Weather

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Weather

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 pm

"Its amazing there weren't more issues at the XC meets this weekend with the weather. Props to athletes/coaches for being prepared!!"

You hear about issues down south at least 2 or 3 times a season about a heat-related issue and they deal with the heat/humidity on a regular basis. I think this needs to be pointed out while we are dealing with our extremely rare heat wave here in late August (and it will continue into September).

I haven't heard of any major issues across the state in ALL sports; this is an AMAZING thing to hear. It shows that the athletes and coaches understand the issues at hand and are keeping themselves hydrated during this rough time!

Keep it up!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Weather

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am

Great topic for the "Hot Topics" section! I agree with you Run, I think the majority of today's coaches are a lot more educated on the dangers of dehydration and heat stroke than back when I played. I remember FB coaches denying us water in order to "toughen" us up and make "men" of us. Hopefully the state makes it through this heat wave without any tragedies in any of our sports programs.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:19 pm

I wasn't at the meet in Hillsboro but I heard from a Dad that there were some runners losing their lunch at the end and some needed IVs to re-hydrate. But I did not hear of anything more serious than that.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Hinsa wrote:I wasn't at the meet in Hillsboro but I heard from a Dad that there were some runners losing their lunch at the end and some needed IVs to re-hydrate. But I did not hear of anything more serious than that.

yep...and 'losing their lunch' isn't to uncommon at XC meets. I expected their to be some issues at all the meets but from what I heard from Hillsboro (& saw in Jamestown) were just some basic issues. For the extreme conditions it was impressive to hear of very few issues. The only thing that shocked me was that Jamestown didn't have an emergency vehicle on-site.

Now...Thursday will be a 'test' as most meets will occur during the heating of the day...football & soccer games will be played later in the day (but don't get me wrong the heat will still be an issue).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Hot Topics