Va tech

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Va. Tech community and their families.

Please be vigilant in our schools, lets keep kids safe.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 am

Wild Wolves wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to the Va. Tech community and their families.

Please be vigilant in our schools, lets keep kids safe.

what happened....i just heard something on espn this afternoon that said "the scene at VT" and thats all i heard?  was another athlete shot or did someone just get upset and shoot around the campus?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 am

Last report 31 dead and 21 wounded.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:37 am

the weird part to me is that it took 2 hours for the campus to even send out an email, most campus's have a campus station and with all the technology now a days the fact that it took over 2 hours just send an email....which most of the kids probably didnt even open yet to relay the message......sad day
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am

Sounds like another idiot with a gun.  It really makes me mad, I just got done doing some traveling about a month ago and it was nice to get back to the United States because of the sense of freedom we have here.  But it really not cool that any nut job can grab a gun out of a buddies cabinet and head to the local school and try to get his name on television.    I am not a gun control advocate, I'm a lifelong hunter and gun enthusiast, and I don't know what type of gun was used in Va. Tech. but I wish it was more difficult for nut jobs to do stuff like that.   It just frustrates the heck out of me knowing there are a bunch of grieving families tonight with no good explanation why their child is dead.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:48 am

NDSportsFan wrote: Sounds like another idiot with a gun.  It really makes me mad, I just got done doing some traveling about a month ago and it was nice to get back to the United States because of the sense of freedom we have here.  But it really not cool that any nut job can grab a gun out of a buddies cabinet and head to the local school and try to get his name on television.    I am not a gun control advocate, I'm a lifelong hunter and gun enthusiast, and I don't know what type of gun was used in Va. Tech. but I wish it was more difficult for nut jobs to do stuff like that.   It just frustrates the heck out of me knowing there are a bunch of grieving families tonight with no good explanation why their child is dead.

from the sounds of it he either used an automatic gun, or a semi-auto pistol with multiple clips,  or multiple guns, the news said there was hardly hesitation between firing

the supposed suspect is dead.
klg_11

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am

NDSportsFan wrote: Sounds like another idiot with a gun.  It really makes me mad, I just got done doing some traveling about a month ago and it was nice to get back to the United States because of the sense of freedom we have here.  But it really not cool that any nut job can grab a gun out of a buddies cabinet and head to the local school and try to get his name on television.    I am not a gun control advocate, I'm a lifelong hunter and gun enthusiast, and I don't know what type of gun was used in Va. Tech. but I wish it was more difficult for nut jobs to do stuff like that.   It just frustrates the heck out of me knowing there are a bunch of grieving families tonight with no good explanation why their child is dead.

it was said that the police found two 9mm.......saying now that there was a 2nd shooter too so that even adds more confusion to the families who want answers
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby feeshattack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:56 am

would it be a good idea to have like medal detectors (like at airpprts) at all of the doors? wouldnt that at least stop them from being able to bring the guns in?? but then the question of being able to pay for it comes up, but i think that the govt would be able to put forth some money to schools for this purpose, cuz we have got to keep our schools safe
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 am

i agree that all doors should have medal detectors but how much money woudl that run a campus......thats not an excuse cuz i believe they should have them but a university is all about making money which is all wrong
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby da_man 23 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:05 am

baseball wrote:

it was said that the police found two 9mm.......saying now that there was a 2nd shooter too so that even adds more confusion to the families who want answers

a 9 mm and a .22 were used, and there wasn't two gunmen just one in different spots, once was a dorm early in the morning and the second was a classroom or classrooms.

da_man 23

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am

da_man 23 wrote:
baseball wrote:

a 9 mm and a .22 were used, and there wasn't two gunmen just one in different spots, once was a dorm early in the morning and the second was a classroom or classrooms.

ive heard alot of stories....thats just what i heard on Fox News that im watchin now
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby feeshattack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am

da_man 23 wrote:
baseball wrote:

you mean they didnt catch him the first time, he came back and went at it again? wouldnt there of been a lot of security around there at that pt?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:08 am

feeshattack wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baseball wrote:

you mean they didnt catch him the first time, he came back and went at it again? wouldnt there of been a lot of security around there at that pt?

again just what i heard on fox......but he was in hte dorm when they locked it down and he escaped when they lifted the lockdown, for what reason baffles me, and he then went to the other biulding
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Wow, terrible accident, thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved. From a hunter's point of view, you hate to see that these nut jobs make it easier to pass gun control laws. Yes, there needs to something done, but it's sad when one person ruins it for the large number of people who have guns and use them the right way. Just one of those things you think would never happen at the collegiate level, now you have to think twice.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:55 pm

Not an accident. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Not an accident. 

True
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:46 pm

i just want to know why do this? why?

if it is something like his girlfriend dumped him or something, i don't know if i'll be able to sleep for a week i'll be so worked up. stupid stupid stupid.

and i want to know why the school didn't shut everything down after the first shooting. i don't really care that they didn't think anything would happen after the first incident. there was a frickin SHOOTING, a MURDER, on your campus and you don't have the person in custody. might be in your best interest to guarantee safety. gee, thanks for the campus-wide email, but maybe you should have used the outdoor p.a. system that could have actually alerted someone immediately instead of hoping they would be checking their email.

school officials aren't really all that bright when it comes to real-world scenarios though...they don't really have a chapter in a book somewhere for 'psycho going for a body count of three dozen' so they are pretty much screwed. i can't wait for them to pronounce their apology in the form of 'we did our best'. tell that to the parents/family of the 30-plus people that are dead because you can't handle the positions you are in control of.

i can't wait for gun-control to come up in this whole issue...just wait...this psycho's rampage is going to get turned into a fight over the constitution.
rep

Postby Ming01 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:49 pm

rep wrote:i just want to know why do this? why?

if it is something like his girlfriend dumped him or something, i don't know if i'll be able to sleep for a week i'll be so worked up. stupid stupid stupid.

and i want to know why the school didn't shut everything down after the first shooting. i don't really care that they didn't think anything would happen after the first incident. there was a frickin SHOOTING, a MURDER, on your campus and you don't have the person in custody. might be in your best interest to guarantee safety. gee, thanks for the campus-wide email, but maybe you should have used the outdoor p.a. system that could have actually alerted someone immediately instead of hoping they would be checking their email.

school officials aren't really all that bright when it comes to real-world scenarios though...they don't really have a chapter in a book somewhere for 'psycho going for a body count of three dozen' so they are pretty much screwed. i can't wait for them to pronounce their apology in the form of 'we did our best'. tell that to the parents/family of the 30-plus people that are dead because you can't handle the positions you are in control of.

i can't wait for gun-control to come up in this whole issue...just wait...this psycho's rampage is going to get turned into a fight over the constitution.

they prolly advised everyone to stay put for safety
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:52 pm

the school has admitted thinking the first two shootings were a controlled incident and they did nothing because they believed the shooter would be long-gone (which is likely what sane people would do, but when dealing with people shooting other people...you know...sometimes all their dogs aint barking).

rep

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:56 pm

according to Fox News and CNN.....after the first shooting they put the campus in lockdown, not telling the students why, and for some reason they lifted the lockdown and thats when the shooter left the dorm....if they kept the lockdown on for another half hour 30 people would still be alive.  not to go way of topic but since NDpreps is mainly sports, how do you convince a recruit to come to vtech now??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:00 pm

fire everyone responsible for this incident.

obviously not coaches and stuff, but the administrators need to be gone.

let's be serious...imus got canned for a 'nappy haired ho' comment that apparently injured the rutgers basketball team for the rest of their lives. it was a pretty stupid move on his part.

likewise, i'd call this a pretty stupid move on the part of the administrators and they should all either be stepping down or fired immediately. actually, not immediately. they should have to talk and apologize to all the families of the people that died first. and then they should be canned.
rep

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:02 pm

i guess this is a way to show why campus security gaurds arent real policemen.....good work men in blue
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:05 pm

my first thought in all of this is, i wonder if basically virginia isn't a whole lot like north dakota. i mean, access to guns isn't really too restrictive in the state. how long before some person goes off and starts shooting up a north dakota high school/college.

christ sakes. why people want to have kids is beyond me some days. pretty scary world.
rep

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

rep wrote:my first thought in all of this is, i wonder if basically virginia isn't a whole lot like north dakota. i mean, access to guns isn't really too restrictive in the state. how long before some person goes off and starts shooting up a north dakota high school/college.

christ sakes. why people want to have kids is beyond me some days. pretty scary world.
Yea, makes one wonder, just hopefully it never happens. I heard today that VT had like bomb treats last week and kinda thinking wouldn't that make one wonder if something else might happen?
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:my first thought in all of this is, i wonder if basically virginia isn't a whole lot like north dakota. i mean, access to guns isn't really too restrictive in the state. how long before some person goes off and starts shooting up a north dakota high school/college.

Yea, makes one wonder, just hopefully it never happens. I heard today that VT had like bomb treats last week and kinda thinking wouldn't that make one wonder if something else might happen?

good point.....2 bomb threats in a week, a guy shoots people in a dorm, so lock the campus for an hour, think everything is in the clear then take it off.  you would think that even after a bomb threat the campus would be closed until it is for sure there is no bomb
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics