NDSU football

No smack talk is allowed here.

NDSU football

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 pm

What kind of team do they have coming back this year? I knew they were playing KU to open the season but it kinda snuck up on me when i looked at Kansas' schedule. Can they win this game?

Kansas lost alot offensively between Reesing, Meier, Briscoe, and Sharp. Plus a few important people on defense in Quigley and Greene, who was expected to step in and be a player this year, being kicked off the team. And of course, Mangino being shown the door. Althought I think Gill is an upgrade in terms of football mind, its still his first game with a new team.

Interested to see how this game turns out...anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the Bison this year?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re: NDSU football

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 am

as far as their schedule and how they will fair, I have not looked real close....talking with people with ties to the team they are saying they should be respectable.

It was nice to hear that Matt Anderson (cavalier grad) will be starting at Linebacker, after being pretty much written off with a neck injury 14 months ago....hurt it playing special teams....he will no longer play special teams but is ready to go at linebacker....Good News!!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 am

They have three guaranteed wins on the schedule which would be Morgan State, South Dakota, and Indiana State.

They have four games in my opinion that could go either way and thats with Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Illinois State, and Missouri State.

Then the four teams I think they will have a tough time beating this season. Kansas, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and South Dakota State.

I think they could go anywhere from 7-4 to 4-7 depending on how healthy they can stay and how good or bad some of these teams in the middle of the pack are.

I hope Matt can also stay healthy and plays well, because thats one position that after the starting three they are very young and inexperienced at.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:52 pm

ndfan wrote:They have three guaranteed wins on the schedule which would be Morgan State, South Dakota, and Indiana State.

They have four games in my opinion that could go either way and thats with Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Illinois State, and Missouri State.

Then the four teams I think they will have a tough time beating this season. Kansas, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and South Dakota State.

I think they could go anywhere from 7-4 to 4-7 depending on how healthy they can stay and how good or bad some of these teams in the middle of the pack are.

I hope Matt can also stay healthy and plays well, because thats one position that after the starting three they are very young and inexperienced at.

I don't think South Dakota is a guaranteed win
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndfan wrote:They have three guaranteed wins on the schedule which would be Morgan State, South Dakota, and Indiana State.

I don't think South Dakota is a guaranteed win

If they don't beat South Dakota by atleast 3 touchdowns this year its gonna be a long season for the bison.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 am

Look for NDSU to be improved this season. The schedule is still very tough but also manageable. They return 15 starters from last season. The QB position looks to be much improved with Jose Mohler the likely starter. He came in for Nick Mertens last year and did a fair job. Mohler will be pushed by RSFr. Brock Jensen, whom many say will end up being the starter for the Bison by the end of the season. Jensen IMO will be the next great Bison QB. He has the tangibles of a true QB and throws a great ball.

I could potentially see them finishing at 9-2 if everything goes very well and they do well on the road. The road will determine if they're a playoff team or not. I honestly would not be surprised to see them at 7-4 or better. They start off the season @ Kansas and @ UNI. If they can somehow pullout a win here it could go a long ways. I really see them taking down SDSU at home this season too. UNI will be very winnable as they lost quite a few starters and will be a young team.

@ Kansas- L
@ UNI- W
Morgan St.- W
USD- W
WIU- W
@ YSU- L
@ ISU Red- L
ISU blue- W
SIU- L
SDSU- W
@ MSU- W
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 am

I would say WIU is a guranteed win since it's a home. They were god awful last season.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Ming01 wrote:

I would say WIU is a guranteed win since it's a home. They were god awful last season.

I believe they only beat WIU 14-7 last year so I still think it could go either way. Yes its a home game but what kind of attendance will be bison have this year after going 3-7 and the only win last year at home was against Wagner?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:02 pm

3 wins hurt attendance... but NDSU is approaching 9000 season tickets sold already plus the 4000 or so they reserve for students - so the Bison are 2/3 to sold out already. 8 wins and that season ticket count would probably be over 10000. There's stil hope for selling more season tickets since the first two games are on the road - if NDSU pulls an upset at Kansas, that will sell some more season tickets.

Current season ticket count: http://www.10000bisonstrong.com/
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Got this on my facebook news feed:
‎2009 Minnesota Mr. Football Zach Vraa of Rosemount, now a freshman wide receiver at North Dakota State, is out for the season with a broken collarbone.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 pm

NDSU over Kansas 6-3!!!!!
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Perhaps they solved their defensive problems?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3nout » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Nice way to start the season for the Bison
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Nice to see the Bison start 3-1. Brock Jensen has really stepped up and played well. Too bad for Jose tho. How do you think the rest of the season will go for NDSU? Records of 8-3 or 7-4 are very probable.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

tough game this week against W. Illinois...any thoughts?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 am

I never like to see anybody get hurt, but Jose getting hurt was probably the best thing that happened to NDSU this year. With Brock they have a legit shot to win 8+ games this year, if it was Mohler starting I'd say they would probably win 4 or 5 games this year. just my opinion
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Sitting at 6-3 with two games left against SDSU and @ Missouri State. Bison making a push for the playoffs. Should be a good game this weekend against SDSU, either team could win. NDSU should beat Missouri State in the final week of the season. Is 7-4 going to get the Bison a playoff game or are they going to have to win out and go 8-3?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:56 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Do you think it is almost a guarantee if they win out they're in the playoffs?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Flip wrote:I was wondering the same thing. Do you think it is almost a guarantee if they win out they're in the playoffs?

Guaranteed playoffs if they win the next two, 50/50 if they go 1-1, and Zero chance if they go 0-2. Just my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 pm

They mentioned during today's game that they are in a good geographic area to recruit good defensive linemen, so do you think this might be a poor spot to recruit good position players?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 am

I guess in the past 25 seasons there have been 48 MV teams with 8 or more victories and all but 5 have made the playoffs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:03 am

Tough loss today to Missouri State. Finish regular season 7 and 4. What are the chances of playoffs?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 am

slim to none
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndfan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:41 am

NDSU makes playoffs they will play Robert Morris next Saturday at the Fargo Dome. I find it funny how a team that was on the bubble gets a first round home game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 am

It is all about a bidding process in the FCS. Their bid was high enough to get a home game I guess. The MVFC got three teams in also which I found kind of surprising. I looked at Robert Morris's schedule a little bit, and it looks like they play in a week conference. The Fargodome will also be a different type of venue for them also. The biggest crowd that was at one of their games was 3,378 people.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges