should class b basketball have a shot clock

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bruins44 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:50 am

crazy wrote:The teams that want a shot clock are the teams that dont want to play deffense for more then 35 sec.

The shot clock was not put into play because of good defense!! it was put in to avoid stalling by offenses.... so if you like games 35 - 30 then I guess you dont want a shot clock...   I guess College men and women and pro basketball is not fun to watch... boy its really fun to watch a team play catch out front or run 10 passes before they even look at the basket
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 pm

bruins44 wrote:
crazy wrote:The teams that want a shot clock are the teams that dont want to play deffense for more then 35 sec.

The shot clock was not put into play because of good defense!! it was put in to avoid stalling by offenses.... so if you like games 35 - 30 then I guess you dont want a shot clock...   I guess College men and women and pro basketball is not fun to watch... boy its really fun to watch a team play catch out front or run 10 passes before they even look at the basket

this is true. im sure the pressure of having to shot the ball within 35 seconds can get to a player too, especially against good defenses.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:03 am

The only reason I can see having a shot clock in class B is to stop the stalling at the end of close games.  In most instances throughout games, the team that has the ball is going to shoot before 30-35 seconds anyway so I doubt if it will add any more scoring to games.  But when there's 3 min left and the team up by 10 stalls, that's when a shot clock is needed.  Anybody at the FW/ML game on Saturday see how mad ML fans got at FW stalling the last 4 min of the game?  I can guarantee if ML had the lead they would have done the same thing.  It's just part of the game and I think it needs to be change to make the end of games more exciting.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:24 am

i forget.....they use a shot clock in the lions game correct?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Weezy Baby » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:09 am

i think a shot clock in class B would the best possible thing that could happen. The state B tourney is already the best thing every year, but with a shot clock it would be even more exciting.
Last edited by Weezy Baby on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weezy Baby

Postby Biff » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 am

If a shot clock was added to Class B then there would really be some blow outs.  And then everyone would complain because of people running up the score. 
Biff
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportsAreLife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:21 pm

yes adding a shot clock would make the games more interesting but being able to take 2-3 mins off the clock is imprssive it also forces teams to play defense during that time
SportsAreLife

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 pm

SportsAreLife wrote:yes adding a shot clock would make the games more interesting but being able to take 2-3 mins off the clock is imprssive it also forces teams to play defense during that time

not if one team sits in a zone an the ball is in the corner at the halfline.....cant say the defense is wearing themselves out.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby roughrider125 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Biff wrote:If a shot clock was added to Class B then there would really be some blow outs.  And then everyone would complain because of people running up the score. 

There may be some blowouts but if a coach is a good sport it doesn't have to get unreasonable.  Put your JV in give and give the Varsity some rest.  Besides what is more degrading than being down by 30 and having a team basically sit there and play keep away from you.  In many cases the shot clock will allow a team down by 20 to get back in it.  W/O a shot clock the game is pretty much over, when you make a team shoot there is always a chance to get back in it. 
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball30 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:04 pm

YES, please make them use a shot clock please
baseball30

Postby power-aid14 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:30 am

Last Monday, our team lost the district championship. We got outplayed and that is the reason we lost. The shot clock in a type of game such as this would be very beneficial though. The comeback in class B is a matter of fouling a bad shooter with 4 minutes left.....sometimes in the 3rd quarter! I feel personally it would be great if a team could defensively stop the other team without having to resort to a foul. A game we played earlier in the district tournament had a final score of 37-28. Now if that isnt boring i dont know what is. It was horrible having the other team pass the ball around for two minutes, making the crowd snore and takes us players out of the regular tempo of how a game should be. But i guess if we would have been winning we would have done the same thing in a chapionship so its hard to complain. I would just love to see a comeback like some of the ones some class a teams can pull off. I love the idea of a two for one opportunity where we could put of a shot at 40 seconds. As of now the teams in our district hold for the last shot with a minute 30 left. Its very bothersome when you lose but when you win i guess its just another thing to use to your advantage.             -----power-aid14

P.S. Thank You God for persuading the vikings to release brad johnson. it made my day.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby smart source » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:26 am

Biff wrote:If a shot clock was added to Class B then there would really be some blow outs.  And then everyone would complain because of people running up the score. 

in that case they need to make a 3 class system and have the top 2 use shotclocks
smart source

Postby grizz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:46 am

Not necessarily. Most teams move around the ball till they get a good look. And with a shotclock, that would force some bad shots and both teams would be at the same disadvantage.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Weezy Baby » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm

YES! class B needs a shot clock so bad it hurts. no more stalling to win, its garbage.
Weezy Baby

Postby grizz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 am

Weezy Baby wrote:YES! class B needs a shot clock so bad it hurts. no more stalling to win, its garbage.

Yeah a close game would be so much more intense to watch if you knew they couldnt stall. IT GETS MY VOTE!
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Fan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Agree with all who want this....class is very boring to watch. Let's get the shot clock in there and play some b-ball.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
B Fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby homer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:54 pm

i dont beleive it will ever happen too many $
homer

Postby just a bb fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:51 am

After watching the Class B tournament this weekend, PLEASE make them use a shot clock!
just a bb fan

Postby Diamond D » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:54 am

After watching the Class B tournament this weekend, PLEASE make them use a shot clock!

Well said.:user:
Diamond D

Postby homer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:04 am

only trinity really needed the clock and it will never happen not to beat a dead horse but too many $$$$ for the small schools nothing wrong with being different than the other classes
homer

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:13 pm

homer wrote:only trinity really needed the clock and it will never happen not to beat a dead horse but too many $$$$ for the small schools nothing wrong with being different than the other classes

if its boring then there is something wrong with being different:?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:28 am

homer wrote:only trinity really needed the clock and it will never happen not to beat a dead horse but too many $$$$ for the small schools nothing wrong with being different than the other classes

I don't know that it's so much as being different, but just making them play the game.  They call stalling in wrestling, why can't they do it in basketball? 
just a bb fan

Postby homer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 am

yea maybe different was not the right way to put it but its always been that way why change it but in the same way there was never the three point stripe either and dont know if there controversy about that when it came up or not but if you have the defense stalling shouldnt happen so it is a good game when you have a good offense that can stall or handle the ball and a team that is quick and denies the passes or gets the steal
homer

Postby klg_11 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:55 am

just a bb fan wrote:

I don't know that it's so much as being different, but just making them play the game.  They call stalling in wrestling, why can't they do it in basketball

they do!!! its when the shot clock runs to 0, so the ball is turned over:up:
klg_11

Postby klg_11 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:57 am

and ya i think class B should definetly have one, when a team has a shot clock down to 8 or less and the ball is knocked out of bounds and they get the ball back with few  secs to make the score.. its pretty sweet
klg_11

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics