Who Gets the Most Sports Coverage

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby EDC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Does anybody have any issues with the amount of sports coverage one town or school gets compared to neighboring locations?  Living in the east, seems like Minnesota (namely Moorhead) gets quite a bit compared to the EDC teams.  TV stations had tape of virtually every Spud hockey game for instance.  What about Mandan/Bismarck or the Minot schools or big schools compared to smaller schools or even between sports?  Does the amount of coverage a school gets influence how good you think an athlete is?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Oh yeah.....it does....major........ I've lived in the east outside of Fargo..if the team isn't going to state, no coverage at all and even then barely mentioned if the team is outside of Fargo..  In the south central.........nobody but nobody has a clue about any athletes in the area.......there's no mention of athletes or teams and very seldom do the scores make the tv stations.......that area is not on the map for Fargo or Bismarck....might get a score report in the Jamestown Sun........
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:In the south central.........nobody but nobody has a clue about any athletes in the area.......

huh...well that not cool.
rep

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm

rep wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:In the south central.........nobody but nobody has a clue about any athletes in the area.......

huh...well that not cool.

Easy solution. Purchase the local Jamestown Sun or log onto www.jamestownsun.com.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:20 pm

In central ND, it seems like the Bismarck Tribune only really cares about the Bismarck teams, which not cool cause they could really do a great job covering all the area teams. However, if one reads the Jamestown Sun, I have to give them credit as they cover the small towns way better than the Tribune. It's too bad that the Tribune doesn't have the Sun's sports section.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:26 pm

I am tired of hearing about the small minnesota teams.  I would love to hear more about North Dakota teams in the Fargo area. 
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby anderson16 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:47 pm

in Grand Forks, all the paper talks about is Red River. If Central would make a huge upset on Red River, the paper would talk about how bad Red River did, and if RR beat Central or any team, then they talk about how they just dominated. just stupid. 
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 pm

u must go to central haha, but i agree that
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby anderson16 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:57 pm

knights4 wrote:u must go to central haha, but i agree that

lol yes sir i do. everyone from central notices that and it never changes even tho some parents complain and junk.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 pm

no i know what mean, it's pretty rediculas 
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby anderson16 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 pm

yes sir.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:00 am

It is the exact same way with the Fargo Forum, South especially but also North get talked about so much more than West Fargo and even Shanley.  For example, when west Fargo beat South in the final EDC game, the headline was "South falls in EDC finale" little credit to West Fargo for winning just how south lost the game
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby gophers18 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:48 am

Southeast North Dakota is terrible especially in the Wahpeton area. I know alot of people who don't even buy the local paper because there isn't any coverage on the smaller schools in the area. Especially during the Legion baseball season. They couldn't even cover the section 1 tournament last year because it wasn't in Wahpeton. Same with radio coverage nothing done for baseball games. Nothing like listening to legion baseball games in the summer on the radio. Hats off to Lisbon radio and Bruce Daugherty for doing it. Just a class act for that station and having the guts to do it. Alot of people listen to those games.
gophers18

Postby homer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:59 am

the daily news has been called and their excuse was that wap-breck comes first then the outlying towns next but they should stop calling to get you to subscribe for an amazing 102$ per year the fargo forum is only 140$ per year. they dont realize how many papers they would sell with good coverage in little towns. the richland co. monitor does a better job
homer

Postby hcky1616 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Devils Lake area it is ALL about Minnewauken-Leeds for newspaper and radio.
hcky1616

Postby roughrider125 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:05 pm

EDC wrote:Does anybody have any issues with the amount of sports coverage one town or school gets compared to neighboring locations?  Living in the east, seems like Minnesota (namely Moorhead) gets quite a bit compared to the EDC teams.  TV stations had tape of virtually every Spud hockey game for instance.  What about Mandan/Bismarck or the Minot schools or big schools compared to smaller schools or even between sports?  Does the amount of coverage a school gets influence how good you think an athlete is?

In the F-M area Moorhead is #1 and then DGF.  It is really weird that DGF, Hawley and Ada-Borup get more press than FS and FN:?  WF and Shanley get no credit ...unless Dominique Schuler is playing:D
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:12 pm

anderson16 wrote:in Grand Forks, all the paper talks about is Red River. If Central would make a huge upset on Red River, the paper would talk about how bad Red River did, and if RR beat Central or any team, then they talk about how they just dominated. just stupid. 

The Herald does a great job of getting information out about surrounding communities.  Greg Devillers is hands down the best sports columnist in the state of North Dakota.  Period.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:26 pm

In my lifetime I've lived in these communities - Fargo, Grand Forks, Kenmare, Valley City, Dickinson, and Williston.  And everywhere I hear the same thing, complaints about local coverage.  I guess all you can do as a subscriber is complain to the editor, because as they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:46 pm

cubsfan wrote:
anderson16 wrote:in Grand Forks, all the paper talks about is Red River. If Central would make a huge upset on Red River, the paper would talk about how bad Red River did, and if RR beat Central or any team, then they talk about how they just dominated. just stupid. 

The Herald does a great job of getting information out about surrounding communities.  Greg Devillers is hands down the best sports columnist in the state of North Dakota.  Period.

i go back and forth between devillers and steve thomas at the trib. both are flat-out studs and both are really good guys.
rep

Postby feeshattack » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 pm

the Dickinson Press does a great job of covering guys and girls, class A and B of the team in SW ND... if there is a game, there is always an article
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby play_d_shoot3 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:01 pm

actually the Dickinson Press has way more stuff about the boys' teams than any girls' teams...like yesterday they had articles about the track season and trinity and dhs girls didnt have near the amount of stuff written about them as the boys' did
play_d_shoot3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubisonfan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:33 am

play_d_shoot3 wrote:actually the Dickinson Press has way more stuff about the boys' teams than any girls' teams...like yesterday they had articles about the track season and trinity and dhs girls didnt have near the amount of stuff written about them as the boys' did

so the boys had a few more lines written about them, I dont think that really is a big deal. Lot better than just leaving the girls out completely
ndsubisonfan

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:09 pm

cubsfan wrote:The Herald does a great job of getting information out about surrounding communities.  Greg Devillers is hands down the best sports columnist in the state of North Dakota.  Period.

I agree the Herald does a great job with surrounding communities. The Forum is a joke. when is comes to small town coverage.. as is Channel 6 news
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Carl08 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:15 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
cubsfan wrote:The Herald does a great job of getting information out about surrounding communities.  Greg Devillers is hands down the best sports columnist in the state of North Dakota.  Period.

I agree the Herald does a great job with surrounding communities. The Forum is a joke. when is comes to small town coverage.. as is Channel 6 news

channel 6 news seems to follow more minnesota teams than the others
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby highheat » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:40 pm

im suprised that one of the fargo tv stations doesnt have a sports show solely devoted to local high school sports. i know the forum has an entire page just for high school sports almost every thursday.
highheat

Next

Return to Hot Topics