recruited. Or is this suppose to be about the state making another class for the real small schools?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics