Langdon recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:45 pm

you still have yet to provide proof of all these parochials recruiting?  what evidance do you have.........repeat state appearances, o wow.  bring out the big guns and take sports away from that school so others have a chance.  the proof in this case was that the coach did indeed go into the homes of students.  if he didnt you would still accuse Langdon of recruiting because the 9 straight state seasons.

The only problem i do see with the punishment is that the coach does still have a job.  im not suggesting taking coaching away for the rest of his life but a 2-3 year suspension maybe.  other then that i agree with the punishment 100%.  why do you feel teachers and the school board should be fired?  unless the caoch was a teacher maybe he can be fired but i still dont think that would be right.  you cant take away from the kids education because a coach messed up.  after all, the kids are referred to as "STUDENT athletes".  unless they were in the house with the coach talking to the kids, why do they deserve to lose their job???

go back to a real world scenario again.  say a secretary or whatever is stealing supplies and money from an office.  do you fire the president, VP, CEO, COO and all them high rollers just because some intern took a few staplers??
Last edited by baseball on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:14 am

[user=3113]fbinnd[/user] wrote:
Someone has to crack down hard on recruiting, and suspending a team from the postseason doesn't do that.  It penalizes the players, that's it.  If coaches can continue to coach after being caught recruiting, there's no incentive not to do it again.

At the very least, the coaches should be fired and banned from coaching for life.  In all reality, the AD should be fired as well.  And the investigation should take place.  The only message the other schools will get is if Langdon's athletic department is turned upside-down for 30 days.  Langdon should endure the worst kind of violation of their school imaginable by a special audit.  An HSAA official should be in their building every day questioning students, making phone calls to other schools, everything.  Every coach and administrator should get the idea that, when you screw around and get caught, you lose every freedom you enjoy, and the longarm of the law will be there watching over your shoulder every minute of every day until you prove yourself. 

As time goes on, opinion on this will change.  Instead of people seeing the suspension of the volleyball team as a huge punishment, observers will see it for what it really is:  The least possible penalty available.  It could of and should have been worse, way worse.  People should be losing jobs, and investigations should be going on.

What's really sad is that if this would have been some rinky-dink class B, they would have gotten nailed like I'm suggesting.  A small school trying to get way better is how they would have been branded.  But, since Langdon is a steady stream of income at state tournaments, the HSAA only levies a small penalty.  If this was a parochial, the letter wouldn't have even been followed up on.  It would have been thrown away like a letter from Publisher's Clearing House.  I know it seems like the HSAA is finally getting tough, but in actuality, it's the same old-same old, just wrapped a little differently.

All I can do is shake my head right now, cause I really don't wanna tell you what I think about the stupid things you've written about on this topic.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 am

fbinnd wrote:Someone has to crack down hard on recruiting, and suspending a team from the postseason doesn't do that.  It penalizes the players, that's it.  If coaches can continue to coach after being caught recruiting, there's no incentive not to do it again.

At the very least, the coaches should be fired and banned from coaching for life.  In all reality, the AD should be fired as well.  And the investigation should take place.  The only message the other schools will get is if Langdon's athletic department is turned upside-down for 30 days.  Langdon should endure the worst kind of violation of their school imaginable by a special audit.  An HSAA official should be in their building every day questioning students, making phone calls to other schools, everything.  Every coach and administrator should get the idea that, when you screw around and get caught, you lose every freedom you enjoy, and the longarm of the law will be there watching over your shoulder every minute of every day until you prove yourself. 

As time goes on, opinion on this will change.  Instead of people seeing the suspension of the volleyball team as a huge punishment, observers will see it for what it really is:  The least possible penalty available.  It could of and should have been worse, way worse.  People should be losing jobs, and investigations should be going on.

What's really sad is that if this would have been some rinky-dink class B, they would have gotten nailed like I'm suggesting.  A small school trying to get way better is how they would have been branded.  But, since Langdon is a steady stream of income at state tournaments, the HSAA only levies a small penalty.  If this was a parochial, the letter wouldn't have even been followed up on.  It would have been thrown away like a letter from Publisher's Clearing House.  I know it seems like the HSAA is finally getting tough, but in actuality, it's the same old-same old, just wrapped a little differently.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!   NO JAIL TIME???????????

Your turning into an old softy fbinnd.   ;)
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:45 pm

I can't count on all my fingers how many times public school coaches have called students to come to their school I've been called by a public school coach and I know a few of my teammates were and students at other schools who were called I can't name an instance where our coach called someone(parachioal school coach).  I don't think recruiting should go on. It happens it bothers some people alot some not so much it'll happen it just depends on if they caught but no one makes that big of a deal about it maybe here on a message board and in small town bars and diners but no action ever takes place I'm really suprised that someone stepped to do this I'm impressed
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:52 pm

BBall dominator wrote:I can't count on all my fingers how many times public school coaches have called students to come to their school I've been called by a public school coach and I know a few of my teammates were and students at other schools who were called I can't name an instance where our coach called someone(parachioal school coach).  I don't think recruiting should go on. It happens it bothers some people alot some not so much it'll happen it just depends on if they caught but no one makes that big of a deal about it maybe here on a message board and in small town bars and diners but no action ever takes place I'm really suprised that someone stepped to do this I'm impressed

what school did you play for when you were called?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:36 pm

vballer5 wrote:
baseball wrote:you still have yet to provide proof of all these parochials recruiting?  what evidance do you have.........repeat state appearances, o wow.  bring out the big guns and take sports away from that school so others have a chance.  the proof in this case was that the coach did indeed go into the homes of students.  if he didnt you would still accuse Langdon of recruiting because the 9 straight state seasons.

The only problem i do see with the punishment is that the coach does still have a job.  im not suggesting taking coaching away for the rest of his life but a 2-3 year suspension maybe.  other then that i agree with the punishment 100%.  why do you feel teachers and the school board should be fired?  unless the caoch was a teacher maybe he can be fired but i still dont think that would be right.  you cant take away from the kids education because a coach messed up.  after all, the kids are referred to as "STUDENT athletes".  unless they were in the house with the coach talking to the kids, why do they deserve to lose their job???

go back to a real world scenario again.  say a secretary or whatever is stealing supplies and money from an office.  do you fire the president, VP, CEO, COO and all them high rollers just because some intern took a few staplers??

excellent!!!! you are catching on!

haha i wouldnt say we agree yet.  i still like the punishment, just not his idiots idea to fire the whole school.....i suppose the custodians can stay
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fbinnd » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:01 pm

I tried to be a little sympathetic to the players involved, but this bratz doll whining is getting old.  Your school and your coaches put you in a bind.  Blame them, not us that want high schools to follow the dang rules about recruiting. 

If the HSAA doesn't suspend the school, what should they do?  Make you take vans to the state tourney, or make you drink tap water instead of Dasani?  Seriously, your school screwed up, not the people that post in northdakotapreps.com.  If you want to fight the good fight, go to your school board meetings and get some people reprimanded or fired.  Personally, I think all the coaches and the AD should be fired.  People obviously disagree.  Fine, find some other punishment that is justifiable.  Since you can't qualify for the post season, make them coach for free for a year.  Make the AD administrate without an AD salary.  Force the coaches and the AD to make a public apology to the players, the school, the city, and the HSAA General Assembly. 

But don't fault the HSAA.  They didn't go to Munich and start recruiting players.  Your coaches did that.  They are the reason you're not going to state, not the HSAA.  And in response to an earlier post about this deal never being about state or winning:  If it isn't about going to state, and you can still play a regular season, why are you unhappy?
fbinnd

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:33 pm

vballer5 wrote:
baseball wrote:
vballer5 wrote:
baseball wrote:you still have yet to provide proof of all these parochials recruiting?  what evidance do you have.........repeat state appearances, o wow.  bring out the big guns and take sports away from that school so others have a chance.  the proof in this case was that the coach did indeed go into the homes of students.  if he didnt you would still accuse Langdon of recruiting because the 9 straight state seasons.

haha i wouldnt say we agree yet.  i still like the punishment, just not his idiots idea to fire the whole school.....i suppose the custodians can stay
haha ....but you know the kids shouldnt be punished for somthing they had no idea was happening. You dont even like the punishment... you just have nothing else to do but sit on nd preps and write  blogs... and how convenient.... people get angry when you dont agree with them...

what??? i said i like the punishment, just not fbinnd's ideas for punishment.  as for the people who have nothing to do but sit on here all day and post blogs, what about the people who post blogs lashing out at the people who don't feel sorry for them because they got punished???
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:36 pm

fbinnd wrote:I tried to be a little sympathetic to the players involved, but this bratz doll whining is getting old. 

Classic!  :D
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:39 pm

vballer5 wrote:
Stromer wrote:I compare this situation to when a teacher gives the whole class homework because one kids can't stop talking in class.  Is it fair?  In no way, shape, or form is it.  But the teacher wants to encourage peer pressure so that the rest of the class essentially makes the other kid be quiet.  Thats the approach the NDHSAA took here.  They punish everyone, while maybe not fair, to make a point.  Maybe in the future parents at other schools will question their coaches when shady things start happening.  If society deems this approach to be acceptable, which it has by its use in schools, then it should not be found unacceptable in this situation. 

As for the Langdon season being over before it started, I would have to disagree.  Kids all around this state and country play sports.  A great many of them will never have a chance to play for a championship.  I mean, theoretically everyone has a shot at state, but in all practicality there are only a select number of schools that will ever reach state.  Yet kids at these schools with no chance still play out of their love for the game.  Championships aren't everything.  Otherwise nobody would be playing for NDSU and soon to be UND since they can't play for a title during the transition to Division 1.  I expect nobody will quit the Langdon team because they can't go to state.  But instead of dwelling on a bad incident, turn your season into a plus.  Go undefeated, never drop a set, or do something that makes your season a sucess.

thats like saying you are all for guilt by association... and judging by your comments i would guess you're a male who never leaves the party??!!

I am against guilt by association.  But since it is so common in society, I have given in to this backwards logic.  And speaking of parties, there is a thing called "guilty by association."  This logic seems to apply to sports a lot.

P.S.  For future reference, this is a messageboard, not a blog.  Just thought you would like to know.  :P
Last edited by Stromer on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vball_player » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:15 pm

fbinnd wrote:I tried to be a little sympathetic to the players involved, but this bratz doll whining is getting old.  Your school and your coaches put you in a bind.  Blame them, not us that want high schools to follow the darn rules about recruiting. 

If the HSAA doesn't suspend the school, what should they do?  Make you take vans to the state tourney, or make you drink tap water instead of Dasani?  Seriously, your school screwed up, not the people that post in northdakotapreps.com.  If you want to fight the good fight, go to your school board meetings and get some people reprimanded or fired.  Personally, I think all the coaches and the AD should be fired.  People obviously disagree.  Fine, find some other punishment that is justifiable.  Since you can't qualify for the post season, make them coach for free for a year.  Make the AD administrate without an AD salary.  Force the coaches and the AD to make a public apology to the players, the school, the city, and the HSAA General Assembly. 

But don't fault the HSAA.  They didn't go to Munich and start recruiting players.  Your coaches did that.  They are the reason you're not going to state, not the HSAA.  And in response to an earlier post about this deal never being about state or winning:  If it isn't about going to state, and you can still play a regular season, why are you unhappy?

hey i was wondering do you think that if the players didnt know what was goin on then the AD wouldnt either?? do you really think that the AD would WANT a coach to go over there and do this to the STUDENT ATHLETES?? i think you have something messed up in your figuring!!!:)  but i htink that the coaches should be the ONLY ONES being punished here, and NOT anyone else!! since like you said they went over there and not the players!! but i think you can count on that the AD wasnt over there either!!! ill answer that question too....while some of the teams get the chance to make it further than the regular season, we on the other hand arent even allowed to participate!!! even if we go undefeated we cant go farther than our regular season...i have some questions for you...are/were you in any sports?? do you think after all of the hard work you put into that sport(s) is fair that the NDHSAA take away your postseason, when you yourself isnt responsible for any of it?? are the STUDENT ATHLETES supposed to look after their coaches to see if they are obeying of all the rules??i think not..its the coaches fault and not the teams, or any other part of our high school(AD ,PRINCIPLE, OR SUPERINTENDIENT) the coach went over there on his own terms!!!he didnt consult those people that i just mentioned cuz if he did they would have told him NOT TO GO!!!!i only hope that after you finally get the WHOLE STORY STRAIGHT AND FIGURE OUT THAT THE ONLY PERSON TO BLAME/PUNISH(suspened for ---years or fired) IS THE COACHand AGAIN NOT THE TEAM OR THE ADMINISTRATION that you can apologize to everyone and especially the LANGDON VOLLEYBALL TEAM for being such an ignorant person who spends his time writing derrogatory (but correct on punishing the coach) comments on this website...hopefully next time you can put yourself in our shoes and think how it feels to not be able to play in the postseason because of something that you COACH did, and something you couldnt control!!
vball_player
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vball_player » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:22 pm

Stromer wrote:
fbinnd wrote:I tried to be a little sympathetic to the players involved, but this bratz doll whining is getting old. 

Classic!  :D

OH YEAH BY THE WAY fbinnd WE ARENT BRATZ DOLLS WHINING. WE ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW WE SEE IT (THE TRUTH)!!!! BUT I THINKING YOU NEED TO COME UP WITH BETTER ANOLOGIES!!!BRATZ DOLL, JUST CAUSE YOU LIKE THEM DOESNT MEAN WE ALL DO OR WANNA HEAR BOUT THEM!!!
vball_player
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:35 pm

baseball wrote:
vballer5 wrote:

vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:36 pm

baseball wrote:
vballer5 wrote:

suppose so... i agree with punishment at a different level towards different people so we have something in common.
Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm

vball_player wrote:
fbinnd wrote:I tried to be a little sympathetic to the players involved, but this bratz doll whining is getting old.  Your school and your coaches put you in a bind.  Blame them, not us that want high schools to follow the darn rules about recruiting. 

hey i was wondering do you think that if the players didnt know what was goin on then the AD wouldnt either?? do you really think that the AD would WANT a coach to go over there and do this to the STUDENT ATHLETES?? i think you have something messed up in your figuring!!!:)  but i htink that the coaches should be the ONLY ONES being punished here, and NOT anyone else!! since like you said they went over there and not the players!! but i think you can count on that the AD wasnt over there either!!! ill answer that question too....while some of the teams get the chance to make it further than the regular season, we on the other hand arent even allowed to participate!!! even if we go undefeated we cant go farther than our regular season...i have some questions for you...are/were you in any sports?? do you think after all of the hard work you put into that sport(s) is fair that the NDHSAA take away your postseason, when you yourself isnt responsible for any of it?? are the STUDENT ATHLETES supposed to look after their coaches to see if they are obeying of all the rules??i think not..its the coaches fault and not the teams, or any other part of our high school(AD ,PRINCIPLE, OR SUPERINTENDIENT) the coach went over there on his own terms!!!he didnt consult those people that i just mentioned cuz if he did they would have told him NOT TO GO!!!!i only hope that after you finally get the WHOLE STORY STRAIGHT AND FIGURE OUT THAT THE ONLY PERSON TO BLAME/PUNISH(suspened for ---years or fired) IS THE COACHand AGAIN NOT THE TEAM OR THE ADMINISTRATION that you can apologize to everyone and especially the LANGDON VOLLEYBALL TEAM for being such an ignorant person who spends his time writing derrogatory (but correct on punishing the coach) comments on this website...hopefully next time you can put yourself in our shoes and think how it feels to not be able to play in the postseason because of something that you COACH did, and something you couldnt control!!

thats funny how you say he is using derrogatory comments but you call him ignorant. This message board is a funny place
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Last edited by vballer5 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:08 pm

vballer5 wrote:
baseball wrote:
vballer5 wrote:

suppose so... i agree with punishment at a different level towards different people so we have something in common.

yea we both disagree with fbinnd haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics