Minot State Signees

No smack talk is allowed here.

Minot State Signees

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am

I just heard Christine Miller and Paige Anderson signed letters of intent to continue their basketball careers at Minot State University. Both are averaging in the double-figures, do you think they will both help out the Lady Beavers?
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Minot State Signees

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am

Anderson yes. Miller no.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Explain your answer :D
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 am

eastwood99 wrote:Explain your answer :D

Just my opinions here. I feel that Anderson will be able to get her shot off on her own and can handle the defensive pressure at the next level. Miller I think is slow afoot and will not handle the physical nature of the DAC and down the road the NSIC. I also believe they have very different work ethics.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm

eye in the sky is right on. Been following these young ladies as well as some of the others since I am big JUCO follower here in ND.

That said, I want to wish these ladies the best of luck in their careers. It has been fun watching them this year as they have now knocked off NDSCS and LRSC so they are #1 in the region right now.

Speaking of Minot State Signees.....where's our Mr. Basketball? Malzer who was supposed to be the best player in the state is riding pine. While I believe he is a good player, IMHO the best player to come out of ND high schools last year is Gus Kieber over at LRSC. Wife and I watched a few games over in DL right after Christmas and he put a display on that Malzer couldn't touch. Especially against NDSCS.

But alas, our boys up at WSC have played very well. Luke Martinez is so much fun to watch.

Think we are heading to Bismarck Sunday to watch LRSC play United Tribes. Local girl Nicole Wells transferred from LRSC over to United Tribes, as well as the coach's daughter from WSC so this will be an interesting match-up Sunday afternoon.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 pm

How can you take anything away from Malzer. He plays behind Mister Carney, who is a potential all-american, leading the country in steals, and Jason West, who started at Divison II University Of Mary as a sophomore.

I have no idea what Gus is putting up, but you can't compare a player dominating Junior College to a player redshirting at a 4 year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 am

I do believe you can compare. Kieber will get 30 games of Division I experience under his belt by March of 2010 while Malzer will have little to no experience even at the D II level.

Most dont realize the level these D1 JUCO's play at. Take NDSCS last year. The only team in the state that would have beat them would have been NDSU with Ben Woodside. They would have rocked Minot State, U of Mary, etc..

2 yrs ago LRSC beat UND at the Betty. They did it again earlier this fall (what I heard, didn't get to make that game). Sure UND isn't that great this year, but Kieber had 6 treys on the night (looking back at my brother's email as he has season tickets).

Of course Malzer isn't going to play. He won't play before the Packineau's either. I called this way back in Feb/March of 09 that Malzer wouldn't see court time.

Sorry but "practicing" with Minot State players versus playing D1 JUCO? I will take the D1 JUCO everytime.

I have also heard rumors that Malzer isn't happy and has openly said he wished he would have chosen WSC. but that is a rumor so who knows if it is true or not.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

Don't be so hard on Malzer. He was a great HIGH SCHOOL player, very deserving of Mr. Basketball. Sometimes high school dominance doesn't translate to the college game.

Malzer had enough size to do what he wanted against most high school athletes in North Dakota. But now he's stepped up a level where the defense is bigger and faster. What was easy in high school is suddenly a lot tougher. Malzer will figure out how to adapt his game to the college level. It will just take some time.

Kueber also could do what he wanted against most ND high school athletes. It's just that he has the size that allows him to adapt to college a lot quicker. And Gus was in a different situation than Malzer. He affected games just by being on the court - drawing tons of defensive attention which freed up his teammates to score. That worked best for DP. For TLM, it worked best for Malzer to score more, which translates to more attention, which translates to awards like Mr. Basketball.

So, they were both great high school players. Gus' size translates better to the college game, therefore he has the better success right now at the college level.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

How can you compare? Kueber is playing and Malzer is not, I don't see which part of this makes Kueber the most impressive player in the 09 class, as the other one is redshirting, and can't really impress people.

When Lake Region beat UND, didn't they have Mertens and Moody? Also, beating UND is impressive, but not exactly surprising...Mayville State just did it.

Malzer is redshirting, which is why he doesn't play. He had the oppurtunity to pull his redshirt, but declined, and next year, he will get about 20 minutes a night. He won't play before the Packineaus, because they play a different position, he will play alongside them.

On practicing with Minot or playing D1 JuCo, it is a tough decision. Lake Region offered me and I went to Minot, and I do regret that decision, but practicing against all the kids from the big cities made me a much better player.

I wouldn't say Malzer seemed unhappy, but I heard the Williston State thing and the story you gave is not completely accurate, but has some truth to it.

I guess I don't see that Kueber has had more success, just because he is playing well, as Cam can't have that success because he is redshirting. Is Thilmony doing better in college because he is playing at a JuCo and doing well, while Malzer is redshirting?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 am

Everybody here has good points regarding the players discussed. Malzer is still to early to tell. Things came easy for him in high school. Don't get me wrong, I hear that he was a gym rat at TLM. College can be a grind...especially when you are not playing (redshirt). The season is long, and a 18 year old vs 23 year old is a battle the younger men will typically lose.

Cam, if he can get through the mental part of the transition to the college game, will do just fine. He did prove with the ECI team that he can do just fine against very good players from around the country.

I hope he just stays strong and works hard. His time will come....
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

I think Miller will do alright because she is an aggressive player it's just that her footwork is not as good as it was in high school because she tore her ACL after the state tournament.But I think she will do well because Anderson is one of her good friends and from what I here Anderson helped her get back into the game by pushing her. Miller proved me wrong at WSC already,I thought she would not do well at the next level inspite of injury but as a freshmen she averaged 10ppg and she is currently averaging 18 ppg I believe.
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ballernation » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 am

makotifarmguy, u are rite on about top jucos... wahp last year and wsc this year could beat pretyy much beat any team in state outside ndsu... but cams a great player, and i wish he coulda went to wsc, then he would be a backup pg, on one of the top jucos in nation this year, and then you would have nothing bad to say about him
ballernation
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Looks like the slow footed Miller girl scored 24 points against the number 1 team in the nation at Nationals! Also, the internet announcers said Miller deserved to be an All-American! Awesome job Christine and congratulations to the Williston Tetons for making it to Nationals!
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller21 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey I heard that the coaching staff came and said that they had to sign that day... So I think if they had more time they would of picked somewhere else to play.
baller21
NDPreps Rookie

Postby eyeinthesky » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:04 am

eastwood99 wrote:Looks like the slow footed Miller girl scored 24 points against the number 1 team in the nation at Nationals! Also, the internet announcers said Miller deserved to be an All-American! Awesome job Christine and congratulations to the Williston Tetons for making it to Nationals!

Looks like the "slow footed" Miller girl quit the Minot State basketball team just a couple of games into the season. I can't say that I am overly surprised.

Anderson is not on the roster due to a mysterious illness. Hopefully she can get healthy enough to get back to playing basketball next season. She will be missed this season!
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Why do you say that?
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eastwood99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 pm

I also been looking at a few of your other posts from over a while ago, do you have something against her? Not starting anything, just wondering.
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 pm

I just felt she was over rated and never worked very hard.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby forthree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 am

Whats the deal with Malzer,Randall and Yale at Minot State. Never see their names in the scoring summaries.
forthree
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am

forthree wrote:Whats the deal with Malzer,Randall and Yale at Minot State. Never see their names in the scoring summaries.

I have been told that Yale/Randall are being redshirted. As for Malzer, he is getting some minutes, but not very many. I would guess that being he redhirted last year he is still giving up playing time to some of the upperclassmen. Hopefully these 3 ND kids will get their chance to shine in the next couple of years.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby digger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
forthree wrote:Whats the deal with Malzer,Randall and Yale at Minot State. Never see their names in the scoring summaries.

I have been told that Yale/Randall are being redshirted. As for Malzer, he is getting some minutes, but not very many. I would guess that being he redhirted last year he is still giving up playing time to some of the upperclassmen. Hopefully these 3 ND kids will get their chance to shine in the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how Stewart at Minot and Herbst at Mary build their programs to compete in the NSIC, (Herbst has already been doing a good job) in my opinion the toughest D-II league in the country. Winona, Mankato State, St. Cloud and Augie are very good. They recruit much like mid major D-I programs, go after many of the same guys. We'll see where Northern State goes after Meyer's retirement, Duluth is better, Concordia-St. Paul, Wayne State, even Moorhead State. I"m a North Dakota guy, but I don't know that there will be much room on the roster for ND players.

Here's an example: I was in Sioux Falls and attended the St. Cloud State-Augustana game a few days ago. Great basketball game, high end athletes, skilled players, really good coaching. Cody Schilling for Augie is a bigger, more athletic, faster, version of Joe Hanstad. Same for Taylor Witt of St. Cloud (I know they are older, I've seen them both play a number of times over the years. Joe has time to grow physically, this is no knock on Joe.) Cam McCaffrey for Augie (from Oregon) is better than any point guard I've seen in ND in years. We don't have any big guys in the state currently that could go in and compete at that level. My point is that they recruit guys like Joe Hanstad, sometimes they get them, sometimes they don't, but we just don't produce many players like Joe Hanstad. Nate Wolters (6'3 guard) is lighting it up for SDSU, one of the best players in the Summitt league, and he was considering offers from the NSIC powers.

Like I said it will be interesting to see how Minot State and Mary move forward in the world of D-II.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Outside (ND) recuiting
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm

digger wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

It will be interesting to see how Stewart at Minot and Herbst at Mary build their programs to compete in the NSIC, (Herbst has already been doing a good job) in my opinion the toughest D-II league in the country. Winona, Mankato State, St. Cloud and Augie are very good. They recruit much like mid major D-I programs, go after many of the same guys. We'll see where Northern State goes after Meyer's retirement, Duluth is better, Concordia-St. Paul, Wayne State, even Moorhead State. I"m a North Dakota guy, but I don't know that there will be much room on the roster for ND players.

Here's an example: I was in Sioux Falls and attended the St. Cloud State-Augustana game a few days ago. Great basketball game, high end athletes, skilled players, really good coaching. Cody Schilling for Augie is a bigger, more athletic, faster, version of Joe Hanstad. Same for Taylor Witt of St. Cloud (I know they are older, I've seen them both play a number of times over the years. Joe has time to grow physically, this is no knock on Joe.) Cam McCaffrey for Augie (from Oregon) is better than any point guard I've seen in ND in years. We don't have any big guys in the state currently that could go in and compete at that level. My point is that they recruit guys like Joe Hanstad, sometimes they get them, sometimes they don't, but we just don't produce many players like Joe Hanstad. Nate Wolters (6'3 guard) is lighting it up for SDSU, one of the best players in the Summitt league, and he was considering offers from the NSIC powers.

Like I said it will be interesting to see how Minot State and Mary move forward in the world of D-II.

Digger is dead on with what he said. UMary and Minot St will only have a handful of ND players on their rosters down the road.

As to the three kids mentioned on the Minot St roster, I would say that only one of the three will ever get much time for the Beavers and that would be Randall. The other two are good players but can not compete/win at the level that is played in the NSIC.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 pm

I have been following numerous ND AAU/ECI teams over the years. The strange thing is when our ND athletes travel out of state and play other teams, they more then hold their own. It seems as a team, the hard nosed, hard work ethic style of play will allow them to compete with anyone. But when you try to insert them individually with a different style of play (college level), as you stated, they are not at the same level.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 pm

classB4ever wrote:I have been following numerous ND AAU/ECI teams over the years. The strange thing is when our ND athletes travel out of state and play other teams, they more then hold their own. It seems as a team, the hard nosed, hard work ethic style of play will allow them to compete with anyone. But when you try to insert them individually with a different style of play (college level), as you stated, they are not at the same level.

I have had the exact same thoughts.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges