Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby puck71 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:11 am

All of the above I think. :)

TNT: No those hypothetical examples would not be right in that context. The job example is more ambiguous, because if the person is qualified I don't see how it would be a problem to give them a job if there was an opening available. The booster example clearly isn't allowed - it's not even allowed at the Division I level. But where are these schools with legions of "boosters" throwing money directly to athletes? I've never seen it...
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:36 am

puck71 so in college sports you do not think some college athletes get money or benefits? They do, is that in the open? No, it happens in private schools because the insentive is to win.  It does not happen all the time but if you need that 5th good starter to get to state insentive to win takes over. 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:00 am

TNT wrote:puck71 so in college sports you do not think some college athletes get money or benefits? They do, is that in the open? No, it happens in private schools because the insentive is to win.  It does not happen all the time but if you need that 5th good starter to get to state insentive to win takes over. 

We're not talking about college, so let's not have another topic diversion. If you have an instance where you can prove this happened in North Dakota at any of the schools in question please proceed with posting that information. Until then, it's simply your own speculation of what you think happens in relation to private schools and the athletes on their teams. puck71 offered a more than valid point about the Oak Grove team and you seem to be ignoring that point at all costs. All I'm asking is for a little walk behind the talk.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Irisheyes » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 am

My question about this thread is have their ever been non athlete kids denied from say Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh, or Oak Grove.  That is where my question would lie within.  If some students were getting in while others were not, then maybe some truth to part recruiting.  Are these schools set at a limit for enrollment?  Just Curious I guess.
Irisheyes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:01 am

To the best of my knowledge, at least the schools I have knowledge of, anyone can attend these schools and no one is being denied. There is also no set enrollment limit.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lefty » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 am

do some of these private schools control their enrollment and leave it right at the top of the class b limit though?
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:04 am

[user=29]1337[/user] wrote:

We're not talking about college, so let's not have another topic diversion. If you have an instance where you can prove this happened in North Dakota at any of the schools in question please proceed with posting that information. Until then, it's simply your own speculation of what you think happens in relation to private schools and the athletes on their teams. puck71 offered a more than valid point about the Oak Grove team and you seem to be ignoring that point at all costs. All I'm asking is for a little walk behind the talk.

I gave 2 examples with out very much detail but im not going to start putting names and schools.  To go along with the oak grove stuff like people do not have an idea who is going to be a good player when a kid is in 7-8 grade.
Last edited by TNT on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:21 am

I do understand not posting names or schools. That is commendable. However, this is sad if it has happened and will again state that to my knowledge this is by no means the norm.

*Edit for spelling*
Last edited by 1337 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:48 am

I know of plenty of Bismarck Century and Bismarck St. Mary's kids who have been called by BHS coaches to try and come to play there.  In almost every sport.  I know someone personally who attended St. Mary's last year, but was constanlty called everyday last school year to switch to BHS.  And it payed off, he is now attending BHS.  I beleive almost every school has recruited at one point in time, but its not just the parochial schools doing it!
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby puck71 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:04 am

Yes you can get some idea of talent in 7th or 8th grade (or even sooner) but there are very few players that are good enough at that age where it would be worth recruiting them and risking breaking these rules. From what I understood from the first posts in this thread it was asking more about players transferring from a bigger high school after they've already established themselves as a quality high school player (after 9th or 10th grade or so) and I'm saying I've never seen that happen at Oak Grove. If anything it goes the other way - if there's a good player at Oak Grove they sometimes transfer to North or South so they can get more exposure and play on a bigger stage.

I think the bigger part of my point was that the ones who came to Oak Grove later than the others only did so because they were finishing out their years at Park Christian (which only went up to 8th or 9th grade at that time). They didn't go to public school until 8th grade then switch to Oak Grove. Also, 3 of the starters had siblings that also went to Oak Grove, and 1 probably would have except Park Christian expanded to full high school so he stayed there instead. The other starter had only one sibling I believe who is several years older so it doesn't really apply. I doubt anyone has deep enough pockets to pay off three kids' tuition just to get the one star player to go there. At least not here. I can only speak for one private school - it may be totally different at some of the other schools mentioned. If you're referring to Oak Grove I'd be interested to hear which incidents you're talking about in a private message or e-mail. If it's another school it could very well be true...obviously everyone runs their school and program differently. There can be bad apples anywhere.
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:26 pm

puck71 wrote:I can only speak for one private school - it may be totally different at some of the other schools mentioned. If you're referring to Oak Grove I'd be interested to hear which incidents you're talking about in a private message or e-mail.

Are you referring to me?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby puck71 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Ming01 wrote:
puck71 wrote:I can only speak for one private school - it may be totally different at some of the other schools mentioned. If you're referring to Oak Grove I'd be interested to hear which incidents you're talking about in a private message or e-mail.

Are you referring to me?

No I was referring to TNT. But if you have something feel free to send me a message as well. :P
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the dynasty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 am

look at the last ten years of all the schools that were in the state tournaments. m-p-c-g is appears in state all the time winning titles even, probably more than any other school. does this mean that all co-op schools should be in a different class. maybe if you have to get ten schools together you have a larger selecting pool than most class B schools? also bottineau (which is not located in a class A toen or a private school) has more students than most class B school in the state, they might even have enough to go class A.
the dynasty

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm

I know of 2 individuals who I am good friends with that were recruited after freshman year of highschool to play at one of the supposed religious schools.  They both ended up playing 3 years of Varsity ball in which the team made 2 state appearances.  I am not going to name names or schools, but the people who don't think this happens are as nieve as it gets!  This always has and always will occur.  Now they don't necessarily give out money, but as a high schooler if you can get guarenteed playing time that is as good as Gold!
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:51 pm

I actually think it is great.  It gives the schools around them extra incentive to go out and beat them.  Extra motivation
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubball » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:54 pm

It may give them motivation but is that fair to other schools that are private schools? because schools that are private cant do that so how is it fair? ITS NOT
ndsubball

Postby Batman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:55 pm

One of my aunts sons coaches Velva (my cousin), another one of my aunts is a huge Minot Ryan supporter.  They got into it a few days ago about whether or not that big exchange student for Ryan was recruited or not, it reminded me of this topic. 
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby lefty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:58 pm

well...i dont think hes really an exchange student. most of them dont stay longer than a year. he wont home over the summer and they brought him back for his senior year.  how does that work???
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:05 pm

I think Velva's coach has bigger problem's to worry about than if Bojan Janic(Sp) was recruited or not
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby Batman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Well to his credit, he probably couldn't care less.  He's still had a pretty good year.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:12 pm

That team has been loaded with talent for 5 years and no region wins, on average im not sure they have had best talent in the region but for sure in the top 3.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby Trakud84 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:22 pm

I also know a  friend of mine, that was recruited after freshman year, coach kept calling, and wanting her to transfer.  I'm not saying it happens a lot, just every now and then.  Still there should be no reason for these private school to move up to class A, the rivarlies are more intense and adds another aspect into the game.
Trakud84

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:25 pm

It may give them motivation but is that fair to other schools that are private schools? because schools that are private cant do that so how is it fair? ITS NOT

Which schools are you saying are private and can't do this?  I am curious to know how you can say private schools can't do this.  They are the ones who are doing it.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 pm

TNT which team are you saying has been loaded with talent for the last 5 years and has no region wins?
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Velva
TNT
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics