recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: recruiting

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 pm

I think both graduated two years ago. They we not getting playing time at the public schools so they went to Oak Grove.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Number7 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Holaday is a senior this year
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby dtvman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:20 am

Kids switching from one school to another is not evidence of recruiting to me. I am not saying it is the best thing for them to be doing, but recruiting to me is a issue that involves coaches. If a coach is trying to get a kid to switch schools that to me is recruiting.
dtvman

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:36 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:I think both graduated two years ago. They we not getting playing time at the public schools so they went to Oak Grove.

That is not recruiting though...If a kid is not getting playing time and transfers to a smaller school to get to play, that is just kids wanting to play.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fbinnd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 am

Yep, and, just like a point I made very early in this thread, those players are replacing kids that should have a spot at their schools. Kids should not be allowed to transfer just because of playing time. When they do, they take opportunities away from other kids.

Stay at your school and do what you're supposed to do. Transferring to play makes you bigger than the game, and no one is bigger than the game.
fbinnd

Postby Number7 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:10 pm

scc wrote:
fbinnd wrote:Yep, and, just like a point I made very early in this thread, those players are replacing kids that should have a spot at their schools. Kids should not be allowed to transfer just because of playing time. When they do, they take opportunities away from other kids.

Stay at your school and do what you're supposed to do. Transferring to play makes you bigger than the game, and no one is bigger than the game.

You can look at it both ways. It's not fair for the ones who lose out on playing time. It's also not fair to deny someone who transferred their right to play, especially when it costs extra to attend a private school.

Either way... someone is going to play and someone is going to sit. If you are mad someone transferred to your school and now starts ahead of you, work harder to be better than them. Life isnt fair. Everyone cant start every game, score 30 points, have a perfect season, and be Mr. Basketball.
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 pm

agree w/ Numbe7. Life isn't fair, if you lose a spot to someone transferring, that means you probably weren't very good anyway & should make you a better person because you will have to improve. When you get out in the working world, it can happen to you also. If you don't pull your weight, your boss will find someone who can.
As for the kid who transferred, hopefully he will learn his/her lesson when you outwork them and take the spot back.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 pm

A basketball team has 5 starting spots. You have 5 places to start. If a transfer comes to your school and fills up a starting spot, you still have 4 other chances. If you aren't good enough to have one of them four, why did you deserve that 5th spot? And also, if your team was to put winning ahead of individual glory, such as a regional championship over starting, you would probably realize that the kid that transfered in can probably help your team achieve team goals. Any TRUE teammate would realize that winning a regional championship is more important then starting a game.

FBIIND let me make up a story to explain.

Say Timmy plays at basketball at Hillside. Timmy is 6'6" and a standout athlete. Timmy transfers from Hillside to West Hill to play basketball. Now you say "Timmy has taken a starting spot from someone at West Hill." This is true, however, with Timmy leaving Hillside it opened up a starting spot for someone there. No matter where Timmy goes to school, 5 people are going to start at Hillside and 5 people are going to start at West Hill.

FBINND you seem to act like you know a lot about life and I respect that. However, you act like just because someone goes to a school that means they should be given a free pass to start there. It is the same philosophy that some coaches have that seniors should play over under-classmen. I don't agree with that either. I don't care if a senior has busted his butt for for 4 years. If their is a better freshmen on the team, he should be playing. The best 5 players should start on the TEAM. If a kid transfers to the school and goes out for basketball, he is part of the team. If he is one of the five best players, he should start. If he isn't, then he shouldn't start.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm

i want to add to this statement for baller01 if you really want that fifth spot you will get better when the transfer comes and EARN it you will get better because of the competition remember get better not bitter

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:23 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:I think both graduated two years ago. They we not getting playing time at the public schools so they went to Oak Grove.

Vagsness @ FS was a starter....
Holaday @WF was a starter since freshman yeart

transfers were not about playing time
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:43 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

thats not true.. Holaday was not a starter since her freshman year. she did play a pretty decent role with the team early on, but did not enjoy splitting time constantly with all of the studs on WF's team this season
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

Number7 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

thats not true.. Holaday was not a starter since her freshman year. she did play a pretty decent role with the team early on, but did not enjoy splitting time constantly with all of the studs on WF's team this season

she was playing alot of minutes that year, her soph & jr years starting; just not enough to her satisfaction? not a good enough reason in IMO; a kid that's a good player, maybe gets cut because the coach tells them their no good, that kind of stuff, etc. maybe; but she was/is very good and I think that's a lousy reason to transfer......as was said earlier in this board by others......work harder, get better if you don't want to share
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
Number7 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

she was playing alot of minutes that year, her soph & jr years starting; just not enough to her satisfaction? not a good enough reason in IMO; a kid that's a good player, maybe gets cut because the coach tells them their no good, that kind of stuff, etc. maybe; but she was/is very good and I think that's a lousy reason to transfer......as was said earlier in this board by others......work harder, get better if you don't want to share

Ever think that it wasnt about playing time? Maybe not even about sports at all. She just may have wanted a change of schools...Private school may have been more comfortable for her.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Number7 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Baller wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
Number7 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

Ever think that it wasnt about playing time? Maybe not even about sports at all. She just may have wanted a change of schools...Private school may have been more comfortable for her.

For one year? and your senior season no less? I heard more playing time, better stats, and a bigger role for college coaches to look at
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Maybe she was as mad as some people about the was Pierson got the job and didnt want to play for her. That would have been me in that position.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Hot Topics