Langdon recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby point/center » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:54 am

LANGDON, N.D.
School officials here have appealed a North Dakota High School Activities Association ruling that coaches broke rules by recruiting volleyball players from nearby Munich.
Langdon coaches met with three Munich players and their family members in a Munich home in February, according to Langdon Superintendent Rich Rogers. However, Rogers said, Munich players and their parents had already indicated to Langdon coaches that they wanted out of a cooperative agreement for volleyball with Cando, Bisbee-Egeland and Starkweather.
Cando, Bisbee-Egeland, Starkweather and Munich form the North Star volleyball co-op team.
Cando forwarded a letter to the activities association about the alleged recruiting. Sherm Sylling, the group's executive secretary, said he talked with administrators, coaches and parents and determined a rules infraction had occurred.
Langdon's appeal is to be heard by the association's executive committee Tuesday morning in Valley City. If the ruling is upheld, Langdon can appeal to the entire association board of directors.
Penalties can range from reprimands to a suspension of teams.
Rogers acknowledged that a mistake was made when the coaches visited the players and parents in the Munich home.
However, "We're stating that there was no intent to encourage dissolving of the present co-op or trying to influence them into a new one," he said. "We feel that was already in the works."
Munich has requested that the activities association dissolve its co-op with Cando, Bisbee-Egeland and Starkweather in volleyball. The school also has submitted a request to co-op with Langdon in the sport. Langdon also has done the paperwork for the co-op.
If Langdon wins its appeal, the requests could be voted on later Tuesday.
Cando Superintendent Mark Lindahl said he has received many calls from administrators and coaches who are following the case.
"This isn't college," Lindahl said. "College coaches come right into your living room and talk, and that's what happened."
Langdon has advanced to the Class B volleyball tournament nine straight seasons.
"We've had a good program and our girls have worked hard, our coaches have worked hard," Rogers said. "We hate to be in the center of controversy."
___
Information from: Grand Forks Herald, http://www.grandforksherald.com
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:36 am

well, now i suppose it is time to burn all those wretched public schools at the stake for recruiting...

i'm kind of curious if this will stop langdon from making it to state for the 10th straight year.
rep

Postby point/center » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:42 am

I'm hoping this will push NDHSAA to address recruting and transfer issues. That and changing the jacket color from green to hot pink.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 pm

point/center wrote:LANGDON, N.D.
School officials here have appealed a North Dakota High School Activities Association ruling that coaches broke rules by recruiting volleyball players from nearby Munich.
Langdon coaches met with three Munich players and their family members in a Munich home in February, according to Langdon Superintendent Rich Rogers. However, Rogers said, Munich players and their parents had already indicated to Langdon coaches that they wanted out of a cooperative agreement for volleyball with Cando, Bisbee-Egeland and Starkweather.
Cando, Bisbee-Egeland, Starkweather and Munich form the North Star volleyball co-op team.
Cando forwarded a letter to the activities association about the alleged recruiting. Sherm Sylling, the group's executive secretary, said he talked with administrators, coaches and parents and determined a rules infraction had occurred.
Langdon's appeal is to be heard by the association's executive committee Tuesday morning in Valley City. If the ruling is upheld, Langdon can appeal to the entire association board of directors.
Penalties can range from reprimands to a suspension of teams.
Rogers acknowledged that a mistake was made when the coaches visited the players and parents in the Munich home.
However, "We're stating that there was no intent to encourage dissolving of the present co-op or trying to influence them into a new one," he said. "We feel that was already in the works."
Munich has requested that the activities association dissolve its co-op with Cando, Bisbee-Egeland and Starkweather in volleyball. The school also has submitted a request to co-op with Langdon in the sport. Langdon also has done the paperwork for the co-op.
If Langdon wins its appeal, the requests could be voted on later Tuesday.
Cando Superintendent Mark Lindahl said he has received many calls from administrators and coaches who are following the case.
"This isn't college," Lindahl said. "College coaches come right into your living room and talk, and that's what happened."
Langdon has advanced to the Class B volleyball tournament nine straight seasons.
"We've had a good program and our girls have worked hard, our coaches have worked hard," Rogers said. "We hate to be in the center of controversy."
___
Information from: Grand Forks Herald, http://www.grandforksherald.com

Is it fair for the kids that participate in athletics at Langdon to have there season taken away because of a coaches and/or school officials mistakes? How irrate would you be if you had your senior season of basketball/football/volleyball/baseball taken away because your coaches were "recruiting".
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm

i think what they are trying to do is put a big umbrella of punishment over the school...not necessarily punish the team or the coaches...but to broad stroke it. the indiscretions of a few make for punishment of all...happens all the time.  

that said, if i was a parent of a langdon senior (or a junior, whatever, the people that had no part in it shouldn't be punished) that had no part of the recruiting and my kid was being punished, i'd try to get my kid transfered or something (though i don't know how that works...if you transfer over the summer do you still have to sit out for a while?)
rep

Postby shs01240 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:31 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:
i think what they are trying to do is put a big umbrella of punishment over the school...not necessarily punish the team or the coaches...but to broad stroke it. the indiscretions of a few make for punishment of all...happens all the time.  

that said, if i was a parent of a langdon senior (or a junior, whatever, the people that had no part in it shouldn't be punished) that had no part of the recruiting and my kid was being punished, i'd try to get my kid transfered or something (though i don't know how that works...if you transfer over the summer do you still have to sit out for a while?)
</span>

Thats a tough decision to make. Who wants to transfer in their last years of high school?
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:10 am

No doubt there was some kind of recruiting going on here. I would say penalize the coaches before ya penalize a team. Whether it be to fire them which i think would be going a little over the top or maybe taking away some of there coaching salary.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:06 pm

ndfan wrote:No doubt there was some kind of recruiting going on here. I would say penalize the coaches before ya penalize a team. Whether it be to fire them which i think would be going a little over the top or maybe taking away some of there coaching salary.

Not like they have very much to start with...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Income is income...Not everybody is a farmer :)

[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:
ndfan wrote:No doubt there was some kind of recruiting going on here. I would say penalize the coaches before ya penalize a team. Whether it be to fire them which i think would be going a little over the top or maybe taking away some of there coaching salary.

Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:22 pm

why would you think firing them would be too harsh.  they knew the rules and broke them, why do they deserve to stay a coach?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:08 pm

baseball wrote:why would you think firing them would be too harsh.  they knew the rules and broke them, why do they deserve to stay a coach?

Have to agree with baseball on this one, taking away their salary is hardly anything since hs coaches don't make that much. This would set a tone for others as well.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:51 pm

While punishing the team might be harsh, it needs to be done.  Its no different than if the coach played a player who was ineligible and the team had to forfeit the games they had played.  The coach has a responsibility to the program and the kids.  He let them down if they do get banned from the post season.  I wish the kids wouldn't get hurt but there really isn't a way to stop this dishonorable practice without drastic measures.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fbinnd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Funny how teams that recruit advance to state tournament after state tournament.

Where have I mentioned this before??
fbinnd

Postby Baller » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:11 pm

fbinnd wrote:Funny how teams that recruit advance to state tournament after state tournament.

your only arguement was against private schools so maybe you should be eating your words rather than being so cocky!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:46 pm

fbinnd wrote:Funny how teams that recruit advance to state tournament after state tournament.

maybe kids work hard at a young age huh?? does Velva recruit, no.....Trinity, no.....Linton, no.  instead of look at the teams that make it, look at the names of the kids playing,  alot of them will be similar
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby vballfan06 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:28 pm

my guess is that the team will not be banned for post season play---but the coaches would...and that would be about it.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:36 pm

Baller wrote:

your only arguement was against private schools so maybe you should be eating your words rather than being so cocky!

no he has no credibilty left on this site so anything he says can be taken as seriously as what you did in the toilet sitting down............but this proves the private schools argument even more if they recruit so much why not have an investigation?? too bad those girls probably just wanted to play volleball and win I understand where there coming from it would be horrible to be the best player on a crappy team
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:46 am

ndfan wrote:Income is income...Not everybody is a farmer :)

Wo wo wo, I never said it wasn't income. But it's not like coaches live off there coaching salary. It is usually just a extra couple thousand dollars off the side of the teaching salary. You will never see someone just coach in North Dakota high school sports.

And by the way, how did you know I'm a famer? haha:P
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:52 am

baller01 wrote:

Wo wo wo, I never said it wasn't income. But it's not like coaches live off there coaching salary. It is usually just a extra couple thousand dollars off the side of the teaching salary. You will never see someone just coach in North Dakota high school sports.

baller01, fbinnd is not gonna like this....he thinks hes argueing a farmer about recruiting. then again it is north dakota....who isnt a farmer haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

haha I wasn't saying anybody on here were farmers, I just used them as a example.

Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Who are the people that were "recruited" to Langdon?  What is the coaches or the administration or both that lured the students?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:00 am

the coaches knew what they were doing......the kids knew what was going on......if you meet privately like that......you know what you're doing......in this day, no one is that stupid about recruitment........i'm afraid i believe there should be some punishment for the kids as well.....they and their families are just as guilty as the coaches.....but the kids still allowed to shift to langdon and play even tho they also violated the rules.....that's wrong......over on the other message board, who's big in 2007 vb, tadam was bragging about wirth going to langdon on june 7.......so people knew what they were doing......
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:52 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:the coaches knew what they were doing......the kids knew what was going on......if you meet privately like that......you know what you're doing......in this day, no one is that stupid about recruitment........i'm afraid i believe there should be some punishment for the kids as well.....they and their families are just as guilty as the coaches.....but the kids still allowed to shift to langdon and play even tho they also violated the rules.....that's wrong......over on the other message board, who's big in 2007 vb, tadam was bragging about wirth going to langdon on june 7.......so people knew what they were doing......
this isn't about one player or family though...it is about an entire town that  wants to change coops...the paperwork was already filed with the NDHSAA before there were any meetings.  I need more information before I can really form an opinion on this one.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:13 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:the coaches knew what they were doing......the kids knew what was going on......if you meet privately like that......you know what you're doing......in this day, no one is that stupid about recruitment........i'm afraid i believe there should be some punishment for the kids as well.....they and their families are just as guilty as the coaches.....but the kids still allowed to shift to langdon and play even tho they also violated the rules.....that's wrong......over on the other message board, who's big in 2007 vb, tadam was bragging about wirth going to langdon on june 7.......so people knew what they were doing......

maybe punishment for for the kids the coaches met with but to punish the whole Langdon team wouldnt be right
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby fighting_sioux_fan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:55 am

Baller wrote:
this isn't about one player or family though...it is about an entire town that  wants to change coops...the paperwork was already filed with the NDHSAA before there were any meetings.  I need more information before I can really form an opinion on this one.

hey everyone, this is Brittany Wirth....I’ve been watching this site for awhile now and it has been kind of upsetting for me that some of you people have your minds made up on this situation without knowing the facts......I guess that’s why I’m posting this message....this may or may not influence your opinions on this situation, but at least you'll know what happened...
Our coop between Cando and Munich is and has been an issue of safety and personal expense for our parents. There isn't a driver provided to take us to Cando which means we have to transport ourselves. Last year we had 3 girls participating in volleyball and probably only 2 participating next season and a chance of only 1. Nothing has ever been done about this transportation issue even though our parents have tried many times to discuss it with the people in charge. Munich is already in a coop with Langdon for football, track and possibly cross country. A driver and a vehicle are provided for our football players to be transported to Langdon. Volleyball and football are during the same season which means the volleyball players could easily ride the van with the football players to Langdon, which would eliminate our parent’s safety and expense concerns. Back in November our parents took it upon themselves to look into changing the coop from Cando to Langdon for safety and transportation reasons and brought it up to our school board. Our parents approached coach Olson and asked him if Langdon would be interested in having the Munich girls join their volleyball program because a van would be provided and our ongoing problem with transportation could be completely eliminated by having an adult driving us to practice everyday instead of us driving ourselves. After checking with his administration and players he told my parents that everyone thought it would be ok.  My parents then asked Mr. Olsen to come to our home with the other Munich players and their parents to answer any questions anyone may have. He never talked about anything other than the Langdon volleyball program.  He never approached me or my parents or any of the other volleyball girls and their parents about coming to Langdon. Any contact that we had with him we initiated. Mr. Olsen was my track coach a couple years ago and like all of my previous coaches I like to visit with them. Unfortunately, after all of this, that may change because people seem to take it upon themselves to make a friendly conversation turn into a recruitment issue!!!  As far as Langdon recruiting anyone, if people would just stop and think about it, Langdon doesn’t have to recruit. Langdon has everything they need with their own players. They have very dedicated and motivated players who work hard to get as far as they get every year.  Langdon doesn’t deserve what is happening to them because of this coop issue. People that are making judgment calls without knowing the true facts need to find out the facts before they hurt someone’s credibility.
fighting_sioux_fan
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Hot Topics