Pros & cons of Redshirting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby beavof77 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:17 pm

You're right, it was a mistake...you were referring to football and I was talking about basketball. Honest mistake.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tu-Big » Tue May 01, 2007 3:30 pm

paperboy wrote:Redshirting has never ever hurt an athlete.  Period.

I will disagree with this 100%, redshirting has its benefits, but it has definately hurt players. What happens when a kid redshirts, a couple guys get injured half way through the season and BAM, he gets his redshirt pulled? How do you feel when you're that athlete, now instead of having 4 years left to play, you only have 3 and you wasted an entire half a year.
Tu-Big

Postby baller01 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:30 pm

Tu-Big wrote:

I will disagree with this 100%, redshirting has its benefits, but it has definately hurt players. What happens when a kid redshirts, a couple guys get injured half way through the season and BAM, he gets his redshirt pulled? How do you feel when you're that athlete, now instead of having 4 years left to play, you only have 3 and you wasted an entire half a year.

Excellent point right there. Correct me if I am wrong but you can redshirt any year of college right? It doesn't have to be your first year correct?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue May 01, 2007 5:40 pm

baller01 wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

Excellent point right there. Correct me if I am wrong but you can redshirt any year of college right? It doesn't have to be your first year correct?

i believe that is true, you can also use a medical redshirt too
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:27 pm

baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

That was going to be my point I was trying to make. If you go to college your freshmen year and you feel like you won't get much playing time so you waste your redshirt year and your junior year blow out your knee, you can't redshirt. But now you say the medical redshirt how does that work? Can you redshirt say your freshmen year and then your sophomore year for medical reasons? Or do you get one or the other? Can someone help me out here. I'm confused as you can see, haha.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby paperboy » Wed May 02, 2007 4:22 am

Tu-Big wrote:

This is some flawed logic here...it's not the redshirting that is hurting the player, it's the injuries to the other players.  And, the player hasn't wasted an "entire half a year" as he still practices and works out with the team.  I stand by my comment that redshirting has never hurt a player.
paperboy

Postby Ditka14 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 am

Last edited by Ditka14 on Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed May 02, 2007 8:33 am

i want to say that you can only medical redshirt early on in the year...say one or two games into the season (correct me if i'm wrong). and i think that is what comes into play when the ncaa grants a fifth year of eligibility...someone gets hurt in the midseason of a year or has already used the medical redshirt and gets hurt again.

i think there might be some other factors that play into the fifth year of eligibility, but i'm not positive on them.
rep

Postby squeak63 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:01 pm

just a question when is it determined that a certain player is going to redshirt? is it determined before camps even start or is it determined after a couple weeks of camp and the coaches have had a chance to look at the player?? the only reason i am asking this is because i know a couple of football players who are allready planning on redshirting and the season hasn't even started yet?
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:22 pm

paperboy wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

This is some flawed logic here...it's not the redshirting that is hurting the player, it's the injuries to the other players.  And, the player hasn't wasted an "entire half a year" as he still practices and works out with the team.  I stand by my comment that redshirting has never hurt a player.

The injuries to the other players aren't hurting the redshirting player at all. That is a case where it would hurt IMO. And what tu-big means is you haven't wasted, but you could have been playing games too.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm

baller01 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

That was going to be my point I was trying to make. If you go to college your freshmen year and you feel like you won't get much playing time so you waste your redshirt year and your junior year blow out your knee, you can't redshirt. But now you say the medical redshirt how does that work? Can you redshirt say your freshmen year and then your sophomore year for medical reasons? Or do you get one or the other? Can someone help me out here. I'm confused as you can see, haha.

I don't know the exact rule, but in basketball you can play up to so many games and then if u have a season ending injury you can choose a medical redshirt and the 6 games or whatever it is you play doesnt count as a full year and you get that back.  I believe it was Wes Miller for UNC this year who decided to play through a foot injury and not take a medical redshirt.  then i know for a fact Curtis Sumpter used a medical redshirt when he tore his ACL at the end of his junior year.  the way i THINK it is, is that a person can redshirt anytime they want but if its after your freshman year it has to be for a medical reason......im not 100% sure on that but it sounds right
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby paperboy » Thu May 03, 2007 4:16 am

baller01 wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

The injuries to the other players aren't hurting the redshirting player at all. That is a case where it would hurt IMO. And what tu-big means is you haven't wasted, but you could have been playing games too.
So, you're saying that the player, because he has chosen to redshirt, is being hurt simply because of that decision?  That the injuries to the other players have no impact?  This is not very logical as you cannot predict injuries to other players that will impact the decision to redshirt.  I can see that you're not following this and I'm probably not explaining it very well, but I still do not see how redshirting (by itself, without the injuries to the other players) is not beneficial.  Redshirting has never hurt a player.
paperboy

Postby baller01 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:12 am

paperboy wrote:
baller01 wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Tu-Big wrote:

So, you're saying that the player, because he has chosen to redshirt, is being hurt simply because of that decision?  That the injuries to the other players have no impact?  This is not very logical as you cannot predict injuries to other players that will impact the decision to redshirt.  I can see that you're not following this and I'm probably not explaining it very well, but I still do not see how redshirting (by itself, without the injuries to the other players) is not beneficial.  Redshirting has never hurt a player.

I understand what you are trying to say paperboy, it's just that those injuries to other players don't affect the redshirter, it affects the team. You are right, you can't predict injuries and that is exactly why it hurts the redshirter. If he wouldn't have redshirted, he would be playing. I get what you are trying to say though. I would say 9 times outa 10 it doesn't hurt.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Hot Topics