Mandan Recruitment...everybody knows it!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:02 am

Baller wrote:I heard that an official petition has been filed with the NDHSAA against Mandan and its recruiting tactics.  Rumor is that they have about 6-7 players that Amundson tried to get and didn't to testify.

Not sure the validity, but that is what is going around.

if that is true that is pathetic

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball4 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 am

HAHA...thats absolutely ridiculous...the girls that came to Mandan chose to go to Mandan for a simple reason, they wanna win and get noticed....obviously people are noticing them in the wrong way... give credit to the girls that lived in Mandan all there lives and have had to deal with new girls coming in and them adjusting to there style of play...
baseball4

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:12 am

Baller wrote:I heard that an official petition has been filed with the NDHSAA against Mandan and its recruiting tactics.  Rumor is that they have about 6-7 players that Amundson tried to get and didn't to testify.

Not sure the validity, but that is what is going around.
wut is the ndhsaa actually going to do if amundson isnt giving money away all of his recruiting tactics are legal

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:36 am

the whole recruiting fiasco, is reason why NDHSAA is allgedley changing transfer rules/elgibility. anyone know if the ink is dry on that yet?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:45 am

That's just typical immature Class A coaches for ya...if ya can't beat 'em..do the next best thing...file a petition and try to bring the other team down in anyway possible...but it will never work:dude:
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:48 am

SDHoops wrote:That's just typical immature Class A coaches for ya...if ya can't beat 'em..do the next best thing...file a petition and try to bring the other team down in anyway possible...but it will never work:dude:
exactly and if it ever does work i have no respect for those coaches involved amundson is working with girls when they are 5 maybe if the other coaches did that they would be as successful also i would think there is a difference between a mandan practice and a different teams practice

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:56 am

cdub1 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:That's just typical immature Class A coaches for ya...if ya can't beat 'em..do the next best thing...file a petition and try to bring the other team down in anyway possible...but it will never work:dude:
exactly and if it ever does work i have no respect for those coaches involved amundson is working with girls when they are 5 maybe if the other coaches did that they would be as successful also i would think there is a difference between a mandan practice and a different teams practice

even so, he has no right to recruit players.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 am

Baller wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

even so, he has no right to recruit players.

not sayin he does becuz i am pretty sure he doesnt but why doesnt he have the right to its not breaking any rules so he kinda does have that option

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:02 am

apparently he doesn't feel that he can win with the girls in mandan if he needs to go out and recruit other teams' best players.  It have to do with integrity and ethics and if I were a mandan native, it would anger me because it takes away from the program and its integrity.  Mandan people can be as proud as they want, but they don't have the respect of everyone else in the state.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 am

Baller wrote:apparently he doesn't feel that he can win with the girls in mandan if he needs to go out and recruit other teams' best players.  It have to do with integrity and ethics and if I were a mandan native, it would anger me because it takes away from the program and its integrity.  Mandan people can be as proud as they want, but they don't have the respect of everyone else in the state.
he knows he can win with the players in mandan because he does every year we get 2 players and its a horrible recruiting deal schuler transferred hendrickson transferred does anybody complain nope

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:17 am

And Shuler's parents didn't move... I hear she's living in an apartment with her sister in Fargo.   But I thought this was a free country where people could make their own choices about their life.

Plus I don't think there are 6 - 7 girls in the state that could make it at Mandan.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:38 am

cdub1 wrote:
Baller wrote:apparently he doesn't feel that he can win with the girls in mandan if he needs to go out and recruit other teams' best players.  It have to do with integrity and ethics and if I were a mandan native, it would anger me because it takes away from the program and its integrity.  Mandan people can be as proud as they want, but they don't have the respect of everyone else in the state.
he knows he can win with the players in mandan because he does every year we get 2 players and its a horrible recruiting deal schuler transferred hendrickson transferred does anybody complain nope

yeah if they do this to mandan then they should do it for bhs too.  hendrickson was called just about every other night of his sophomore year to play bball there.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby #50mandan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:12 pm

has anyone heard anything on the girls being ranked in the nation?
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby arsnl7 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 am

I dont think they are, I couldn't find them in any polls.
arsnl7

Postby got brains? » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 am

Face it they all recruit... and Ming said it best... Miller with BHS has been one of the biggest recruiters in Boys BB... Also, Mandan can and is winning with Mandan Kids... Kelsch, Kielpinski, Kraft, Collins, Strandemo, Gannon etc etc... are all Mandan Natives... AND... if you look at who is scoring... well, you all know... the only transfer from last year scoring is Finley... and if coaches were smart... they could stop ONE girl on a team... Kraft stopped Lafrance the other night... it can be done... I think people need to relax on the recruiting thing and look at the kids who are playing and playing well... they have lived in Mandan for years... Kraft, Kelsch, Hermanson, Kielpinski have been playing bb since the 3rd grade... together... that's what makes them good.

got brains?
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vikes_fan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:12 am

got brains? wrote:Face it they all recruit... and Ming said it best... Miller with BHS has been one of the biggest recruiters in Boys BB... Also, Mandan can and is winning with Mandan Kids... Kelsch, Kielpinski, Kraft, Collins, Strandemo, Gannon etc etc... are all Mandan Natives... AND... if you look at who is scoring... well, you all know... the only transfer from last year scoring is Finley... and if coaches were smart... they could stop ONE girl on a team... Kraft stopped Lafrance the other night... it can be done... I think people need to relax on the recruiting thing and look at the kids who are playing and playing well... they have lived in Mandan for years... Kraft, Kelsch, Hermanson, Kielpinski have been playing bb since the 3rd grade... together... that's what makes them good.

Agreed
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikes_fan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:13 am

And another thin i want to point out is that Amundson does start his girls young and getting them into his system. He has 2 eight-graders playing on the Junior Varisty team.
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby finfam06 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:18 am

People, Mandan did not recruit anyone on the current basketball team! As Marlee Finley's Uncle, I can speak on her behalf because of the relationship that I have with her Father. According to Marlee's parents, she transferred to Mandan for ACADEMIC REASONS! Both Marlee's parents have college degree's and understand the importance of an education and that is why Marlee Finley is at Mandan!

Marlee's mother is from Standing Rock and has many family members living in the Bismarck/Mandan Community and Marlee grew up in Bismarck. It just makes Marlee's parents laugh when they mentioned Marlee was recruited to Mandan by Greg Amundson. Marlee is currently an honor student and  by attending Mandan, she hopes to get a academic or athletic scholarship to pay for College. For you people that don't know it, College is expensive!!

GOOD LUCK TO MY NIECE MARLEE FINLEY AND TO THE MANDAN BRAVES GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM!

finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:07 am

finfam06 wrote:People, Mandan did not recruit anyone on the current basketball team! As Marlee Finley's Uncle, I can speak on her behalf because of the relationship that I have with her Father. According to Marlee's parents, she transferred to Mandan for ACADEMIC REASONS! Both Marlee's parents have college degree's and understand the importance of an education and that is why Marlee Finley is at Mandan!

Marlee's mother is from Standing Rock and has many family members living in the Bismarck/Mandan Community and Marlee grew up in Bismarck. It just makes Marlee's parents laugh when they mentioned Marlee was recruited to Mandan by Greg Amundson. Marlee is currently an honor student and  by attending Mandan, she hopes to get a academic or athletic scholarship to pay for College. For you people that don't know it, College is expensive!!

GOOD LUCK TO MY NIECE MARLEE FINLEY AND TO THE MANDAN BRAVES GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM!

MANDAN for ACADEMICS????  not exactly the school most people choose for academic  purposes.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:03 am

Baller wrote:
finfam06 wrote:People, Mandan did not recruit anyone on the current basketball team! As Marlee Finley's Uncle, I can speak on her behalf because of the relationship that I have with her Father. According to Marlee's parents, she transferred to Mandan for ACADEMIC REASONS! Both Marlee's parents have college degree's and understand the importance of an education and that is why Marlee Finley is at Mandan!

MANDAN for ACADEMICS????  not exactly the school most people choose for academic  purposes.

well i hope that is proof enuff for u and wut is the school people choose for academics???

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:39 am

I have always been a believer in the success of a program being the number one recruiter.  I think Coach Amundson built a wonderful program and that should speak for itself.  I personally know that Marlee is a wonderful student and she will do very well in a bigger school.  That will only help her in the long run.  Do I think Marlee moved to the Bismarck/Mandan area for basketball??  No!!!  Do I think she chose Mandan for strictly academics??  No!!  What player with her talent wouldn't want to play for Mandan and Coach Amundson if they were moving to the Bismarck/Mandan area??  I think that was a very good move for Marlee as she looks ahead to college life, both athletically and academically.  JUST MY :2cents:THOUGH!!! 
Last edited by WildWarrior on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby finfam06 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:25 am

Thanks for the nice comments! Marlee's father knows Amundson from the old days in New Town where Amundson led New Town to a 2nd place finish in the 1976 North Dakota State Class "B" Girl Basketball Tournament. Amundson used to be a teacher for Val FInley back in the day, so I would say Mandan had the upper hand when Marlee was looking for a school to attend.
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby finfam06 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am

Marlee's parents did not want her to attend Four Winds anymore due to academic reasons so they transferred her to Mandan.  She could have stayed there and played basketball but her parents did the right thing and transferred Marlee off that reservation. Too many Native American Athletes never make it to the College level to play basketball and the school's on many reservation never prepare them for life after high school. Sad but true.

My point here... is that attending high school off the reservation is a much better choice for some Native American Kids by giving them more opportunties to be successful. Its not all about basketball as some might want to think.
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Why did her little brother transfer to Parshall?
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby finfam06 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:15 pm

They moved from Four Winds where he was attending school and his father is working there in Parshall. He will be transferring to Bismarck/Mandan in the very near future according to his father for the same reason Marlee transferred. It wasn't clear where he would be going to school but he'll be in Bismarck/Mandan in another year or two.
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics