where trinity's players come from

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby teamball » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:35 pm

So many people say that trinity recruits. I did some research and here is a list of  the players on trinity's 8 state tourney teams and where they come from. I'm listing the starters and first one or two off the bench.

Trevor Ernst, Lee Smith, Mitch Peters, Richard Ukestad-Trinity K-12

Scott Huffman, Brad Jaeger- Trinity 7-12

Scott Torgerson-Trinity for 3 years left for 4 years came back his senior year

Matt Ukestad, Joey Steiner, Dwight Jilek, Luke Filkowski, Brady Ernst-Trinity K-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Weston Vetter, Brady Ernst, Joey Steiner, Jadyn Nelson, Chad Glasser-Trinity K-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Weston Vetter, Brady Ernst, Jadyn Nelson, Chad Glasser, Jeremy Ficek, Brandon Messer-Trinity k-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Chad Glasser, Brandon Messer, Lee Kiedrowski, Jayden Peters, Landon Smith, John Wanner-Trinity K-12

Andy Murphy, Landon Smith, Ryan Ernst, Luke Steiner, Garrett Schank, Chris Barros-Trinity K-12

Steve Maershbecker-Trinity 9-12

Ryan Ernst, Luke Steiner, Landon Smith, Mark Keithley, Collin Kudrna, Jared Volesky-Trinity K-12

Jordon Rising-Trinity 7-12

Mark Keithley, Jacob Selinger, Brain Marsh, Tyler Barth, Parker Pladson, Mark Klug-Trinity K-12

Jordon Rising-Trinity 7-12

Huffman, Jaeger and Rising are all catholic they went to public grade school with the intentions of finishing at Trinity.

Hirst's dad works for MDU they started in Montana then moved to williston then to Dickinson. Mat tryed one year at Lincoln Elementary didn't like it and then came to Trinity, liked it and stayed.

The only one who didn't start Trinity at or before the 7th grade was Maershbecker. There family sold the resturant they had in Glen Ullin found jobs in Dickinson and sent there kids to trinity, you would have to ask them there reason why.

Your theory that Trinity recruits or gets kids that might not play at DHS to come over and help them be successful just got shot out of the water.

In fact Trinity has lost a lot of basketball players to DHS. The Oukrop's, two starters from this years girls team at DHS, Ridl and Messer.

Sorry guy's but it's all hard work and coaching   

teamball

Postby brownbomber » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:44 pm

teamball wrote:So many people say that trinity recruits. I did some research and here is a list of  the players on trinity's 8 state tourney teams and where they come from. I'm listing the starters and first one or two off the bench.

Matt Ukestad, Joey Steiner, Dwight Jilek, Luke Filkowski, Brady Ernst-Trinity K-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Weston Vetter, Brady Ernst, Joey Steiner, Jadyn Nelson, Chad Glasser-Trinity K-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Weston Vetter, Brady Ernst, Jadyn Nelson, Chad Glasser, Jeremy Ficek, Brandon Messer-Trinity k-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Chad Glasser, Brandon Messer, Lee Kiedrowski, Jayden Peters, Landon Smith, John Wanner-Trinity K-12

Andy Murphy, Landon Smith, Ryan Ernst, Luke Steiner, Garrett Schank, Chris Barros-Trinity K-12

Ryan Ernst, Luke Steiner, Landon Smith, Mark Keithley, Collin Kudrna, Jared Volesky-Trinity K-12

Mark Keithley, Jacob Selinger, Brain Marsh, Tyler Barth, Parker Pladson, Mark Klug-Trinity K-12

Huffman, Jaeger and Rising are all catholic they went to public grade school with the intentions of finishing at Trinity.

Hirst's dad works for MDU they started in Montana then moved to williston then to Dickinson. Mat tryed one year at Lincoln Elementary didn't like it and then came to Trinity, liked it and stayed.

The only one who didn't start Trinity at or before the 7th grade was Maershbecker. There family sold the resturant they had in Glen Ullin found jobs in Dickinson and sent there kids to trinity, you would have to ask them there reason why.

Your theory that Trinity recruits or gets kids that might not play at DHS to come over and help them be successful just got shot out of the water.

In fact Trinity has lost a lot of basketball players to DHS. The Oukrop's, two starters from this years girls team at DHS, Ridl and Messer.

some good names in there
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Trinity recruits?

It's not like Trinity has had all of these Mr. Basketball candidates who score 30 points per game. They have had some great stars, but most of them are just straight out good, not great, basketball players who get it done. Good defense is good defense.

Considering what they had to go through to win this season, they deserve more credit.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:30 am

coach deserves alot of credit
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbjay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Trinity does not recruit.  However, they do have an advantage being a class B school in a class A town.
Last edited by bbjay on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby boysbballfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 am

yea but most of their kids are coming from catholic elementry schools, which are not any bigger then small town elementery schools
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:55 am

bbjay wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again, Trinity does not recreuit.  However, they do have an advantage being a class B school in a class A town.

if that's the case then so does shiloh, oak grove, minot ryan, williston trinity too
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 am

point/center wrote:
bbjay wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again, Trinity does not recreuit.  However, they do have an advantage being a class B school in a class A town.

if that's the case then so does shiloh, oak grove, minot ryan, williston trinity too

I think that was a topic earlier where all of these teams were in the Region championship except Williston Trinity and I think they made semi's.  And 3 of these 5 are in state.  I'm not a private school hater and these teams would get pounded at class A so people just need to start dealing with it or start a 3rd class. 
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:54 am

teamball wrote:So many people say that trinity recruits. I did some research and here is a list of  the players on trinity's 8 state tourney teams and where they come from. I'm listing the starters and first one or two off the bench.

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

You forgot about one guy from 2003 and 2004, Mason Pokorny, he moved to Dickinson from Iowa his Junior year when his dad got a chiropracter job in Dickinson.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDinPHX » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:12 am

Forget about the 3rd class.  How about getting a better coach, making committments in the towns, and working harder. 

I am an outsider, since I haven't lived in ND in more then 18 years, but I visit, have friends all over the state and have been in coaching myself over the past 14 years.

I can tell you that over 75% of the problems of the teams, schools, and towns across the state come from internal sources.  I don't know this for a fact, but I believe that Trinity has a great support group, and that the parents, boosters and town are probably a positive in furthering this atmosphere.  Everyone plays a role, even the smallest, and if you are all on the same page, through the good times and the growing it will work out.  But, time and time again, negativity lurks and creeps in.  Bad influences get in the ear of the wrong people and drag down something that may have been moving in a positive direction.  Jealousy, Egos, Complacency, Laziness, and Self-destruction rear their ugly head, and the ones that suffer are the kids and the towns.  I lost count of the times I have heard people from different towns across the state talk about putting all their hopes onto one or two "special" classes and groups of kids.  Only to be let down, because they continued doing what they have always done.  These kids may have a ton of confidence to start, but everyone tells them how great they are and they start to believe that they don't have to work and they can beat anyone only to find out that hard work always pays off and they live in a very insulated world.
If you aren't trying to be a positive influence my friend, you are part of the problem.  Trinity maybe has some advantages that other towns and schools don't have, but it is the disadvantages of some of the small towns that set them apart.  Everyone here can probably name a couple of Joe Blows down at the local bar doing damage to their team without the kids even knowing they exist or seeing the damage and corrosion to the undercarriage of their bus.  Trinity can rise above this, because nearly everyone associated with them wants and expects the kids to exceed and succeed in all aspects of life in general.  These types of attitudes are passed down, nutured and accepted.  These types of attitudes can, but don't most of the time, flourish in the small towns across the state.
NDinPHX

Postby bbjay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:27 am

point/center wrote:

Exactly.  Only mentioned Trinity b/c it's a Trinity topic.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Swine-O » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

You forgot about one guy from 2003 and 2004, Mason Pokorny, he moved to Dickinson from Iowa his Junior year when his dad got a chiropracter job in Dickinson.

He said first one or two off the bench, and Mason rarely played.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Aaronih » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 am

hey fellas, nice post Ndninphx i respect that of a team like DT that they have good tradation like that. and goes well for the students and the community...but i have to say the winner of FW vs DT will prolly will state they both bring 2 different styles to the game i light it up offense against a in yur face defense..they say defense wins championships..i believe that but FW's senior leadership is important also especially a player of that calibur but 2 very good coach's and whoever can set the tempo can pull this one out...can't wait..ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET EARLY TICKETS??
be a leader not a follower..
Aaronih
NDPreps Starter

Postby grizz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 am

I dont know where else but they sell some tickets to the schools and you can buy them there. Im not sure if its only reserved seating tho.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby lutzey_14 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

I also wanted everyone to know that Luke Mormann, the 2004 Mr.Basketball winner was Catholic. If Trinity would recruit so much, don't you think they would try to get him?
lutzey_14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

grizz wrote:I dont know where else but they sell some tickets to the schools and you can buy them there. Im not sure if its only reserved seating tho.

I'm pretty sure they are only for the student section.
project-pat

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:38 pm

lutzey_14 wrote:I also wanted everyone to know that Luke Mormann, the 2004 Mr.Basketball winner was Catholic. If Trinity would recruit so much, don't you think they would try to get him?

yes i believe his parents used too teach at trinity a while back
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoser94 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:29 pm

add [url=mailto:hoser94@hotmail]hoser94@hotmail[/url] and i will tell u how to get early and good seats

hoser94

Postby grizz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:32 pm

project-pat wrote:
grizz wrote:I dont know where else but they sell some tickets to the schools and you can buy them there. Im not sure if its only reserved seating tho.

I'm pretty sure they are only for the student section.

Actually, I was leaning more towards reserved seating only. I know for sure that they are selling those right now at Trinity because I was talking to the office today and thats all that they had so far.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby carolina blue » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:02 pm

in regards to the mason pokorny comment. mason is a good friend of mine but he was not a very good bball player. he played like 5 minutes a game.
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm

why steve thomas is the man. about halfway down, i've bolded what he said as he delves into the recruiting issue:

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/19/news/sports/local/130578.txt

[font=Arial]Looking back on the tournaments[/font]

[font=Arial]After a month of high school wrestling and basketball tournaments it's time for a little shop talk.

Ican't think of anything that strikes the human ear with such a discordant clang as rooting along press row.

There were some instances of this serious etiquette violation along the tournament trail this year. People who indulge in such behavior should be treated just as horse thieves were dealt with in the old west.

Having been advised by colleagues that inappropriate cheering can't be considered a hanging offense, I'd settle for tarring and feathering.[/font]

[font=Arial]None of that should be necessary, however, if media types would remember one simple rule: If you feel the need to cheer, go into the stands and yell until you sprain a tonsil. But don't do it while you're using a media pass. The last thing Ineed is a coach asking me the identity of some dude who was rooting from the press section.

[/font][font=Arial]OFFENSIVELYOFFENSIVE:It's not my business to rate sports officials or tell them how to do their jobs. Still, the inconsistency in dealing with offensive fouls over the last three weeks has been striking. The West Region boys tournament produced offensive fouls literally by the score. At the state Class Aboys tournament the witch hunt for offensive fouls abated somewhat. Then, during the state Class Bboys tournament things were pretty much back to normal. Isn't consistency supposed to be the basis of good officiating?

[/font][font=Arial]CAN'T-MISS:There was no way the electors could miss with this year's group of Mr. Basketball finalists. Having seen Brian Qvale, JustinBelohlavek, Tate Kick and Jordan Wilhelm play, I could happily have accepted any of them as Mr.Basketball. And guys like Mark Bakkum, TonyIronheart and Luke Lorenz aren't exactly dead weight.

If there were those with doubts about the 6-foot-11 Qvale as Mr. Basketball material, he certainly took care of that at tournament time. He scored 66 points, grabbed 41 rebounds and blocked 12 shots in three regional tournament games as Williston earned a state tourney berth. At the Fargodome he racked up 63 points with 38 rebounds and 17 blocked shots to lead the Coyotes to third place. Some player.

[/font][font=Arial]DEEEEEFENSE:To those who doubt defense is the key in high school basketball come tournament time, just rewind to this year's four state title games.

Bottineau downed New Salem 58-30 and Mandan put away Devils Lake 58-51 in the girls finals. Dickinson edged Bismarck 59-55 and Parshall disposed of DickinsonTrinity 49-36 in the boys finals. Average score:56-43.

All four champions had much more impressive offensive credentials then their championship game scores indicate. However, tournament basketball is about grinding out victories, not flying high.

[/font][font=Arial]QUITTHEWHINING: The last few weeks my poor aching ears have heard more about "recruiting" than they can stand. Mandan's girls "recruit." The parochial schools "recruit." Bismarck wrestling "recruits."

Please, people, if you're not willing to put up, shut up.

According to Sherm Sylling of the High School Activities Association, there's only one avenue by which recruiting complaints can be lodged. A member school must make a formal complaint to the NDHSAAoffice. That gets the ball rolling. A parent can't file a complaint. Nor can a coach or fan. A member school must lodge a complaint.

Now, until a school is willing to stand up and, for the record, tell the NDHSAAthat something is awry there is really no "recruiting" problem. It's easy to whine and shoot off your mouth about the alleged "recruiting" going on. Standing up and making a formal accusation takes some spine. Until we see some spine, let's cut back on the whining.

[/font][font=Arial]FORGETTHESHOTCLOCK:Between the Jamboree at the Bismarck Civic Center and the state boys basketball tournament, Icovered just enough Class B basketball this winter to notice the absence of the shot clock. Class Abasketball has benefited tremendously from the shot clock and Ireally believe Class B fans, players and coaches would grow to love it after a couple of years.

Having said that, I'm dead set against the idea of the NDHSAAimposing the shot clock on Class B schools. My reasoning is simple. I despise unfunded mandates. It makes no sense to tell a school district with 40 students in high school that it has to spend a few grand on shot clocks and the people to man them. Maybe the answer is to give Class Bbasketball officials the power to make stalling calls, just like their wrestling brethren do.

Let's see.First stalling call you lose possession of the basketball. Second call, it's a bench technical. Third call, it's a five-shot technical. Fourth call, it's a forfeit.

[/font][font=Arial]LEVELINGOFF:Speaking of wrestling, things appear to be evening out. It used to be common knowledge that the state tilted to the East when it came to hockey and to the West when wrestling was involved.

But look at the state Class Atournament wrestling results the last two seasons. In 2006, West Fargo, Bismarck, Wahpeton, Fargo South and Mandan claimed the top five spots in the individual tournament standings. Sixteen of the 28 state finalists were from the East, as were nine of the 14 individual state champions. At the 2007 state tournament, Wahpeton, Bismarck, Turtle Mountain, Minot and Grand Forks Red River finished one through five. The east had a 15-13 edge in state finalists and the individual state champions were split 7-7.

The only thing that's remained the same is the dual tournament. After eight years of state dual tourneys, Bismarck is the one and only champion.[/font]
rep

Postby helloyall » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:53 pm

what about robbie morey man i guess trinity recruited him too but if i remember right he went to st. pats in dickinson from k-6 but whatever.
Last edited by helloyall on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go twins
helloyall
NDPreps Reserve

Postby helloyall » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:58 pm

yeah all he played in iowa was soccer and trinity definately recruites for their really good soccer team they dont have.

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Mat Hirst-Trinity 7-12

Last edited by helloyall on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go twins
helloyall
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Norm70 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 am

My thoughts are this, that the parochial schools need their own seperate region if they want to play in class B. They can have one team in the state B and that team may win it, but not 3 or 4 every year.

It is not fair to smaller schools. Look at it this way where i am at right now the population is about 1500-2000 people for the school district. Of those people about 130 are in hs 9-12(not a bad size for class B). From that we get maybe 20-25 out for basketball(we are competing with wrestling for kids). Of those 20, 12 will dress vasity most of the time. Of those 12 you hope for maybe 2 good players, the rest is support. On your bench you hope to have 1 or 2 you can bring off the bench for support. Usually your supporting cast nowadays, is not jrs or seniors, it is freshman and sophmores, believe me it makes a huge diffeence. Your talent level usually drops off after those 1 or 2 players. If your really really lucky those 2 good players will show leadership qualities all 4 yrs of high school and lead your team to a good record. Most of time these good players or player will be mature as a senior and thats it.

If your parshall u hit the jackpot, 3 upperclassmen that are outstanding talents and from what i could tell excellent leaders. Well when you get that you win a state chamioonship. The thing is parshall is going to probably not make the state tourney next year w/o the packenau boys(although i wish them luck) b/c they will not see that talent for the next 20 or so yrs (if thier lucky, most schools have never seen the talent they had). Parochial schools may not see the level of talent that Rudy young bird( Impressed my more than the Packenau's) and the packeneau boys were at, but they will see a talent level much higher than that of the Wiltons, Mohalls, Lamoures, Edgely's of the world year after year. Even if they do not recruit, which i think they have done on occasion, they have a talent pool anywhere from 4000 to 10000 kids to choose from. It really isn't fair to the small towns when they have to play private schools that can go 10 deep with jrs and sr's(yes there is the occsial underclassmen) and still not lose talent off the bench.

As a coach do envy the way some of our private schools play? Very much so. Do i strive to get my kids on the same level as a Dickinson Trinity, you bet i do. Do I hope to one day have a program that so good that other teams hate us. I think every coach with any ambition wishes for all of these things, b/c i think it is important to believe in what you have already, if don't why are you a fan or a coach?

So why should we not have a 3 class system? It would take one of Nodaks most sacred events and water it down. Minnesota went to a 5 class system and now for most state championship games they will get less than 9,500 fans(Which is what the B had for #'s this year).

So i think the best solution is put the parochial schools in thier own region, it may take some involvement from the NDHSAA, but i think it can be done. If they choose to play hoops at a private school you will have to travel simple as that.
Norm70

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:23 am

If that would happen, Private schools would lose enrollment and money.  Face it, it wouldn't work out.  North Dakota is low on private schools as it is... plus it's not like they're such big powerhouse here anyways like in California, Florida, New Jersey, New York, etc... all of those schools have tons and tons of money because of their great programs and just because of their high populations.  All of the private/parochial schools in this state are merely getting by as is...So it wouldn't work out here in ND and it wouldn't be fair to these schools.  Why discredit some of these schools for their hard work?
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics