Langdon recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby hgkmjtkitxf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 am

Thank you very much Brittany...I too was getting upset by all of the assumptions.
hgkmjtkitxf

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am

fighting_sioux_fan wrote:
Baller wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:the coaches knew what they were doing......the kids knew what was going on......if you meet privately like that......you know what you're doing......in this day, no one is that stupid about recruitment........i'm afraid i believe there should be some punishment for the kids as well.....they and their families are just as guilty as the coaches.....but the kids still allowed to shift to langdon and play even tho they also violated the rules.....that's wrong......over on the other message board, who's big in 2007 vb, tadam was bragging about wirth going to langdon on june 7.......so people knew what they were doing......
this isn't about one player or family though...it is about an entire town that  wants to change coops...the paperwork was already filed with the NDHSAA before there were any meetings.  I need more information before I can really form an opinion on this one.

hey everyone, this is Brittany Wirth....I’ve been watching this site for awhile now and it has been kind of upsetting for me that some of you people have your minds made up on this situation without knowing the facts......I guess that’s why I’m posting this message....this may or may not influence your opinions on this situation, but at least you'll know what happened...
Our coop between Cando and Munich is and has been an issue of safety and personal expense for our parents. There isn't a driver provided to take us to Cando which means we have to transport ourselves. Last year we had 3 girls participating in volleyball and probably only 2 participating next season and a chance of only 1. Nothing has ever been done about this transportation issue even though our parents have tried many times to discuss it with the people in charge. Munich is already in a coop with Langdon for football, track and possibly cross country. A driver and a vehicle are provided for our football players to be transported to Langdon. Volleyball and football are during the same season which means the volleyball players could easily ride the van with the football players to Langdon, which would eliminate our parent’s safety and expense concerns. Back in November our parents took it upon themselves to look into changing the coop from Cando to Langdon for safety and transportation reasons and brought it up to our school board. Our parents approached coach Olson and asked him if Langdon would be interested in having the Munich girls join their volleyball program because a van would be provided and our ongoing problem with transportation could be completely eliminated by having an adult driving us to practice everyday instead of us driving ourselves. After checking with his administration and players he told my parents that everyone thought it would be ok.  My parents then asked Mr. Olsen to come to our home with the other Munich players and their parents to answer any questions anyone may have. He never talked about anything other than the Langdon volleyball program.  He never approached me or my parents or any of the other volleyball girls and their parents about coming to Langdon. Any contact that we had with him we initiated. Mr. Olsen was my track coach a couple years ago and like all of my previous coaches I like to visit with them. Unfortunately, after all of this, that may change because people seem to take it upon themselves to make a friendly conversation turn into a recruitment issue!!!  As far as Langdon recruiting anyone, if people would just stop and think about it, Langdon doesn’t have to recruit. Langdon has everything they need with their own players. They have very dedicated and motivated players who work hard to get as far as they get every year.  Langdon doesn’t deserve what is happening to them because of this coop issue. People that are making judgment calls without knowing the true facts need to find out the facts before they hurt someone’s credibility.

i understand what your saying and i see why you get upset......BUT!! a coach came into the homes of kids not playing for him to talk about playing for that school.....aka recruiting, doesnt matter who initiates the converstaion
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 am

she makes it sound like they were going to come there anyway so it really wouldnt matter if they had a meeting with the coach or not their minds were already made up

blown out of proportion

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stromer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:41 am

The thing we need to keep in mind is that the NDHSAA has not decided whether to approve the new co-op with Langdon and disolve the one with Cando.  If they decide not to do it, these kids would still be playing for Cando if they decide to play.  Any talk about playing time, possible scholarships, or anything else would then be considered recruiting.  Just because these girls and their parents want to go to Langdon, that might not be what the NDHSAA and the school administration want. 
Last edited by Stromer on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:46 am

fighting_sioux_fan wrote:hey everyone, this is Brittany Wirth....I’ve been watching this site for awhile now and it has been kind of upsetting for me that some of you people have your minds made up on this situation without knowing the facts......I guess that’s why I’m posting this message....this may or may not influence your opinions on this situation, but at least you'll know what happened...
Our coop between Cando and Munich is and has been an issue of safety and personal expense for our parents. There isn't a driver provided to take us to Cando which means we have to transport ourselves. Last year we had 3 girls participating in volleyball and probably only 2 participating next season and a chance of only 1. Nothing has ever been done about this transportation issue even though our parents have tried many times to discuss it with the people in charge. Munich is already in a coop with Langdon for football, track and possibly cross country. A driver and a vehicle are provided for our football players to be transported to Langdon. Volleyball and football are during the same season which means the volleyball players could easily ride the van with the football players to Langdon, which would eliminate our parent’s safety and expense concerns. Back in November our parents took it upon themselves to look into changing the coop from Cando to Langdon for safety and transportation reasons and brought it up to our school board. Our parents approached coach Olson and asked him if Langdon would be interested in having the Munich girls join their volleyball program because a van would be provided and our ongoing problem with transportation could be completely eliminated by having an adult driving us to practice everyday instead of us driving ourselves. After checking with his administration and players he told my parents that everyone thought it would be ok.  My parents then asked Mr. Olsen to come to our home with the other Munich players and their parents to answer any questions anyone may have. He never talked about anything other than the Langdon volleyball program.  He never approached me or my parents or any of the other volleyball girls and their parents about coming to Langdon. Any contact that we had with him we initiated. Mr. Olsen was my track coach a couple years ago and like all of my previous coaches I like to visit with them. Unfortunately, after all of this, that may change because people seem to take it upon themselves to make a friendly conversation turn into a recruitment issue!!!  As far as Langdon recruiting anyone, if people would just stop and think about it, Langdon doesn’t have to recruit. Langdon has everything they need with their own players. They have very dedicated and motivated players who work hard to get as far as they get every year.  Langdon doesn’t deserve what is happening to them because of this coop issue. People that are making judgment calls without knowing the true facts need to find out the facts before they hurt someone’s credibility.

Do you not get reimbursed for gas?  I know this is how many co-ops run and it would seem odd if this volleyball co-op is different.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fighting_sioux_fan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:13 am

Stromer wrote:
fighting_sioux_fan wrote:hey everyone, this is Brittany Wirth....I’ve been watching this site for awhile now and it has been kind of upsetting for me that some of you people have your minds made up on this situation without knowing the facts......I guess that’s why I’m posting this message....this may or may not influence your opinions on this situation, but at least you'll know what happened...

Do you not get reimbursed for gas?  I know this is how many co-ops run and it would seem odd if this volleyball co-op is different.

no stromer, we have never been reimbursed since we started using our own vehicles and that is why this has been an issue for our parents. not only because of expense but our parents were concerned for saftey reasons as well. we would be driving late at night after games, some being very late depending on how far away they were.

we all have parents that drive in diffent directions for their jobs everyday so this was a third vehicle of ours going in another direction which is a HUGE expense. with the football van leaving munich and going to langdon this would elimate the added expense of a third vehicle for our families. our parents have tried several times to get some compensation for our traveling expenses but that has been very unsuccessful....
fighting_sioux_fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am

Stromer wrote:The thing we need to keep in mind is that the NDHSAA has not decided whether to approve the new co-op with Langdon and disolve the one with Cando.  If they decide not to do it, these kids would still be playing for Cando if they decide to play.  Any talk about playing time, possible scholarships, or anything else would then be considered recruiting.  Just because these girls and their parents what to go to Langdon, that might not be what the NDHSAA and the school administration want. 

best post on this topic yet.  just because they want to go doesnt mean its not recruiting.  if a kid signs with a college does that coach just not talk to them again til the next season, no. they keep contact to make sure they stay happy and stay with there school....its all part of the "recruiting" process.  maybe it is getting blown out of proportion but it was still against the rules set down by the NDHSAA.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:32 pm

baseball wrote:
Stromer wrote:The thing we need to keep in mind is that the NDHSAA has not decided whether to approve the new co-op with Langdon and disolve the one with Cando.  If they decide not to do it, these kids would still be playing for Cando if they decide to play.  Any talk about playing time, possible scholarships, or anything else would then be considered recruiting.  Just because these girls and their parents what to go to Langdon, that might not be what the NDHSAA and the school administration want. 

best post on this topic yet.  just because they want to go doesnt mean its not recruiting.  if a kid signs with a college does that coach just not talk to them again til the next season, no. they keep contact to make sure they stay happy and stay with there school....its all part of the "recruiting" process.  maybe it is getting blown out of proportion but it was still against the rules set down by the NDHSAA.

ya that is true i think the ndhsaa needs to make all of their rules more known to everybody it would help eliminate things like this where NOONE was trying to be sneaky and get away with anything

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:50 pm

agree with baseball, sorry miss wirth, you guys blew it......it's against the rules, period what you did.....and the ndhsaa rules are clear...........you're wrong cdub1, it is clearly stated.

and yes, baseball i meant the kids who violated not the whole langdon team.......
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:05 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:agree with baseball, sorry miss wirth, you guys blew it......it's against the rules, period what you did.....and the ndhsaa rules are clear...........you're wrong cdub1, it is clearly stated.

and yes, baseball i meant the kids who violated not the whole langdon team.......

i bet it is clearly stated but im wondering how many people know the actual rules i have never seen any of these rules

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stromer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:31 pm

cdub1 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:agree with baseball, sorry miss wirth, you guys blew it......it's against the rules, period what you did.....and the ndhsaa rules are clear...........you're wrong cdub1, it is clearly stated.

i bet it is clearly stated but im wondering how many people know the actual rules i have never seen any of these rules

Even if it is clearly stated, I would not expect the kids or parents to know all of the rules.  That being said, it seems like if they used a little common sense that it would seem a little wrong.  The one person who should know the rules, however, is the coach.  He should have known it was a little questionable to meet players for another school. 
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Stromer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Even if it is clearly stated, I would not expect the kids or parents to know all of the rules.  That being said, it seems like if they used a little common sense that it would seem a little wrong.  The one person who should know the rules, however, is the coach.  He should have known it was a little questionable to meet players for another school. 

ya thats wut i mean i have no idea all of the ndhsaa's rules there have got to be hundreds or thousands of them

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:56 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Stromer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

ya thats wut i mean i have no idea all of the ndhsaa's rules there have got to be hundreds or thousands of them

which is why they have coaches meetings.......go over the rules and penalties for violations.  its not the parents fault for schedualing the meeting, they didnt see the rules like cdub says.  its the coaches fault for showing up to the meeting since he does know the rules
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby paperboy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Thanks for posting that reply, Britney, and clearing things up.  I knew there was no recruiting going on as I have steadfastly argued that recruiting doesn't happen in ND...not where administrators or coaches meet with parents of prospective students, contrary to what fbinnd contends.  He is completely wrong about his assertation that private schools (or public schools) recruit.  And he has not taken the time to answer my questions and for that I have less respect for him.
paperboy

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:49 pm

paperboy wrote:Thanks for posting that reply, Britney, and clearing things up.  I knew there was no recruiting going on as I have steadfastly argued that recruiting doesn't happen in ND...not where administrators or coaches meet with parents of prospective students, contrary to what fbinnd contends.  He is completely wrong about his assertation that private schools (or public schools) recruit.  And he has not taken the time to answer my questions and for that I have less respect for him.

i posted earlier.....a coach from school A goes into the home of students from school B to talk about leaving school B and playing a sport at school A.  If you talk to someone about coming to your school to play sports and they are not already enrolled in that school it IS recruiting.  i agree with you that fbinnd is wrong accusing all private schools of recruiting and great public school teams as well.  but this is a case in which recruiting did happen, even if it is the simplest of forms.......if the co-op munich alreayd had with cando was dissolved and a co-op with langdon was approved it would not be considered recruiting but just talking over changes from School A to School B, but thats not the case.  Britney Wirth can say it all she wants but the fact is it was recruiting and was not within the rules and regulations set by NDHSAA, thus there will most likely be a penelty coming towards the Langdon coaching staff, and possibly but not likely to Wirth and her Munich friends.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:14 pm

baseball wrote:
paperboy wrote:Thanks for posting that reply, Britney, and clearing things up.  I knew there was no recruiting going on as I have steadfastly argued that recruiting doesn't happen in ND...not where administrators or coaches meet with parents of prospective students, contrary to what fbinnd contends.  He is completely wrong about his assertation that private schools (or public schools) recruit.  And he has not taken the time to answer my questions and for that I have less respect for him.

i posted earlier.....a coach from school A goes into the home of students from school B to talk about leaving school B and playing a sport at school A.  If you talk to someone about coming to your school to play sports and they are not already enrolled in that school it IS recruiting.  i agree with you that fbinnd is wrong accusing all private schools of recruiting and great public school teams as well.  but this is a case in which recruiting did happen, even if it is the simplest of forms.......if the co-op munich alreayd had with cando was dissolved and a co-op with langdon was approved it would not be considered recruiting but just talking over changes from School A to School B, but thats not the case.  Britney Wirth can say it all she wants but the fact is it was recruiting and was not within the rules and regulations set by NDHSAA, thus there will most likely be a penelty coming towards the Langdon coaching staff, and possibly but not likely to Wirth and her Munich friends.

Good post.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby get_the_facts_straight » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:24 am

Hello everybody, I am a senior volleyball player at Langdon High School and very closely connected with the events going on.  I would like to commend Brittany Wirth for standing up and saying something.  I know that to most of the members here, this is just a trivial matter and it's just high school volleyball.  I'm sure it's pretty easy for all of you not connected with this issue to sit back and make assumptions and pass your judgements about who should be punished.  But i feel the need to say that to those of us involved, it's a big deal.  Brittany and I are both seniors this coming year.  This will be are last season no matter where we play.  I have played against Brittany Wirth in sports since the third grade.  We live 30 miles away from eachother and have always been acquaintances and now recently friends. 
Last year I remember watching Brittany play at the semifinals of regionals.  She played an amazing game and when she came onto the bench, she walked directly to the end and sat down.  She was at a completely different end than her coaches and not a single person acknowledged her: no pats on the back or good jobs or anything.  As an observer i would imagine that it would feel terrible to be that severely under-appreciated. Now factor in the gas/ safety issue and can you blame those two girls for wanting a new co-op??
On the issue of the meeting at the house: I know for a fact that the rules were consulted before any meeting took place.  I'm sure it wasn't the wisest choice to meet like that, but who trys to enter a co-op completely in the dark??  I think it's completely understandable for the Munich parents to want to know about the program at Langdon since they were interested. 
I know what you are thinking, wanting to come to Langdon doesn't make it not recruiting, but YOU SHOW me the rules that apparently we broke.  It shouldn't be that hard since a number of members here seem to be experts on the fact.
I have a question for all of you ??  Say neither of the two ladies who are interested in playing at Langdon from Munich played varsity.  Say they played C-sqaud.  Would everyone be blowing this out of proportion still??  Everyone is making such a big deal becasue Brittany and Katrina are such fantastic players.....any program would be lucky to have them play.  So naturally everyone is assuming that Langdon was ALLEGEDLY trying to recruit them because we want to have a monopoly on vball and get back to state for the tenth year in a row.  If that was true, how did Langdon get to state the first nine years huh ??  All of those players were enrolled in school at Langdon High School.   The reason Langdon goes to state year after year is because of our determination and work ethic.  Now, whatever happens, this year we will continue to show the same dedication and strive to be the best. 
Bottem Line:  Brittany and Katrina deserve to play in program where they are happy.  Munich comes to Langdon for ftball and track.  It would be cheaper and more efficient.
Now which one of you reading this wants to tell Brittany or I that those girls don't deserve to be treated well??  We just want to play vball. That's it.  Do we deserve to be punished ??
Now i'm trying to not be offended by complete strangers saying awful things about Langdon's coaches, players, or the munich girls.  You people think whatever you want; because at the end of the day  Brittany, Katrina, and myself still have the opportunity to play a sport we all love and to suceed, while most of you are just people commenting on some wall; writing whatever you think because you think you're right.
I'm a lot happier where i'm sitting. TOUCHE'
p.s. thank you to those of you who are standing up for Langdon and the Munich Girls.
get_the_facts_straight

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:42 am

baseball wrote:a coach came into the homes of kids not playing for him to talk about playing for that school.....aka recruiting, doesnt matter who initiates the converstaion

ill use the college example again cuz im guessing you didnt read it.  a kid can send a highlight tape of him/her to a coach, by this he initiates the conversation.  whatever follows in future conversations for playing for that school which they are not currently enrolled in is classified as recruiting.  the reason it is recruiting is that the co-op is not dissolved, thus they are players from a Munich/Cando team talking about playing for Langdon....that is recruiting.  if the co-op was dissolved and a new one was indeed formed with Langdon it would not be recruit but instead learning the differences between the 2 schools.......
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:47 am

i think i'll wait and see what comes out of the ndhsaa meeting...regardless if there was recruiting violations or not, whatever they decide is gospel. some volleyball player from langdon's 'truth', much less the 'truth' of someone who doesn't like langdon volleyball...both mean nothing in comparison to sherm and the boys in valley city.
rep

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 am

what happens if the coop is formed then that will be interesting maybe people stop complaining then

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 am

I have to say that after reading the article it sounded like Munich had already made up their minds about dissolving the current coop and were interested in making a new coop with a school that already had ties to Munich. What I don't understand is why everyone is ready to lynch the coach for talking to the players in Munich about the program. Does innocent until proven guilty mean anything to anyone anymore? When given the chance to speak the young lady made some very valid points and I would have to agree with her about the dangers of traveling and the costs. I say give it time and hopefully this will resolve itself once the whole story comes out. If the truth is told all of the stories will be the same.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vballer5 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:02 pm

well said brittany....
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:07 pm

completely blown out of proportion... i agree!
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballfan06 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:06 pm

It appears to me, that if everything that is said is true (travel expenses...van provided for the football players), that this is a title IX issue with the munich school.  Give me a break here---there would be no talk of a new co-op IF Cando had a program that won year after year---these girls would continue to drive those miles. 

The young lady from Langdon said a mouthful, with, the fact that Brittany (a great vball player) is severely under-appreciated at Cando.  I believe that's exactly how it's felt, she's under-appreciated, they'll form a new co-op where she's wanted 'Langdon' and boom the parents and kids from there are happy.

On top of this, it is VERY rare for someone from the NDHSAA to make a public statement of this nature: I'm putting my money on the fact that it's pretty much a sure thing (the recruiting accusations).

I do feel sorry for these kids involved. Your parents and coaches should have known better.

On top of that, if the issue really is the travel expense....that's a title IX issue--pursue that, not a new co-op that'll just happen to wind up at the state tournament!
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 pm

get_the_facts_straight wrote: 
Last year I remember watching Brittany play at the semifinals of regionals.  She played an amazing game and when she came onto the bench, she walked directly to the end and sat down.  She was at a completely different end than her coaches and not a single person acknowledged her: no pats on the back or good jobs or anything.  As an observer i would imagine that it would feel terrible to be that severely under-appreciated. Now factor in the gas/ safety issue and can you blame those two girls for wanting a new co-op??
I don't think anyone can blame those girls for wanting to leave.  Wanting to go to Langdon is not what they did wrong.
On the issue of the meeting at the house: I know for a fact that the rules were consulted before any meeting took place.  I'm sure it wasn't the wisest choice to meet like that, but who trys to enter a co-op completely in the dark??  I think it's completely understandable for the Munich parents to want to know about the program at Langdon since they were interested. 
There is a thing called the school administration.  They set up conversations and meetings with other schools.  They even set up meetings for the parents to meet the coaches.  The school has the power.  They make the decision on who to co-op with and they get the info and pass it on to the parents and girls.  What the Munich parents did here was take it upon themselves to basically set up a co-op by themselves.  Maybe you can do it in a summer softball league, but not high school athletics.  Use the appropriate channels.
I know what you are thinking, wanting to come to Langdon doesn't make it not recruiting, but YOU SHOW me the rules that apparently we broke.  It shouldn't be that hard since a number of members here seem to be experts on the fact.
I have a question for all of you ??  Say neither of the two ladies who are interested in playing at Langdon from Munich played varsity.  Say they played C-sqaud.  Would everyone be blowing this out of proportion still??  Everyone is making such a big deal becasue Brittany and Katrina are such fantastic players.....any program would be lucky to have them play.  So naturally everyone is assuming that Langdon was ALLEGEDLY trying to recruit them because we want to have a monopoly on vball and get back to state for the tenth year in a row.  If that was true, how did Langdon get to state the first nine years huh ??  All of those players were enrolled in school at Langdon High School.   The reason Langdon goes to state year after year is because of our determination and work ethic.  Now, whatever happens, this year we will continue to show the same dedication and strive to be the best. 
I'll give you your point that Langdon doesn't need to recruit.  In this situation, they were faced with a golden opportunity and they fumbled the ball.
Bottem Line:  Brittany and Katrina deserve to play in program where they are happy.  Munich comes to Langdon for ftball and track.  It would be cheaper and more efficient.
Now which one of you reading this wants to tell Brittany or I that those girls don't deserve to be treated well??  We just want to play vball. That's it.  Do we deserve to be punished ??
Now i'm trying to not be offended by complete strangers saying awful things about Langdon's coaches, players, or the munich girls.  You people think whatever you want; because at the end of the day  Brittany, Katrina, and myself still have the opportunity to play a sport we all love and to suceed, while most of you are just people commenting on some wall; writing whatever you think because you think you're right.
I'm a lot happier where i'm sitting. TOUCHE'
p.s. thank you to those of you who are standing up for Langdon and the Munich Girls.
And finally, who is saying awful things about anyone here?  People are just telling their opinions and facts that they have heard.  Nobody is calling anyone names.  Saying that all parties involved screwed up does not make anyone a bad person.
Last edited by Stromer on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics