Time for the "Death Penalty" at Richland

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Time for the "Death Penalty" at Richland

Postby heimer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm

From my sports blog at http://www.knoxradio.com Feel free to comment here or there.

In 1987, the term "death penalty" took on a whole new meaning, a sports meaning.

Southern Methodist University received a new kind of punishment from the NCAA regarding rampant recruiting violations in it's football program.

The cheating was egregious enough that the NCAA doled out the most forceful punishment it could fathom:

No football next year.

The entire 1987 season was canceled. In addition to losing scholarships, future post-season opportunities, and other penalties, the NCAA decided SMU could go sit and think about it for a year.

On January 17th of this year, parents of students at Richland High School in Colfax, ND, approached school superintendent Tim Godfrey about a concern over a "rape game" in the school, a game that reportedly involved holding students down and using fingers to anally penetrate them. Other reports included toothbrushes being used, and students returning home with holes in their underwear.

The next day, Godfrey, along with high school principal Bruce Anderson, and athletic director John Freeman, decided to sit down with the boys in sports. According to Godfrey, Freeman said things like "I told you to knock this off" and "we've been through this before."

In case you have not been able to keep up with modern times, we have a word for forcefully penetrating someone with digits and objects against their will. That word is "rape".

So, if I interpret Freeman's statements correctly, the district had been "through" rape "before" and the students were forcefully punished with a "knock this off". Later in the meeting, the athletes were told that, should it happen again, that athlete would no longer play basketball that season.

Some punishment for rape, huh? To be fair, five of the male students have been charged with 10 felonies and 24 misdemeanors, including hazing, sexual assault, felonious restraint, and terrorizing. All charged as juveniles.

Now on to the adults in the room. Freeman is gone, but no one is giving a reason. Godfrey and Anderson will quietly move on at the end of the year.

Another scandal in public education that will result in very little. Someone will replace all three while two administrators ride away blameless.

If school districts will not do their jobs and begin terminating administrators in these situations for cause, denying them any benefits they may walk away with, it's time for the next best entity in North Dakota to take a stand.

That entity is the North Dakota High School Activities Association.

It's time for the death penalty at Richland. I know I'll catch heat for this from just about every parent and school administrator around. I already have, with an athletic director at a school to our southwest refusing to send me schedules over a Facebook post I made on the subject.

Nevertheless, the NDHSAA must respond with a bylaw in it's constitution that addresses this situation. No school district should be able to participate in NDHSAA events without being a school in good standing.

In case you're wondering, an investigation that dealt with parents, board members, administrators, and coaches generated statements like "boys will be boys", and "this kind of stuff happens all over the country".

That's not good standing.

The NDHSAA "death penalty" should involve:

1) The loss of that school district to participate in any NDHSAA-sanctioned event for a calendar year from the date of the punishment taking effect. NDHSAA events typically include regional and state tournaments. So, no post-season.

2) Any athlete at said school that was not involved in the illegal behavior is immediately eligible to transfer to another school district. Normally, a transfer without a parental move results in a one-year loss of eligibility. In these cases, that player can play right away.

3) (and here's the tough one) Any player who plays for that school in a regular season, non-sanctioned contest at the varsity level will be ineligible at any school district for the three following seasons.

Why that last one? Simple. Currently, with a few exceptions, the NDHSAA allows schools to fill their regular season schedules on their own, and only oversees the tournaments. Schools being hit with the "death penalty" would simply play their regular seasons, blame the bad boys at the NDHSAA for no tournaments (analogous to the continuous "Fighting Sioux nickname and logo debate), and still offer activities.

There should be no football. There should be no basketball, or anything else. No Friday night lights. No popcorn in the gym when the ball goes up.

It has to hurt.

I understand that the school will eventually be off of their punishment, so junior varsity programs can continue. Not varsity programs. You forfeited your right, as a district, when you ignored the "rape game". So, if a kid really feels like putting on your school's uniform, they can choose to at the expense of their athletic, or fine arts, careers.

Yeah, harsh, I know, and no, I don't want to take away an innocent student's ability to participate. This "death penalty" doesn't do that. The transfer rule protects their ability to play at the highest level.

What the "death penalty" does do is give the school board and administrators a reason to consider more than the "education family" of their employees and co-workers when they choose to cover up or ignore things like a "rape game". The retirement or resignation of the men in charge isn't enough. The Richland report said variations of the "rape game" have been going on there since 2015-16.

Three years of terrorism in locker rooms, hallways, and hotel rooms on trips. Ten felonies and 24 misdemeanors. Simply going back on the field this fall with new personnel is not enough.

If other schools will not support this, I would take it as an indication that we've lost our way on what public education exists for. It's not for wins and losses, its for education, including choices and consequences, accountability, honesty, and integrity. No athletic program is worth sacrificing that.

Students at Richland were raped, and their claims ignored to keep people employed and athletes on the field. These choices by local school districts need to come to an immediate halt.

It's time for the "death penalty".
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Time for the "Death Penalty" at Richland

Postby vikingman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I wonder how many coaches/administrators would have called the authorities upon first hearing about the events? I'm betting most would try to end the behavior 'in house' before calling in the police. We can all say that we would have handled it differently, but I doubt many would. In small-town North Dakota, you know the kids and parents personally. I imagine it would be hard to make a call to the authorities that could ruin those lives. It looks like these people let it go well beyond the first instance, though.

Don't take these statements to mean that I agree with the 'boys will be boys' defense. If guilty, these kids need to pay a heavy price. It's got to be tearing the community apart. I just hope the victims don't end up being blamed--yet that will probably happen to some extent.

There seems to be at least one Richland resident on these forums that doesn't seem to believe there's anything to the story. The news reports indicate a good amount of evidence, but then, for a long time, there seemed to be solid evidence in the McMartin pre-school case, too. Maybe we should just let things play out in the courts. Unfortunately, since they're juveniles, we'll probably never hear all the evidence.

As for giving them the 'death penalty', I don't see it happening. The NDHSAA isn't going to want to open that can of worms.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 pm

SPOILER ALERT!

Then the legislature will.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 pm

I cannot accept the "death penalty", but you are 100% right that something more needs to be done. The Administration's response to this was a complete joke. None of those 3 should ever be allowed to work with kids again. Hopefully the ND Education Standards and Practices Board gets involved and revokes their teaching licenses. I have heard that one of the reasons for the lack of response from the Administration was that these kids "had the right last names". Hopefully that is not true, but anyone involved in small schools knows that that happens a lot. The wheels of the justice system turn slowly, but hopefully they have their day in court and this is all settled by the start of the fall sports season.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State

Postby MoSiouxFan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 am

heimer wrote:From my sports blog at http://www.knoxradio.com Feel free to comment here or there.

In 1987, the term "death penalty" took on a whole new meaning, a sports meaning.

Southern Methodist University received a new kind of punishment from the NCAA regarding rampant recruiting violations in it's football program.

The cheating was egregious enough that the NCAA doled out the most forceful punishment it could fathom:

No football next year.

The entire 1987 season was canceled. In addition to losing scholarships, future post-season opportunities, and other penalties, the NCAA decided SMU could go sit and think about it for a year.

On January 17th of this year, parents of students at Richland High School in Colfax, ND, approached school superintendent Tim Godfrey about a concern over a "rape game" in the school, a game that reportedly involved holding students down and using fingers to anally penetrate them. Other reports included toothbrushes being used, and students returning home with holes in their underwear.

The next day, Godfrey, along with high school principal Bruce Anderson, and athletic director John Freeman, decided to sit down with the boys in sports. According to Godfrey, Freeman said things like "I told you to knock this off" and "we've been through this before."

In case you have not been able to keep up with modern times, we have a word for forcefully penetrating someone with digits and objects against their will. That word is "rape".

So, if I interpret Freeman's statements correctly, the district had been "through" rape "before" and the students were forcefully punished with a "knock this off". Later in the meeting, the athletes were told that, should it happen again, that athlete would no longer play basketball that season.

Some punishment for rape, huh? To be fair, five of the male students have been charged with 10 felonies and 24 misdemeanors, including hazing, sexual assault, felonious restraint, and terrorizing. All charged as juveniles.

Now on to the adults in the room. Freeman is gone, but no one is giving a reason. Godfrey and Anderson will quietly move on at the end of the year.

Another scandal in public education that will result in very little. Someone will replace all three while two administrators ride away blameless.

If school districts will not do their jobs and begin terminating administrators in these situations for cause, denying them any benefits they may walk away with, it's time for the next best entity in North Dakota to take a stand.

That entity is the North Dakota High School Activities Association.

It's time for the death penalty at Richland. I know I'll catch heat for this from just about every parent and school administrator around. I already have, with an athletic director at a school to our southwest refusing to send me schedules over a Facebook post I made on the subject.

Nevertheless, the NDHSAA must respond with a bylaw in it's constitution that addresses this situation. No school district should be able to participate in NDHSAA events without being a school in good standing.

In case you're wondering, an investigation that dealt with parents, board members, administrators, and coaches generated statements like "boys will be boys", and "this kind of stuff happens all over the country".

That's not good standing.

The NDHSAA "death penalty" should involve:

1) The loss of that school district to participate in any NDHSAA-sanctioned event for a calendar year from the date of the punishment taking effect. NDHSAA events typically include regional and state tournaments. So, no post-season.

2) Any athlete at said school that was not involved in the illegal behavior is immediately eligible to transfer to another school district. Normally, a transfer without a parental move results in a one-year loss of eligibility. In these cases, that player can play right away.

3) (and here's the tough one) Any player who plays for that school in a regular season, non-sanctioned contest at the varsity level will be ineligible at any school district for the three following seasons.

Why that last one? Simple. Currently, with a few exceptions, the NDHSAA allows schools to fill their regular season schedules on their own, and only oversees the tournaments. Schools being hit with the "death penalty" would simply play their regular seasons, blame the bad boys at the NDHSAA for no tournaments (analogous to the continuous "Fighting Sioux nickname and logo debate), and still offer activities.

There should be no football. There should be no basketball, or anything else. No Friday night lights. No popcorn in the gym when the ball goes up.

It has to hurt.

I understand that the school will eventually be off of their punishment, so junior varsity programs can continue. Not varsity programs. You forfeited your right, as a district, when you ignored the "rape game". So, if a kid really feels like putting on your school's uniform, they can choose to at the expense of their athletic, or fine arts, careers.

Yeah, harsh, I know, and no, I don't want to take away an innocent student's ability to participate. This "death penalty" doesn't do that. The transfer rule protects their ability to play at the highest level.

What the "death penalty" does do is give the school board and administrators a reason to consider more than the "education family" of their employees and co-workers when they choose to cover up or ignore things like a "rape game". The retirement or resignation of the men in charge isn't enough. The Richland report said variations of the "rape game" have been going on there since 2015-16.

Three years of terrorism in locker rooms, hallways, and hotel rooms on trips. Ten felonies and 24 misdemeanors. Simply going back on the field this fall with new personnel is not enough.

If other schools will not support this, I would take it as an indication that we've lost our way on what public education exists for. It's not for wins and losses, its for education, including choices and consequences, accountability, honesty, and integrity. No athletic program is worth sacrificing that.

Students at Richland were raped, and their claims ignored to keep people employed and athletes on the field. These choices by local school districts need to come to an immediate halt.

It's time for the "death penalty".

Well said, and I completely agree. It's incredulous to me that this went on for over two years before anything was done about it, and the "anything" that has been done about it so far isn't nearly enough.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am

This is a horrible situation, what makes it even worse is that it's been ongoing. I agree that something more needs to be done, I completely agree with going after the 3 that had knowledge that did nothing. I don't agree with the death penalty and here is why.

1. The people in the town did nothing wrong. School sports contest are a big deal to small towns. I don't think those people in the community did anything wrong.

2. I like your idea that those who didn't participate in the "game" not be punished, however, for some students it's just not possible to transfer to another town and participate in sports. Some families couldn't afford the additional costs.

3. It kind of draws attention away from the individuals who are to blame. I say punish those involved to the full extent of the law.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:52 am

The 3 men in charge are out,trials are over, let the town recover in peace from EVERYONE in the media.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hot Topics