Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby smart source » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:43 pm

bballcrasher wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:the funny thing is that every person from Dickinson agreeing to stop this topic has either B basketball or AA football as their interestes, so obviously they are Trinity kids and/or fans...

I feel that the private school kids do not recruit but have a distinct advantage, but only in the fact that you can have a tremendous athlete in a city like Dickinson, which has more kids to choose from to begin with, and if they should so choose, they could go to Trinity.....

that's not all, this is nothing big, however, The kids that do live in towns such as Dickinson and go to a private school have the luxury of being friends with the public school athletes and playing whatever sport with them in their free time....whether this be a pickup football game (which isn't a very good example) or meeting up at the WEST RIVER COMMUNITY CENTER (which IS a VERY good example)

my main point is private schools are in larger cities and have access to better facilities for training year round.  It's not easy for a farm kid in Scranton to drive anywhere and hope to work on his/her game. That being said, the numbers are just not there to put them in a higher division, it's just that they have an advantage, but not enough to place them with the likes of Minot High or Bismarck High....WHEW!:blahblah: sorry

I guess I'm confused.... are you saying that Trinity kids are better at football because they can play a pickup football game with Dickinson High kids? Really? Last time I checked Trinity has been to more championship football games in the last 10 years than Dickinson High has. By your logic...you'd think that DHS kids have the best benefit...they get to be friends with Trinity kids and maybe get to play football with them. And you are also saying that there better athletes at Trinity than at Dickinson High?

If you play the numbers game and say, take the last 5 years...you have (for the males)

From Trinity: Landon Smith, Jake, Luke, and Marc Mellmer, Scott and Andy Murphy, Kyle Steffes, Kurt Holinka

From Dickinson High: Thomas Loegering, Troy Ott, Brett Bauer, Brett Holinka, Lucas Moorman, Andrew Brown, Tate Kick, Mitch Kudrna

Looks like a pretty even split...now factor in the enrollment, and pound for pound, looks like Trinity may have more college athletes...my apologies for any I missed....

Everyone benefits from a little friendly competition, Trinity is better because of Dickinson High and Dickinson High is better because of Trinity. I'm still waiting to pay big money to see a little on field, in season competition.

ok im not sure wat ur saying here but to me it sounds like your saying trinity has as good of players as class a teams?  just incase and i apologize if im incorrect and offend you but ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND! im so sick of hearing that class b sports are just as good as class a sports (not neccessarliy on this site but in real life talking to class b kids) i guarentee you match up any class a team other than valley city or st. mary and put them on the same basketball court as a class b team and they beat them by at least 50....class b could have a player or 2 that are as good as any class a player but the problem is #1 class a has way to much depth #2 generally as a team are bigger, stronger, and faster #3 they play better copetition day in and day out
Last edited by smart source on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smart source

Postby bballcrasher » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:29 pm

No, I did not say that Class B schools are better than Class A schools, if you could quote me saying that I'd appreciate it. To compare the Class A game against the Class B game is ridiculous, the speed is different (hello: shot clock for bball). I agree that a class A school would beat a class b school 9 times out of 10, but I do think that 1 out of 10 times a school like Trinity in Basketball and Napoleon in wrestling will give a class A school a run for their money.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby smart source » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:24 pm

ill give u napolean in wrestling bcuz they are freakishly good but trinity no
smart source

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:28 pm

bballcrasher,  I think you are kind of validating cityleaguer's point by stating that Trininty has had an disproportionate number of standout athletes compared to its student base numbers.  This could be the result of the larger population base in which the school resides which other schools the same size don't have.   Plus what cityleager was alluding to is if you can participate in summer leagues, camps, workouts etc with the class A athletes on a daily basis, that too could be deemed an advantage.

But in my opinion private shouldn't be class A just because they are a private school.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region1 football » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:11 pm

Growing up i have always been against the private school thing. But thinking about it now. We need the private schools there. You know how much pride it puts into these little schools when they beat them. I dont know if watchin the state B would be as much fun if we didnt have a private school there for the other teams to put the bullseye on, nomatter who is playing i always chear for the little team when it comes to them against a private school....just my opinion
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:09 pm

i get the feeling that you guys are lumping dickinson trinity in with a lot of private schools that it probably shouldn't be. out east things seem to be fine with Shanley and Oak grove. something to consider.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballcrasher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:51 am

I agree....something to be said about the Hazen and Beulah's of the world. These are the two schools who seem to be most upset about Trinity being in their region in Class B Basketball. Other private schools do not seem to be having the same problem that Trinity has in the west, but again, not many private schools out East have had the recent success that Trinity has had. Jealousy has reared it's ugly head.
Last edited by bballcrasher on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 am

Mediocracy will always discriminate excellence
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:31 am

bballcrasher wrote:I agree....something to be said about the Hazen and Beulah's of the world. These are the two schools who seem to be most upset about Trinity being in their region in Class B Basketball. Other private schools do not seem to be having the same problem that Trinity has in the west, but again, not many private schools out East have had the recent success that Trinity has had. Jealousy has reared it's ugly head.

that's probably true.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby YOUNGWONDER911 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:19 am

it is definatley the school size that matters, shiloh, might be big enough, however Dickinson trinity is definitly not
YOUNGWONDER911

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 pm

bballcrasher wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:the funny thing is that every person from Dickinson agreeing to stop this topic has either B basketball or AA football as their interestes, so obviously they are Trinity kids and/or fans...

I feel that the private school kids do not recruit but have a distinct advantage, but only in the fact that you can have a tremendous athlete in a city like Dickinson, which has more kids to choose from to begin with, and if they should so choose, they could go to Trinity.....

that's not all, this is nothing big, however, The kids that do live in towns such as Dickinson and go to a private school have the luxury of being friends with the public school athletes and playing whatever sport with them in their free time....whether this be a pickup football game (which isn't a very good example) or meeting up at the WEST RIVER COMMUNITY CENTER (which IS a VERY good example)

my main point is private schools are in larger cities and have access to better facilities for training year round.  It's not easy for a farm kid in Scranton to drive anywhere and hope to work on his/her game. That being said, the numbers are just not there to put them in a higher division, it's just that they have an advantage, but not enough to place them with the likes of Minot High or Bismarck High....WHEW!:blahblah: sorry

I guess I'm confused.... are you saying that Trinity kids are better at football because they can play a pickup football game with Dickinson High kids? Really? Last time I checked Trinity has been to more championship football games in the last 10 years than Dickinson High has. By your logic...you'd think that DHS kids have the best benefit...they get to be friends with Trinity kids and maybe get to play football with them. And you are also saying that there better athletes at Trinity than at Dickinson High?

If you play the numbers game and say, take the last 5 years...you have (for the males)

From Trinity: Landon Smith, Jake, Luke, and Marc Mellmer, Scott and Andy Murphy, Kyle Steffes, Kurt Holinka

From Dickinson High: Thomas Loegering, Troy Ott, Brett Bauer, Brett Holinka, Lucas Moorman, Andrew Brown, Tate Kick, Mitch Kudrna

Looks like a pretty even split...now factor in the enrollment, and pound for pound, looks like Trinity may have more college athletes...my apologies for any I missed....

Everyone benefits from a little friendly competition, Trinity is better because of Dickinson High and Dickinson High is better because of Trinity. I'm still waiting to pay big money to see a little on field, in season competition.

Actually you missed a lot....and by the way, Kurt Holinka transferred to Trinity his senior year so he could get more recognition in football.....so that really supplements my point as I don't think a farm kid from Scranton (sorry Scranton) can just go to the school next door to excel! Oh and I can't believe you didn't say Glasser for Trinity WOW! haha
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballcrasher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:13 pm

cityleaguer wrote:
bballcrasher wrote:

Actually you missed a lot....and by the way, Kurt Holinka transferred to Trinity his senior year so he could get more recognition in football.....so that really supplements my point as I don't think a farm kid from Scranton (sorry Scranton) can just go to the school next door to excel! Oh and I can't believe you didn't say Glasser for Trinity WOW! haha

I actually heard Kurt Holinka went to Trinity because his dad coaches at Trinity. And I did apoligize for anyone I missed...I'm not too into basketball, more of a football person, so he was overlooked....I apologize, you can tell him that I apoligize too, I realize after reading your posts you are a BIG basketball fan and really think highly of Chad.
Last edited by bballcrasher on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wrestler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:19 am

bballcrasher wrote:

Did you really just lump the murphy's in with that group of atheletes and no glasser.  You must be a Murphy.  There is no even split for athletes you must be a Titan named Murphy.

Trinity did recruit Matt Hirst when he moved to town.  He is not even catholic, but for some reason decided to go to Trinty, instead of being with the Class A state champs that year.  I wonder if he paid any tuition.:D
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballcrasher » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 am

Sorry, not a Murphy, never went to Trinity, never paid Tuition, as I'm pretty certain ALL students at trinity do.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jwall512 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Amen. to the subject Private schools shouldnt be class B
Stupid is as Stupid does

-Forrest Gump
Jwall512
NDPreps Starter

Postby grizz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:20 pm

bballcrasher wrote:Sorry, not a Murphy, never went to Trinity, never paid Tuition, as I'm pretty certain ALL students at trinity do.

All students DO pay tuition. There is a work study program to help out kids who want to go to Trinity but can't afford the costs. I don't think there has ever been a kid who went to Trinity and hasn't paid their tuiton.  
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Carl08 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm from Fargo and I watch Oak Grove a class B school be an average competitor in just about every sport year after year.  They concentrate MUCH more on academics than on athletic..more than your average public school.  Shanley at about 290 students competes with the big schools...every 4 years or so in basketball.  They do remarkably well for the numbers they work with.  It has nothing to do with private/public...they are motivated by pride!  There is not one girl or boy on the bball rosters this year that is on an "athletic scholarship" of any kind!  And the coaches do NOT recruit.  Just because Trinity has a good program built up doesn't mean all private schools shouldn't be class B!!  Maybe the Mandan girls shouldn't be able to play in ND class a because they're to good?!
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:28 am

This is why I think ND finally needs to go to a three class system.  Put the large A schools in the top division.....the smaller A schools, the private schools, and the larger B schools in a second division.....and the rest in a third. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:37 am

ndlionsfan wrote:This is why I think ND finally needs to go to a three class system.  Put the large A schools in the top division.....the smaller A schools, the private schools, and the larger B schools in a second division.....and the rest in a third. 

what about just moving private schools from Class A towns into Class A?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:37 am

ndlionsfan wrote:This is why I think ND finally needs to go to a three class system.  Put the large A schools in the top division.....the smaller A schools, the private schools, and the larger B schools in a second division.....and the rest in a third.
BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:15 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2232]ndlionsfan[/user] wrote:
This is why I think ND finally needs to go to a three class system.  Put the large A schools in the top division.....the smaller A schools, the private schools, and the larger B schools in a second division.....and the rest in a third. 
</span>

There is absolutely no way that Shanley will move down a division in anything but football...and even that may not happen (it should). They take way too much pride in the work and effort the STUDENT-athletes put into their sport. Just look to the fan support all the successful teams at SHS has gotten year as evidence.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughrider125 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:22 am

Class B complains way too much!!  There should be ONE class throughout...do it like NCAA March madness, everyone plays in their divisions...winner of regions both class A and B get to go + the best nonwinners.  Yes, usually a bigger school will win but there would be some crazy upsets and the tourney would bring in a ton of people!  Besides numbers aren't the issue...look at Shanley (who does NOT recruit) vs Valley City the better the competition is the better the teams are.  The reason many class B schools cant compete with class A is because they dont play them and get the chance to get better. 
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:45 am

roughrider125 wrote:Class B complains way too much!!  There should be ONE class throughout...do it like NCAA March madness, everyone plays in their divisions...winner of regions both class A and B get to go + the best nonwinners.  Yes, usually a bigger school will win but there would be some crazy upsets and the tourney would bring in a ton of people!  Besides numbers aren't the issue...look at Shanley (who does NOT recruit) vs Valley City the better the competition is the better the teams are.  The reason many class B schools cant compete with class A is because they dont play them and get the chance to get better.
nope that's ok....you guys can keep your class A, and your 18 teams......and have your little "super a" tournament where just under half of the teams make it to state......leave class b alone......it's done nothing but wrong while also being the Greatest Event in North Dakota.....and by the way.....i wouldnt be so sure that class a would beat class b all the time......
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:47 am

SCC wrote:How about we go with a 6-class system...  So many more teams would be winners!

if it was a vote. I'd vote for 1 class
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby roughrider125 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 am

The Schwab wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:Class B complains way too much!!  There should be ONE class throughout...do it like NCAA March madness, everyone plays in their divisions...winner of regions both class A and B get to go + the best nonwinners.  Yes, usually a bigger school will win but there would be some crazy upsets and the tourney would bring in a ton of people!  Besides numbers aren't the issue...look at Shanley (who does NOT recruit) vs Valley City the better the competition is the better the teams are.  The reason many class B schools cant compete with class A is because they dont play them and get the chance to get better.
nope that's ok....you guys can keep your class A, and your 18 teams......and have your little "super a" tournament where just under half of the teams make it to state......leave class b alone......it's done nothing but wrong while also being the Greatest Event in North Dakota.....and by the way.....i wouldnt be so sure that class a would beat class b all the time......

if class b sit there and complain about losing all the time to small private schools like DT don't think they could compete with big Class A schools!  You say leave Class A alone but there are 12 pages of posts that have people trying to change it and make it easier to get to state becuase a school like DT takes great pride their school and athletics
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics