Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:00 am

Weight training is part of this topic.  So is gym time, feeder programs, money for kids to go to camps, camps just for the team, advertising from large corporations and community within a community participation.

Trinity has a larger group of people to call on to be volunteer coaches, help raise funds etc. 

They host a district or regional tourney.  this means no travel issues during those events and home court advantage.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 am

burner555 wrote:are we seriously starting to get into kids lifting weights?  You guys are really starting to get deep.  Lifting weights does not make a great bb team. 

Shows what you know about sports.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Batman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 am

I disagree also, but everyone has their own opinions.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby West Dakota » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:55 am

There no doubt is an advantage for these schools, there have been three of these schools in the tourney each year since 2003.

Dickinson Trinity

Williston Trinity

Shiloh Christian

Dickinson Trinity

Minot Ryan

Shiloh Christian

Some of those year there were almost 4 but the others lost out in the regional championship games and such. And there hasn't been a year without at least one of them in it since 1998. The class B is not what it used to be that's for sure.

In this weeks tourney there will be players playing  that transfered to these schools as sophmores for basketball reasons that is a fact. And their parents were open about it when they did it saying "and we are getting so and so from here and we're trying to get  so and so from here". And they did it and they have been going to state ever since, that's just the way it is.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:42 am

Batman wrote: I disagree also, but everyone has their own opinions.

I can only speak from experience at Oak Grove, I currently have two sons there.  the main advantages I see are:

*Continuity:  Coach Carnal has been there for 20+ years.  He is a very good coach with a system that has proven to be successful.(500+ wins)  He sticks to what has worked for him.  A successful system gives you some consistency depsite fluxuations in talent.

* Exposure:  Being located in Fargo may give Oak Grove more newspaper, tv, & radio exposure than most class B schools.  This might affect some parents and kids decision in coming to Oak Grove.

*Location:  While there are a number of class B schools larger than Oak Grove, being located in Fargo does give them a larger potential pool of kids to draw from.  Having North, South, West Fargo, Shanley, & Park Christian in the same neighborhood can work against you though.  One of North's starters on this years championship club was originally at Oak Grove as a middle schooler, there are also kids who have left for West Fargo, & South in the last couple of years.

Oak Grove's championship in 2000 and state appearance the next year, was built around kids who started at Oak Grove as middle schoolers and worked their way up.  A number of them had parents, grandparents, etc who had been Grovers.  There is no "recruiting" that happens for athletics.  I grew up in a class B town in western ND, I think most families send their kids to Oak Grove for the faith component, smaller class sizes, academics, and opportunity to have kids involved speech, drama, music, etc., as well as athletics, much like you would at a school in a smaller community.  It's definitely a class B school.

digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby under armour » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:47 am

It might be weird for Trinity to have a weight lifting class. But 3/4 of the of the kids who take this class get up an hour before school starts to take the class because they have enough devotion to their sport of choice. Trinity's weight room may be nice around their district but it isn't anything special at all. The kids their work with what they got and it gets them to the 6 consecutive state apperances. The kids in the smaller weight rooms can do the same things as long as the have their head on the right way and do some hard work. BW
under armour
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballcrasher » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:10 am

It's not weird for Trinity to have a weights class. Dickinson High has a weights class, that's a Class A school...yes, with block scheduling. So think, a kid goes to school, has weights first in the morning, from 8 to 9:15 or so, then spends the rest of the day in classroom classes, then goes to practice after school at Dickinson High. At Trinity they come in for weights before the regular school day even starts. That's some dedication, eh? Seems pretty beneficial, doesn't it? Then why don't other schools do it? There is nothing in the NDHSAA that says there is anything illegal about having a weights class as an option for PE. Don't you think schools would enjoy getting their students more time to work out and stay healthy? The other point about Trinity being better is that numerous athletes at that school spend time over summer vacation at the Acceleration program at DSU. They put 8 weeks worth of their summer on hold to get bigger, faster, and stronger. Maybe this is why Trinity has been to 6 straight bball tourneys and factors into the high amount of post-season play the school has been experiencing.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:05 pm

I couldnt agree with you more.  Trinity is excellent at many sports because of their dedication.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby burner555 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:23 pm

Ming01 wrote:
burner555 wrote:are we seriously starting to get into kids lifting weights?  You guys are really starting to get deep.  Lifting weights does not make a great bb team. 

Shows what you know about sports.

ming most of these kids are lifting weights for football and not basketball.  Lifting weights does not help you play as a team, put the ball in the basket and work your butt off.  This is what it takes to have a good highschool basketball team in the state of north dakota.  And by the way, nice comeback.  I was sick of everyone making excuses for teams that dont have the opportuninty to lift weights. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:12 pm

Lifting weights does make you a better basketball player.  You might as well say lifting doesnt help you in any sport if you say it doesnt make you better at basketball.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby burner555 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:29 pm

i thought we were talking teams not individuals.
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:30 pm

Players are part of a team.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldmanBBall » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:59 pm

Alright, here it is..lifting weights would definatly make you a better player because your speed and endurance would increase, which is a large part of the game.  Sure, lifting weights can alter your shot but you could also adjust to it quickly if you played basketball regularly.  So yes, having a strong team would make a difference..it sure would be nice if Pingree or Buchanan had a weight lifting room from PBK.
OldmanBBall

Postby Bison Rule » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:33 pm

About ten years ago, my wife worked in a small office  which one of the other employees was for lack of a better term, the head recruiter (HR)  for the local private school.  He would go out and actively seek donations from individuals/businesses.  He was very good at it.  The largest single contribution I remember was over $800K.  Needless to say he was their hero.  Part of this money would go directly to the school and part would go into a special account.  Once or twice a year, HR and a couple other people would meet to discuss students of special interest (they would leave the door open so wifey could easily hear what was being said).  Some how, they would compile a list of potential students and as they would go down the list, they would always ask, has this kid got any special skills, is he a good looking quarterback, is she a grade A point guard, man that Smith kid has got a big time fast ball.  Any kid with these "special" skills would go to the top of the list and would essentially be offered a free ride (with the money coming from these private sources).  I don't know if this is still happening today.  I don't know if something similar is happening at other private schools.  But I do know what has happened in the past at this one.  So..... does this qualify as recruiting?  Is this fair?  Is this ethical?  I'll let you guys make the call.
Last edited by Bison Rule on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bison Rule

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:04 am

[user=441]Bison Rule[/user] wrote:
     About ten years ago, my wife worked in a small office  which one of the other employees was for lack of a better term, the head recruiter (HR)  for the local private school.  He would go out and actively seek donations from individuals/businesses.  He was very good at it.  The largest single contribution I remember was over $800K.  Needless to say he was their hero.  Part of this money would go directly to the school and part would go into a special account.  Once or twice a year, HR and a couple other people would meet to discuss students of special interest (they would leave the door open so wifey could easily hear what was being said).  Some how, they would compile a list of potential students and as they would go down the list, they would always ask, has this kid got any special skills, is he a good looking quarterback, is she a grade A point guard, man that Smith kid has got a big time fast ball.  Any kid with these "special" skills would go to the top of the list and would essentially be offered a free ride (with the money coming from these private sources).  I don't know if this is still happening today.  I don't know if something similar is happening at other private schools.  But I do know what has happened in the past at this one.  So..... does this qualify as recruiting?  Is this fair?  Is this ethical?  I'll let you guys make the call.

Did this happen in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's? What private school ya talking about?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison Rule » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:47 am

I think she worked there 2 years, probably 96' and 97'.  I wil not name the school. I still live here.  As you can probably guess, I wasn't real impressed with their actions
Bison Rule

Postby Ming01 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Private schools are allowed to recruit.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 333 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:09 pm

i think that private schools should be class A even if their enrollment isn't that high. i also think it is unfair that they can recruit. jarvis bearstail used to play for parshall until shiloh christian decided they had a job for his dad. but whatever...i guess we can let the private schools keep dominating the state tourney.  but in my opinion it would be nice to let some of the smaller schools have a better chance at getting to state.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:19 pm

i agree with 333
sportsfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:23 pm

[user=172]333[/user] wrote:
i think that private schools should be class A even if their enrollment isn't that high. i also think it is unfair that they can recruit. jarvis bearstail used to play for parshall until shiloh christian decided they had a job for his dad. but whatever...i guess we can let the private schools keep dominating the state tourney.  but in my opinion it would be nice to let some of the smaller schools have a better chance at getting to state.

Its wrong for a school to give somebody's dad a job?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 333 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:24 pm

no, it's not wrong for them to give somebody's dad a job but i'm pretty sure it wasn't his dad they wanted but it was jarvis that they wanted...so that's why i wasn't a big fan of the deal but whatever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:24 pm

How would you know that they did it to get Jarvis?  Thats pathetic. 
Also thats why these schools are allowed to recruit, because they're private!
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 333 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:35 am

that's why private schools shouldn't be class B...because they can recruit. how fair is it that they can find some of the best athletes and some way or another get them to go to their school? and they sometimes get the good athletes from the smaller schools...and that's not very cool for the smaller schools.

what ever happened to working with what you have? can't we save recruiting for college? that's just my opinion though...i'm not saying you have to agree with me.

and also...if you hadn't figured it out i'm from parshall...i don't know everything about the Jarvis thing but i do know a little bit....
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Dr. JA » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:39 am

Touche. These private schools have a larger talent pool to choose from, as well as recruit those from out of town. Trinity tried to get Jaden Voth to come play for them but the kid was smart and didn't. They should be class A, hands down. Its an unfair advantage to those of us who work with what we've got, rather than recruit and bribe others to fill those voids.
Dr. JA
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:39 pm

That doesn't make any sense to say they shouldnt be in class b because they can recruit.  They're allowed to recruit.  And they have the same number of kids at there school.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics