Officiating

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Officiating

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 pm

I turned down another wrestling refereeing assignment today.

No way I return.

After logging 8 years and over 1600 miles this year alone, the coaches in Region II voted in two rookie officials for the regional tournament this season.

I worked with a lot of people with more experience and more knowledge of the rules, and they were passed over by coaches that simply wanted teachers and others in education in the post season.

It's pathetic what they did. At least one of those selected did not have a basic knowledge of the simplest rules and started that he wasn't comfortable working as an R1, yet got a contract.

Not about me, I had other duties the days of the regionals. But it's really pretty shocking to see the level of Good Ole Bois club on full display.

This state has a big problem with the kind of favoritism down in officiating assignments. It needs to end.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Officiating

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 pm

heimer wrote:I turned down another wrestling refereeing assignment today.

No way I return.

After logging 8 years and over 1600 miles this year alone, the coaches in Region II voted in two rookie officials for the regional tournament this season.

I worked with a lot of people with more experience and more knowledge of the rules, and they were passed over by coaches that simply wanted teachers and others in education in the post season.

It's pathetic what they did. At least one of those selected did not have a basic knowledge of the simplest rules and started that he wasn't comfortable working as an R1, yet got a contract.

Not about me, I had other duties the days of the regionals. But it's really pretty shocking to see the level of Good Ole Bois club on full display.

This state has a big problem with the kind of favoritism down in officiating assignments. It needs to end.

You do know the coach have absolutely no say in who is elected as an official right ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 pm

According to the NDHSAA, they do.

If they don't, let them speak it publicly.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:11 pm

heimer wrote:According to the NDHSAA, they do.

If they don't, let them speak it publicly.

They don’t
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 am

Coaches do get to "vote" for officials. I'm with packers21 and feel that it has zero influence on who is selected.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Let them speak it publicly.

You can cover for the status quo, and support the current system. You can change the system.

You can't do both.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:23 pm

heimer wrote:Let them speak it publicly.

You can cover for the status quo, and support the current system. You can change the system.

You can't do both.

Really seems like you are the only one complaining.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 pm

The others quit. They don't complain.

I know who they are. The amount of attrition in my region this year is being described as "historic".

Good luck with your Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon games. Personally, I hope a number of faces get cancelled.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:54 pm

As a "retired" basketball coach, I will guarantee that there are a lot of "politics" involved in basketball as far as officials getting to ref District Tournaments, Regional Tournaments and State Tournaments. Between the NDHSAA and the Officials Associations in the large cities it is extremely difficult for younger officials or even some veteran officials to get selected no matter how the coaches vote.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:10 pm

heimer wrote:The others quit. They don't complain.

I know who they are. The amount of attrition in my region this year is being described as "historic".

Good luck with your Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon games. Personally, I hope a number of faces get cancelled.

I hope you’re games get cancelled says the guy who announces HS sporting events. Coaches and especially players have ZERO to do with officials but you do you bud.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 pm

According to the NDHSAA, they did, and do.

Protect the status quo, you do you bud.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:39 pm

And, if you protect the status quo, I absolutely hope your have get cancelled for lack of officials. It will be the only thing teaching you anything.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:56 pm

heimer wrote:And, if you protect the status quo, I absolutely hope your have get cancelled for lack of officials. It will be the only thing teaching you anything.

You are so far off the mark here it’s crazy
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Hot Topics