Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the eastern side of the state coaching scene. Hopefully they find someone who understands the area.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Mayville State's Director of Student Involvement throws his hat in the ring. Kyle Myers is a former assistant at UND, Mary and Northland.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm not criticizing, but how does a small school hire an AD from Virginia?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 pm

The search committee put a special emphasis on fundraising and that ended up playing a huge factor hiring their current AD. In fact, they re-started the process after going through the process. An inside candidate, an alumni with ties to the community was among the original finalists. But, the committee didn't feel any of the candidates had the necessary background in fundraising and they re-opened the position with more of an emphasis on that skill. I have heard good things about the current AD. Sounds like he has brought a lot of energy and a strong work ethic to the position so far. Time will tell.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:47 pm

So finalists are set. Nate Gill, former MSU DC; Jeff Larson, DC at DII Chadron State (NE); and Bill Nickell, OC at DII Lock Haven University (PA).
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Cant believe 3 ppl even want this job
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Jeff Larson has been hired as the head coach of the MSU football program. On paper, this is the best hire at MSU in many years. He has extensive experience as a coordinator at successful college programs. I also like that he is from the region (South Dakota) and knows exactly what he is getting as a former coach in the DAC conference. There is no doubt that building a successful program with a full conference schedule will be a challenge. But, I think this hire is a step in the right direction.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Big Blue wrote:Jeff Larson has been hired as the head coach of the MSU football program. On paper, this is the best hire at MSU in many years. He has extensive experience as a coordinator at successful college programs. I also like that he is from the region (South Dakota) and knows exactly what he is getting as a former coach in the DAC conference. There is no doubt that building a successful program with a full conference schedule will be a challenge. But, I think this hire is a step in the right direction.

Problem is, I feel in another two years Mayville will again be going through this same process. Just can't seem to find anyone that will stick and I think a lot of it has to do with the support from the higher ups.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm

scc wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Jeff Larson has been hired as the head coach of the MSU football program. On paper, this is the best hire at MSU in many years. He has extensive experience as a coordinator at successful college programs. I also like that he is from the region (South Dakota) and knows exactly what he is getting as a former coach in the DAC conference. There is no doubt that building a successful program with a full conference schedule will be a challenge. But, I think this hire is a step in the right direction.

Problem is, I feel in another two years Mayville will again be going through this same process. Just can't seem to find anyone that will stick and I think a lot of it has to do with the support from the higher ups.

I think the issue has more to do with money than support, unless you are equating the two.

Yes, that's what I meant. Providing the financial support to run a competitive program. It seems the last couple coaches eventually had enough and left pretty abruptly.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm

So how about the latest hire at Mayville State? 3 Coaches in 4 years? Yikes. Maybe the school should look higher up in the leadership. If anybody watched the online interviews, I would be interested to hear what the thoughts are.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:39 am

cmplx6 wrote:So how about the latest hire at Mayville State? 3 Coaches in 4 years? Yikes. Maybe the school should look higher up in the leadership. If anybody watched the online interviews, I would be interested to hear what the thoughts are.

How many has the new AD hired?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges