The New in Coaching

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The New in Coaching

Postby sportsdaily » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 pm

I was watching Florida play Kentucky last weekend and towards the end of the game Donavon took a time out and the camera zoomed in on him and he was freaking out
F-bomb city the commentator even commented but the camera stayed on him and when he realized he mellowed
is this way of coaching trickling down into our High Schools, I personally think it is, and its wrong

what are you seeing out there?
sportsdaily
NDPreps Rookie

Re: The New in Coaching

Postby HONKER » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:19 am

It's been in the schools forever. Some coaches are just worse than others. God forbid someone say something to our poor Suzy and Joey and hurt their feelings.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsdaily » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:46 am

HONKER wrote:It's been in the schools forever. Some coaches are just worse than others. God forbid someone say something to our poor Suzy and Joey and hurt their feelings.

well then you might have nailed it without knowing it "the schools forever" do you mean ND Class A and B schools?
and if "some coaches are worse than others" tell me how WORSE and productive go together
Hurt feelings? I would say has nothing to do with it,
how many Jobs out there pay millions (college) and thousands (HSchools) to the foreman or boss to degrade performance with F-Bombs, Is the theory, it must sink in further/better, or may it be intimidation?
Ok I get it, these players will all end up on a construction crew or job someday that the cussing is common place or will they end up in a profession where its not allowed having to work with the general public or become a pastor or whatever.
ND coach teacher application? does it state, you must be able to cuss with the best of them?
sportsdaily
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:42 pm

In high school sports, I think this is less than the norm than it was twenty years ago. The yelling may be more prevalent in boys sports but the cussing and degrading just is not stood for anymore. Kids don't respond to this type of coaching, especially girls, and most coaches have figured out that a more positive direction is better for the kids.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsdaily » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:27 pm

I played sports for 8 years in school, I heard the F word once and it was directed towards the other coach because our coach had went to college with him and didn't like him

check this out...I had read this before, but recently an icon in coaching has left us

"He found a way to make everyone feel like they were the center of attention," Montross said. "And he did it not in a way of false praise or false feeling, it was this genuine interest in your well-being."

Smith also had his own brand of tough love.

"We called it the wrath of Dean," Ford said. "Not many people played for him (who) didn't come under that. ... He never swore. I never heard Coach Smith swear, but he could speak to you in a way sometimes that you wish you would."

I'd much rather play for Smith than a Donavan or Bobby Knight, you take 10 athletes they're all solid and good players 5 may not mind it 5 don't like it, has nothing to do with feelings, it has everything to do with life
sports and swearing? great combo and needs to be there? nope Smith and many others have proves that.

if directed at adolescents? I would say it would go against the handbook at least and definitely against the code of conduct put out by each state
sportsdaily
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BB11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 am

Obviously you have a particular coach in mind that you are thinking/complaining about.
If that coaches actions are that appalling, than I suggest you should discuss it with said coach and/or administration for that school. Maybe they don't realize they do it that much - or at all. Maybe if someone brings it up to them, they will reflect on how they engage their players, and try to change in that respect. You might find that the information given to you, especially if it is from a teenager; might be greatly exaggerated or completely false, depending on the situation. I'm not saying it doesn't happen with coaches at any level - but until a person would address it 1st hand, nothing good is going to come out of any conversation about the "problem," that you would have on this forum, as speculation will start to run rampant, and some people's names might be tarnished when they might not justifiably should be.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:42 am

BB11 wrote:Obviously you have a particular coach in mind that you are thinking/complaining about.
If that coaches actions are that appalling, than I suggest you should discuss it with said coach and/or administration for that school. Maybe they don't realize they do it that much - or at all. Maybe if someone brings it up to them, they will reflect on how they engage their players, and try to change in that respect. You might find that the information given to you, especially if it is from a teenager; might be greatly exaggerated or completely false, depending on the situation. I'm not saying it doesn't happen with coaches at any level - but until a person would address it 1st hand, nothing good is going to come out of any conversation about the "problem," that you would have on this forum, as speculation will start to run rampant, and some people's names might be tarnished when they might not justifiably should be.

a lot of maybe's and might's
have never had a "teenager" say one thing about this topic
read my first post, I've seen/heard with my own eyes and ears in many schools and colleges
once again maybe more expected after the legal age of 18 but adolescents?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics