Best Chance at a future

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Since track has started, and it seems that track is somewhat of a dieing sport, is it a chance for kids to jump in and excell?  This board still spends more time talking about BB than anyother active sport.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby always a sports season » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Track and field is an excellent sport for kids to be in!  There's a variety of events to try and find the right fit for each athlete.   There are also more opportunities for participating in college.  And you are always working at reaching your personal best and not worrying about some of the politics or parents grumbling in the background who gets playing time.  Yes, it is a good sport for kids to get into and make a name for themselves.  However, small schools are at a disadvantage as a team for winning track meets.  But individuals can still win their events and they can be noticed for themselves and not just because their team made it to the state tournament.  It can be hard to find track and field coaches that are able to teach technique for all the events.  Coaches sometimes have to seek outside experts or former athletes in those events to help out.

Basketball gets way too much emphasis and that's why there ends up being so much negativity from parents and so forth. Everyone thinks they're the expert because they understand dribble, pass, shoot the ball into the basket.  They also don't know all the dynamics that goes on in practice and off the court either that affects play.   It's the elite, glamour sport where everyone notices you.  But the reality is that there may be many good athletes and  only a handful of really great ones with the right work ethic and attitude to make it beyond the high school level.  However, parents have often brought up their basketball players to believe they'll be the next Michael Jordan. 
always a sports season

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:10 pm

i think track and swimming are the best sports to know where you are at nationally basketball and football you are only going up against nd competiton where as track and swimming you are going against the clock or the distance height

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby always a sports season » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:23 pm

cdub1 wrote:i think track and swimming are the best sports to know where you are at nationally basketball and football you are only going up against nd competiton where as track and swimming you are going against the clock or the distance height

Excellent points.
always a sports season

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:06 am

Well stated by both of you.  It is probably more disappointing to see athletes walking the halls of a school who would be great track athletes but are just to lazy (and I mean lazy) to put forth the effort to go out for track.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby always a sports season » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 am

You are right about the lazy - just don't want to have to run and condition. 

I will admit one big drawback is convincing kids to participate in a sport where it is often rainy, windy, or cold.
always a sports season

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 am

cdub1 why isn't your brother out for track?  It would be his best shot at a college scholarship.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Last edited by cdub1 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:27 am

I agree that getting kids to go out and in the cold and rainy weather to compete in track and  field is tough.  Most kids right now would rather stay home and play Xbox or PSP.  Kids are not motivated like they used to be.  I mean what about good old competition, who is faster or who is stronger?  It is just annoying you see the fastest kids and strongest kids walking the halls instead of competing at track meets!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Hot Topics