Pros & cons of Redshirting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:07 am

I am looking for the opinions on redshirting.  Do you think it is a good idea or not? If it is a good thing, why don't more kids do it?
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:22 am

Redshirting is a great idea, and actually most freshmen coming into college programs do redshirt.  The ones that do not redshirt don't because they are able to make immediate contributions to their team.

For those that do redshirt it could be for a variety of reasons: The team they are on is deep at their position, they have a flaw they need to work on i.e. not stong enough, poor technique, or that it would be more beneficial for them to spend a year learning and training, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  You get to come into a program learn the system, spend a year getting bigger, stronger, and faster and to top it off you still get to keep you four years of eligibilty.  The only downside I can see is that you don't get to play right away, but like I said you still get to keep your four years of eligibilty.

I don't see how this applies to Class B basketball though, seems like it should be under open sports topics
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:59 am

Indians Alumni wrote:I am looking for the opinions on redshirting.  Do you think it is a good idea or not? If it is a good thing, why don't more kids do it?

Has to be done on an individual basis.  Some kids come in ready to play and some need time to gain strength, quickness, etc.  Wonder what the national stats are for redshirting? 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:04 am

some kids are there to get an education in 4 years and graduate and get out into the real world.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 am

ND_Coach wrote:Redshirting is a great idea, and actually most freshmen coming into college programs do redshirt.  The ones that do not redshirt don't because they are able to make immediate contributions to their team.

For those that do redshirt it could be for a variety of reasons: The team they are on is deep at their position, they have a flaw they need to work on i.e. not stong enough, poor technique, or that it would be more beneficial for them to spend a year learning and training, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  You get to come into a program learn the system, spend a year getting bigger, stronger, and faster and to top it off you still get to keep you four years of eligibilty.  The only downside I can see is that you don't get to play right away, but like I said you still get to keep your four years of eligibilty.

I don't see how this applies to Class B basketball though, seems like it should be under open sports topics

the only tie i can see that this has to class B is that Payton Tivis was a redshirt at South Dakota State this year
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:08 am

baseball wrote:
ND_Coach wrote:Redshirting is a great idea, and actually most freshmen coming into college programs do redshirt.  The ones that do not redshirt don't because they are able to make immediate contributions to their team.

the only tie i can see that this has to class B is that Payton Tivis was a redshirt at South Dakota State this year

true....I am going to move this to the hot topics section...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:27 am

What about these guys that say that Kids go to smaller schools or different schools because they can start there or they have more chance of playing!  What would you have to say to those kids?  I know now as a former college athlete, redshirting can only help you! 
:situps:

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:28 am

Indians Alumni wrote:What about these guys that say that Kids go to smaller schools or different schools because they can start there or they have more chance of playing!  What would you have to say to those kids?  I know now as a former college athlete, redshirting can only help you! 
:situps:

I think that is true in many cases.  There are a lot athletes who may just be a role player say on a 1-AA level but could be a full time player on the D-2 level, etc.  Or a tweener in terms of skill may find more playing time at a program that is not as deep in his position.

What I say to those kids is you talk about it with your family and decide what is important to you.  Maybe College A has the major you want, is a big time program, but you will redshirt and see minimum playing time in your carreer, College B may have a secondary major you like, not offer you as much money or any at all, isn't well know, but you could start right away.  You'd have to decided what is important to you.  Thats life
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:48 am

There are not many athletes who finish school in four years.  It is difficult to work in things like student teaching or internships while playing.  Those are usually done during the senior year.  If you do red-shirt i would suggest thinking about a minor so that your fifth year is full or to make room for internship activities.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:44 am

especially with football, i think redshirting is the way to go. that first year of college is pretty tough, with juggling classes and being away from home and all that stuff. with redshirting, it just kind of helps to ease into the transition. you get a winter of lifting under your belt and a year to just kind of learn the ropes in a new system and then your second year into it, you haven't lost anything eligibility-wise.

though, granted, it is pretty tough to kill your body for a couple of months in the fall with no games as an incentive.
rep

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 am

The College Coach should have the final say in if a kid redshirts or not.  I would think a good coach would have  his incoming freshmen redshirt.  It is best to get the first years academics in order before sports.  The old saying Student comes first in Student/Athlete. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:49 am

Indians Alumni wrote:The College Coach should have the final say in if a kid redshirts or not.  I would think a good coach would have  his incoming freshmen redshirt.  It is best to get the first years academics in order before sports.  The old saying Student comes first in Student/Athlete. 

the student does have teh final say, but it is common for the coach to call the player in for a one on one meeting and says what he "thinks" is best for the kid and then he talks to his parents about it and then they make the decision as a family
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 am

it also doesnt matter if a player graduates in 4 years....he has 4 years to play basketball.  Jay Williams graduated in the summer and still played his Senior year at Duke
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:59 am

Jay williams left after his junior year:P
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:12 am

Maniaconthefloor wrote:Jay williams left after his junior year:P

either way he graduated before his last year of college ball...either him or Shane Battier
Last edited by baseball on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:28 am

Personal opinion is if your talking freak athletes who go to like Ohio State or a USC red shirting just depends on the need at the position. If we are talking like a athlete who goes to UND or NDSU I would say red shirting would be in the best interest. There they get you into there system and by the next year your physically and mentally ready for the season.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:44 am

baseball wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:The College Coach should have the final say in if a kid redshirts or not.  I would think a good coach would have  his incoming freshmen redshirt.  It is best to get the first years academics in order before sports.  The old saying Student comes first in Student/Athlete. 

the student does have teh final say, but it is common for the coach to call the player in for a one on one meeting and says what he "thinks" is best for the kid and then he talks to his parents about it and then they make the decision as a family

In a sense the coach does have  the final say, You don't have to redshirt but why would they waste a year sitting on the pine!? 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby paperboy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Redshirting has never ever hurt an athlete.  Period.
paperboy

Postby cheesewheel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Redshirting is a valuable tool. There are many times that a player has great potential, but they are just not yet up to speed with the college. The year of redshirting will help that player grow and become a better fit on the team. After that, they have every year of eligibility left and will be a great fit with the program.

I think medical redshirts are also important. It is sad when an athlete's season is ended by an injury. Especially early on in the year. The medical redshirt gives the player another chance to prove himself and maybe get drafted.

So all in all, redshirting is a great thing.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 am

cheesewheel wrote:Redshirting is a valuable tool. There are many times that a player has great potential, but they are just not yet up to speed with the college. The year of redshirting will help that player grow and become a better fit on the team. After that, they have every year of eligibility left and will be a great fit with the program.

I think medical redshirts are also important. It is sad when an athlete's season is ended by an injury. Especially early on in the year. The medical redshirt gives the player another chance to prove himself and maybe get drafted.

So all in all, redshirting is a great thing.

Well Put!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wahoo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:07 pm

baseball wrote:

I don't think that Tivis is redshirting anywhere.  I belive he tried to walk on at SDSU this last season and by looking at the roster didn't appear to be successful.  He was very good but obviously you need to be very very good to make it in D1.  Redshiriting ( if you make the team) is an excellent way for atheletes to make the jump from HS to college.  These kids have moved away from home and are trying to adjust with academics, atheletics and making the right social decisions.  Going from Top Dog to Bottom Dog is quite a wake up call. It gives the kids a chance to figure out how to make it all balance because once they are deep into their sport it will have given them that mental and physical maturity. 
wahoo

Postby beavof77 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I can see both sides. Redshirting is great for a couple reasons. It helps that highschool player physically mature put on more muscle and get faster. It also helps in teaching the college system. The big draw back is that you loose that real competitive edge that you get in games. Yes, I realize you practice with the team but it's still not the same.  When you look at the University of Mary or Jamestown College they both have JV programs, these are specifically for kids to learn the system and get playing time. Not many true freshman can handle getting "thrown into the fire" and expect to do well. It's a toss up in my opinion.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby homer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:37 pm

jamestown doesnt have a jv team they had almost 40 redshirts this year all played scout team
homer

Postby beavof77 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah they do...there is roughly 20 some kids on their roster. The kids that they feel won't be able to contribute their first year will be put on the JV team. Just like U of Mary they play some of the JuCo's like LR and Williston.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Football or Basketball JV?  I think that is where the dicrepency in your conversation is coming from.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Hot Topics