Where's the outrage?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Where's the outrage?

Postby vikingman » Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 pm

When it looked like the 2020-21 sports seasons might be cancelled, there was quite the outcry and protestations. Not just on this forum, but on Twitter, and with stories in the press. Parents in MN considered going to court so their kids could play without masks, etc. The crux of the message was that students needed an outlet for their athletic talents, and they were unfairly being denied that opportunity.

But when the NDHSAA cancelled the State Music Competition, I saw nothing about it. I wouldn't expect to see anything in this forum about it, but I was totally unaware of the situation until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to look at the state music schedule (I'm not involved with any school on a day-to-day basis. If I had been, I'm sure I would have heard about it sooner).

So, don't music students have as much right to engage in a state competition as athletes? The only competitions that were cancelled for TWO years were the Fine Arts. Does anyone know the reason given for cancelling? Why was it ok for huge crowds to congregate for basketball, wrestling and football championships, but the much smaller crowds for a music contest were considered too risky? (total participants would have been much higher for music, but the number of people watching individual performances would have been quite small.) They could have allowed only the performers and judges to be present in the room--at least they would have had their chance at getting their star ratings.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hot Topics