Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Double Bonus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:58 am

It seems to me the real issue everybody has here is Trinity's success. It seems what everybody is trying to say is that Trinity should move to Class A but instead they are lumping ALL of the private schools in that category. I'll say it again, Our Redeemer's, Trinity Christian, Fargo Oak Grove would field terrible programs. Bishop Ryan would struggle as well. Trinity meets the required enrollment requirements. They are doing nothing wrong.

A few years ago some idiot school in the southwest tried to get a three class system going becuase they were sick of Trinity winning all of the time. That was shot down pretty good. This state is too small for a three class system. If towns are sick of Trinity winning, do something about it.
Double Bonus

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:02 am

Double Bonus wrote:It seems to me the real issue everybody has here is Trinity's success. It seems what everybody is trying to say is that Trinity should move to Class A but instead they are lumping ALL of the private schools in that category. I'll say it again, Our Redeemer's, Trinity Christian, Fargo Oak Grove would field terrible programs. Bishop Ryan would struggle as well. Trinity meets the required enrollment requirements. They are doing nothing wrong.

A few years ago some idiot school in the southwest tried to get a three class system going becuase they were sick of Trinity winning all of the time. That was shot down pretty good. This state is too small for a three class system. If towns are sick of Trinity winning, do something about it.

Are you telling them to recruit?  I guess I may have mis-understood your last line!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theefollman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:12 am

[user=12]SCC[/user] wrote:
Trinity would have less of a chance of making it if they had as many teams as some of the Eastern districts have.  Six teams in their district compared to nine or ten in some other districts is not fair.  Keep Trinity in Class B, but give them more teams to compete against.
I would have to disagree a lot with that comment. Trinity had a lot of competition this year with bowman and Glen Ulin hebron. It is less teams but that doesnt mean anything is easier. They have to still make it through districts. And it showed that it wouldnt matter if they had as many teams as the eastern regions do because they beat all of them or well it techniqually says they would since they beat the beast of the easts Mayport C-G and Four Winds.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Double Bonus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:10 am

No, I'm not telling anybody to recruit. What I mean by doing something about it is --- beat them. Then everybody will shut up and quit bitching about Trinity all of the time. Get a program where the players do as much work as the Trinity kids. Take them to off season tournaments and get a vigorous weight lifting program going. Make sure coaching stability stays in the program. Obviously some kids are just more athletic (like Landon Smith), so you can't do nothing about that. But fielding athletic kids shouldn't make a program move up to Class A.

Also with this recruiting issue: Has anybody noticed that Trinity seems to be more of a "family school." There's several last names that's synopsis with Trinity; so, the families who send their kids there must be pretty happy with it since I see a lot of familiar names.
Double Bonus

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 am

Yeah i agree with you Double Bonus!
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 am

Simple Solution:  If your school is in a Class A town, then you are a Class A school. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballcrasher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:08 am

What exactly is your definition of a CLASS A TOWN?? What the heck does that mean? Is Minot a Class A town...you should let Minot Ryan know then. What about Beulah...are they AA or just A? What about Hazen Hockey? Is that A or B? What about Williston? Better phone up Williston Trinity Christian. What exaclty defines a Class A town? Population? or whether or not they have a SUPER WALMART? If that's so...phone up Ken Keller...let him know he's in a Class A town. But wait...is he really? Has Dickinson High been dominating their respective Class? No...so maybe Dickinson is a class B town....it practically revolves around Trinity Athletics right now. Four trips to the post season for Trinity athletes....volleyball, boys and girls basketball, and football, not to forget 2 state champion wrestlers....hmmmm...now how do you really define a Class A town???
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm

[user=3]CLASSB2001[/user] wrote:
ndfan wrote:[user=3]CLASSB2001[/user] wrote:
If AA is that much better Cavalier team should have run over Velva this year.  Period. 

Over the last 10 years the foot speed and size of the athletes of the good A and AA programs is basically on par.  From Hunt to Steffes to Kittelson...all great college players.

No because they moved down for a reason to class A, cause they are no longer on PAR to compete with class AA teams. They only had two guys on their team this year that would even started for any of their state championship teams (Anderson, Vistad)
Cavalier would have been in the AA championship game last fall. Guaranteed.

Their would be no guarantee that team would have been in the championship game in AA last year. They had quite a few weaknesses on that team and it showed in the championship game against Velva.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportlvr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:41 pm

i agree with you nativegolfer!
sportlvr
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Simple solution:  Small school's in Class A towns belong in Class B, it isn't about how well you do in a sport, it's about enrollment.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby under armour » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Dickinson is pretty much inbetween classes, Trinity could possibly beat DHS in every boys sport this year. DHS doesn't have a strong program, they have their minds set on something else. Trinity cares about sports and they have a very strong program that will get the job done. If you want numbers, Trinity has 189 kids 9-12, that is not alot. Like I have been saying, it is all in the work and dedication from the players. Trinity has one of the best coaching programs you can ask for, in every sport. Their kids listen and they do everything possible from lifting, to summer camps, acceleration, or just shooting around.
under armour
NDPreps Starter

Postby rainmaker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:39 pm

What do DHS' kids have their minds set on?  Just curious!
Last edited by rainmaker on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball4life » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:57 am

i think it is rediculous to have perocial schools in there own class. it is wring to think perocial schools recruit bcause i know of several cases of the "BIG" schools recruiting people from the smaller schools. another thing is that i think alot of perocial schools are under alot of fire becuase the supposedly recruit and why doesnt anyone look at the big schools to see where there athletes have gone to school in the past
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby carolina blue » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:23 am

can someone please give an example of a private school recruiting.
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Mailing people info about their school and talking at certain things like CCD.  But they're allowed to recruit anyways.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Private schools have to send out brochures, and talk to CCD parents.  That is the only way to market a school.  They don't target just one or two individuals, they target different age groups.  I don't think people understand that private schools receive no tax payer assistance.  They can't go to a tax payer and force them to give additional help if there aren't enough students in their schools like public schools can. 
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby crazy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:19 pm

This is the worst topic ever because there is no way they could be in there own class or for the smaller schools to be in class A. and for the people who think that they limit there enrollment are abunch of idiots, these schools would love to have more kids at their school. the less kids come to these schools the higher the tuition is for the kids that do go to these schools.
crazy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edward III » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:29 pm

Call me "Crazy" also. If sending a CCD brochure out is recruiting then sending out a  property tax bill is recruiting for a public school.  
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball4life » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:54 am

ming exlpain to me how the private schools recruit. i dont think you know what your talking about. if you look at it why are the bigger schools beter. wouldnt you think then that if the private schools recruit wouldnt you think that some of the stars from the bigger schools would have been recruited?. i think you need to get the facts straight before you talk about this stuff 
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:08 am

baseball4life wrote:ming exlpain to me how the private schools recruit. i dont think you know what your talking about. if you look at it why are the bigger schools beter. wouldnt you think then that if the private schools recruit wouldnt you think that some of the stars from the bigger schools would have been recruited?. i think you need to get the facts straight before you talk about this stuff 

I dont know what I'm talking about?  Hmm... considering I attend a Catholic School.  Plus here at St. Mary's we dont recruit people to play sports, it's for enrollment and academics!  Some of you are getting it all wrong.
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball4life » Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 am

ok sorry i can understand that private schools recruit people for academics. but some of these other people talking about private schools recruiting are redickulous because big schools are worse at recruiting
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4life » Tue May 02, 2006 11:05 am

how do you determine a class a town or city. some of the"smaller towns" have just as much if not more students enrolled there so whos to say that if you in a class a town then you should be class a

baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue May 02, 2006 12:07 pm

but i do believe schools can petition to move up. same with 9 man. and A football or AA/AAA
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb » Sun May 07, 2006 2:16 pm

In response to private schools recruiting, they are playing Class B North Dakota High School Basketball.  In some states they do recruit players to play sports at a private school, like for instance, in Minnesota for hockey in the twin cities they do.  Ohio has private schools recruiting for basketball, but that is because they are on one of the highest levels of basketball in the nation, were some of there teams are ranked in the top 25 in the country.  Getting to my point, I don't see these schools recruiting players just to make it to the state tournament,  people like that come in because of parent's job opportunities and religious issues.  Maybe every here and there a parent will send their child to a private school because they have a good athletics program, but I highly doubt that is from being recruited.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:24 pm

A lot of those schools are boarding schools though.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics