Talk About Something!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Talk About Something!

Postby HammerTime » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:03 am

This site doesn't seem to have any big topics or arguments going on right now. The only thing we have to discuss is how the stats of other teams look compared against other teams. That is not enough. I created this account so I could join in on these large conversations. So someone make a topic that we can have heated debate about.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 pm
Location: Towner, North Dakota

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby classB4ever » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 pm

1. Assuming that most people have seen the pictures of Adrian Peterson's son during his Dr.'s visit, should Adrian Peterson be allowed to play football again after admitting to "whooping" his son as punishment?
2. If you believe he will, do you believe he will play for the Vikings again?
classB4ever
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby HammerTime » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Not bad, but they have been talked to death on ESPN and other sports networks. Anything a little closer to home than Minneapolis?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 pm
Location: Towner, North Dakota

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Sniper » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:43 pm

classB4ever wrote:1. Assuming that most people have seen the pictures of Adrian Peterson's son during his Dr.'s visit, should Adrian Peterson be allowed to play football again after admitting to "whooping" his son as punishment?
2. If you believe he will, do you believe he will play for the Vikings again?


1. I think he will eventually be able to play in the league again. I think there should be some punishment but a lot of other players have continued to play in the NFL after doing worse things, which is sad.

2. I think it would benefit both the Vikings and Adrian if when he came back he continued playing as a Viking. Again I think there should be punishment, like consoling for an example, to help him.
Sniper
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 am
Location: Bismarck, ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby hockeynut » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm

The Bison streak comes to an end at 33. Time to start a new one.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby HammerTime » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:20 am

Oh, so true! I was so mad when I watched that game. I wanted the bison to smash Oklahoma's record for logest win streak. Well, hopefully, the bison finish out the year strong and get the No.1 or No. 2 seed.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:27 pm
Location: Towner, North Dakota

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 am

Going to be a long season for NDSU Men's BB.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13512
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:52 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Going to be a long season for NDSU Men's BB.



Most likely. It would be nice for the to find a groove and win some games.

I think Dave Richman will be a really good coach for them.
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby hockeynut » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Gas prices keep dropping and it's suppose to be in the forties next week. Gotta love it.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby radball » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:17 pm

did i just read someone compare Oklahoma's record for longest win streak, to NDSU in football? apple and oranges on regards to talent level. Does anybody honestly think ndsu could beat the Ducks, bama, FSU, baylor or OSU? Come on, give me a break, yes NDSU is good, but to put them in the same breath as a D1,A school sentence is a joke. Remember in order to for them to keep the streak going if they were in the same division as these schools, they would have to play in the championship for 3 years. Enough about the NDSU football program taking on the D1A teams, yea they beat 3 teams in that division, but look at those teams that year and what their record end up being. Enough said.
radball
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 pm

radball wrote:did i just read someone compare Oklahoma's record for longest win streak, to NDSU in football? apple and oranges on regards to talent level. Does anybody honestly think ndsu could beat the Ducks, bama, FSU, baylor or OSU? Come on, give me a break, yes NDSU is good, but to put them in the same breath as a D1,A school sentence is a joke. Remember in order to for them to keep the streak going if they were in the same division as these schools, they would have to play in the championship for 3 years. Enough about the NDSU football program taking on the D1A teams, yea they beat 3 teams in that division, but look at those teams that year and what their record end up being. Enough said.

D1 football schedules are in the works years before the games are played so schools like NDSU do not have the luxury of choosing schools who are having "down" seasons simply to claim to win over big programs. Kansas St. the season before they lost to NDSU were ranked pretty high at one point in their season. Most big programs can't afford to give up a weekend to play a team like NDSU because of media commitments, but NDSU fans have no reason to think they can't compete with the top programs.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:00 pm

The days of playing big time division I program is coming to end. Those teams that have been playing teams like NDSU are not going to the future. They are penalized for playing NDSU in bowl selection and there nothing to be gained for them anymore. It used to good to give them so many wins so they were bowl eligible but now they are minus for them in bowl selection. It appears there is going to be like elite division of Football teams from Big 10, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12. and division of division I that will be in between the division that NDSU and UND are in. I wonder how long before there will be separate division also in basketball and some of other sports because these elite schools will want to set up television contract to sell elite division of schools playing these sports.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Indy5 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:51 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The days of playing big time division I program is coming to end. Those teams that have been playing teams like NDSU are not going to the future. They are penalized for playing NDSU in bowl selection and there nothing to be gained for them anymore. It used to good to give them so many wins so they were bowl eligible but now they are minus for them in bowl selection. It appears there is going to be like elite division of Football teams from Big 10, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12. and division of division I that will be in between the division that NDSU and UND are in. I wonder how long before there will be separate division also in basketball and some of other sports because these elite schools will want to set up television contract to sell elite division of schools playing these sports.

I'm gonna disagree. The very elite schools will probably have a little tougher schedules now to impress the committee, although I still think you see "cupcake Saturday" in the SEC right before "rivalry week".

Now, why I disagree. Let's look at K state. They happened to be ranked the year before they played NDSU because of Colin Klein's emergence. However, like someone earlier said, games are scheduled many years in advance. When the game was scheduled was when K State was in their rebuilding phase. In that phase, Dan Snyder's plan was always to schedule weak out of conference so the team could be bowl eligible. It's a great plan when you know you're sub par because making a bowl game is such an advantage for your program in the long run. These average teams will always keep scheduling FCS schools because they want wins to make a bowl game, and the playoff isn't eliminating the bowls.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:53 am

Indy5 wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:The days of playing big time division I program is coming to end. Those teams that have been playing teams like NDSU are not going to the future. They are penalized for playing NDSU in bowl selection and there nothing to be gained for them anymore. It used to good to give them so many wins so they were bowl eligible but now they are minus for them in bowl selection. It appears there is going to be like elite division of Football teams from Big 10, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12. and division of division I that will be in between the division that NDSU and UND are in. I wonder how long before there will be separate division also in basketball and some of other sports because these elite schools will want to set up television contract to sell elite division of schools playing these sports.

I'm gonna disagree. The very elite schools will probably have a little tougher schedules now to impress the committee, although I still think you see "cupcake Saturday" in the SEC right before "rivalry week".

Now, why I disagree. Let's look at K state. They happened to be ranked the year before they played NDSU because of Colin Klein's emergence. However, like someone earlier said, games are scheduled many years in advance. When the game was scheduled was when K State was in their rebuilding phase. In that phase, Dan Snyder's plan was always to schedule weak out of conference so the team could be bowl eligible. It's a great plan when you know you're sub par because making a bowl game is such an advantage for your program in the long run. These average teams will always keep scheduling FCS schools because they want wins to make a bowl game, and the playoff isn't eliminating the bowls.

I agree that FCS programs will continue to be pursued. The D1 programs know that it is all about recruiting, and with the playoff for the top 4 seeds, the smaller programs like Boise St., Wyoming, etc. will make a big push for bowl games and any high exposure games they can schedule and win. When your recruiting areas are in the upper plains, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, etc. are great scheduling options. As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby hockeynut » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Wishing my nephew Carson Wentz and the Bison the best of luck in Frisco on Jan 10. 4-peat would be a first for any school.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm

scoobyx2 wrote: As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.

Then schedule one instead of picking off the bottom half of the power conferences.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote: As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.

Then schedule one instead of picking off the bottom half of the power conferences.


Unfortunately, the Bison have dug their own graves with this. After knocking off so many DI teams, any team with even a remote shot of a title or top bowl bid is not going to schedule them and risk having a loss to a lower caliber team on their resume. Whether the Bison would actually have a shot in a game doesn't matter and can be debated at length, the big teams aren't going to do it. They are going to be left playing against mid major conferences from now on and it goes to show with no DI team on the schedule at the moment past 2016.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:49 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote: As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.

Then schedule one instead of picking off the bottom half of the power conferences.


Unfortunately, the Bison have dug their own graves with this. After knocking off so many DI teams, any team with even a remote shot of a title or top bowl bid is not going to schedule them and risk having a loss to a lower caliber team on their resume. Whether the Bison would actually have a shot in a game doesn't matter and can be debated at length, the big teams aren't going to do it. They are going to be left playing against mid major conferences from now on and it goes to show with no DI team on the schedule at the moment past 2016.

Adding UND takes away some scheduling flexibility. I agree that it isn't in the best interest of top programs to go up against teams that may beat them, but they will if they are losing recruits to that team. Alabama, Florida St., Texas, etc. are not losing recruits to the Bison, but Minnesota, Kansas St., and Iowa St. are.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote: As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.

Then schedule one instead of picking off the bottom half of the power conferences.


Unfortunately, the Bison have dug their own graves with this. After knocking off so many DI teams, any team with even a remote shot of a title or top bowl bid is not going to schedule them and risk having a loss to a lower caliber team on their resume. Whether the Bison would actually have a shot in a game doesn't matter and can be debated at length, the big teams aren't going to do it. They are going to be left playing against mid major conferences from now on and it goes to show with no DI team on the schedule at the moment past 2016.

I don't disagree with you, but why haven't they ever played them? USD played Oregon and SDSU played Missouri this year. In years past, Georgia Southern has played Alabama. I just think NDSU always looks for games they have a good chance of winning, which I guess its a good idea for them.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Indy5 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote: As for whether or not NDSU can compete with the big programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., there is no reason to think they can't until they are beat by them.

Then schedule one instead of picking off the bottom half of the power conferences.


Unfortunately, the Bison have dug their own graves with this. After knocking off so many DI teams, any team with even a remote shot of a title or top bowl bid is not going to schedule them and risk having a loss to a lower caliber team on their resume. Whether the Bison would actually have a shot in a game doesn't matter and can be debated at length, the big teams aren't going to do it. They are going to be left playing against mid major conferences from now on and it goes to show with no DI team on the schedule at the moment past 2016.

I don't disagree with you, but why haven't they ever played them? USD played Oregon and SDSU played Missouri this year. In years past, Georgia Southern has played Alabama. I just think NDSU always looks for games they have a good chance of winning, which I guess its a good idea for them.


I don't know if they have ever even been contacted by the larger Power 5 schools. Most of the time those schools in the Power 5 are looking to increase their recruiting base in certain areas by playing those teams. Let's face it, I don't think any schools are trying to break in to the ND recruiting area. At least with USD and SDSU you're breaking into that Sioux Falls, Sioux City, northern Nebraska, southern MN areas.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby hockeynut » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 pm

The drive for five is alive. One for the thumb. Nephew named MVP. He could very well have a chance at the next level after next year.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 am

hockeynut wrote:The drive for five is alive. One for the thumb. Nephew named MVP. He could very well have a chance at the next level after next year.


I think next year that offense is going to be ridiculously good. Wentz, Frazier, Urzendowski, Vraa, two TEs, and almost the whole line back. Wentz should put up some crazy numbers and get a good look at the next level.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
hockeynut wrote:The drive for five is alive. One for the thumb. Nephew named MVP. He could very well have a chance at the next level after next year.


I think next year that offense is going to be ridiculously good. Wentz, Frazier, Urzendowski, Vraa, two TEs, and almost the whole line back. Wentz should put up some crazy numbers and get a good look at the next level.

I agree the offense will be good and Wentz should have a huge year. From what I've heard the team is big on Frazier. Maybe I missed something but he looked very ordinary when I watched him against Coastal. What is it that makes him impressive? Honest question
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Talk About Something!

Postby hockeynut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
hockeynut wrote:The drive for five is alive. One for the thumb. Nephew named MVP. He could very well have a chance at the next level after next year.


I think next year that offense is going to be ridiculously good. Wentz, Frazier, Urzendowski, Vraa, two TEs, and almost the whole line back. Wentz should put up some crazy numbers and get a good look at the next level.

Wentz is the #9 rated QB for the 2016 draft according to CBS Sports. Pretty impressive and I think he will be higher by the end of next year.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am


Return to Hot Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests