Bison vs. Gophers Football

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby tcbison » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:44 am

Don't underestimate a team from the great state of North Dakota. It is a win-win situation for NDSU. They get $300,000 to play the game and a lot of attention in their main recruiting area. If they play tough or get the win that is just gravy.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:50 am

Batman wrote:One thing to watch for is the play of the offensive and defensive lines.  Lots of young talent on the O line, hopefully they can come together as a unit.  The defensive line is the big question mark of the team.  Hopefully the new transfers can play to their potential and free up their talented lb's to make some plays.  If they can't it'll be a long season.

So far both the lines have been playing well. NDSU just needs to play better in the secondary. Ball State announcers said that the front 7 of NDSU was the best they have seen so far this year.

Unfortunately, NDSU has had a lot of running backs out for the year.  
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Looks like NDSU has a good chance of going into the Minnesota game undefeated. So does anyone think the Bison can come out of this game undefeated? I don't think anybody expected them to be undefeated going into this game, and nobody expected them to have shot against the goofers. Any thoughts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndplayer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:54 pm

sorry bison fans, but there is pretty much no chance of your boys beating the gophers.  Not only is the talent much better and the players much bigger, but it's in the metrodome with probably the biggest crowd theyve ever played in front of.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Batman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:48 pm

NDSU will be 6-0, and the Gophers will be 2-5, I think that there will at least as many, if not more Bison fans than Gopher fans at that game.

I'd have to favor the Gophers by about 14 points, but this will be the biggest game of the year for the Bison, and I doubt any of the Gopher players are going to be excited about playing a lower level team at this point in the season.  Bison have the emotional edge, Gophers the physical.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:05 am

ndplayer wrote:sorry bison fans, but there is pretty much no chance of your boys beating the gophers.  Not only is the talent much better and the players much bigger, but it's in the metrodome with probably the biggest crowd theyve ever played in front of.

If the Gophers are 2-5 going into the NDSU game, a lot of Gopher fans will stay home. They are pretty fair weather fans. However, NDSU will be bringing a lot of fans to the game.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndplayer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:11 pm

this is college football, the fans dont stay home.  Most the people at the games have season tickets, they are going to get their money out of those tickets.  There is no possible way that there will be more bison fans at the gophers home football game.  Minnesota is one of the top 5 largest schools in the nation, they will definately have the numbers.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Notorious » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:04 am

Have you ever been to a Gopher game late in the season?  The fan turnout is terrible in the stale Metrodome environment.  Also, with the team struggling, I see a weak turnout.  Although, I highly doubt there will be more Bison fans than Gophers fans, I think people will be surprised by the crowd.  I would have to give the Gophers a 16-17 point edge; however, if the Bison get some early breaks, they could give the Gophers a scare.

If the Bison would happen to win, that would probably seal Mason's fate, and have an incredible impact on recruiting in the next couple years.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:05 am

Not only Mason's fate, but I would have to think Craig Bohl's future at NDSU may be up in the air if they beat U of M as well.   Did anyone see the article in the fargo forum this week about possibly losing Bohl to bigger and better things? Even though he says he's happy, i'd have to think that his coaching future is looking very bright right now.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the low down » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:10 am

Notorious wrote:Have you ever been to a Gopher game late in the season?  The fan turnout is terrible in the stale Metrodome environment.  Also, with the team struggling, I see a weak turnout.  Although, I highly doubt there will be more Bison fans than Gophers fans, I think people will be surprised by the crowd.  I would have to give the Gophers a 16-17 point edge; however, if the Bison get some early breaks, they could give the Gophers a scare.

If the Bison would happen to win, that would probably seal Mason's fate, and have an incredible impact on recruiting in the next couple years.

Agreed.  Last week against Penn State, I'd say the dome was about 2/3 full.  That is not a good sign for a Big Ten program, a conference which is supposed to sell out their stadiums no matter what the record is and the opponent.  It's hard to say that the U is on the same level as Wisconsin or Iowa when both of those programs consistently draw 70,000+ for each home game and are consistent contenders for a BSC bowl game.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 am

I see this game going a couple of different ways. One, it could determine the future of Glen Mason. Two, Minnesota is coming off an embarassing loss to Wisconsin, and may be ready to take their frustrations out on NDSU. Three, the Gophers may just want to get this nightmarish season over, and NDSU may take advantage of the situation. I honestly feel like this game may be a real good game, but I think in the end the Gophers by two touchdowns. I'm a UND alum, but my heart will be with NDSU this weekend. Best of luck to the Bison. Go get em!!!
ndfbfan

Postby Ming01 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:36 pm

This actually should be a close game.  I have the privilege of attending it. Hopefully it is a good game.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Define close for this game?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:48 pm

10 or less pts
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saas25 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:03 am

I give NDSU about a 5% chance.  NDSU is very talented and such at the D1 AA level and did beat a D 1A team but that was Ball State the lower 1/4 of college football.  The talent level is way different at a big time school then a smaller D1AA school.  Minnesota 40 NDSU 10.   I do hope NDSU wins but honestly this almost like David vs Goliath.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 am

Change of heart for Ming.  I think you predicted a lose to Ball State and getting executed by the Gophers.  That is just the difference between I-AA and I-A?  What caused the change????????
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby the low down » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Change of heart for Ming.  I think you predicted a lose to Ball State and getting executed by the Gophers.  That is just the difference between I-AA and I-A?  What caused the change????????

Ball State and their conference is no better than a good IAA conference.  The Bison win over Ball State didn't surprise me much.  That should not discount the great and impressive season that they are having though.

That said, the Bison are still coming in as a IAA team versus a Big Ten team.  I'm expecting the Gophers by at least 3-4 touchdowns.  It doesn't matter how beat up the Gophers are physically and mentally.  It is amazing how hard the people here in the Twin Cities are on the Gopher team.  It seems like every day now the Strib has an article about them not being a good football team.  

The Bison have a prime opportunity however to come in a make a name for themselves.  The "U" already knows about one ND school (hockey rivalry with UND), now it is a chance for the Bison to introduce themselves in their bread and butter sport.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Change of heart for Ming.  I think you predicted a lose to Ball State and getting executed by the Gophers.  That is just the difference between I-AA and I-A?  What caused the change????????

A lot of things can change in 8 months.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:15 pm

My best logical answer for the outcome of this game is done by using the transitive property of sports:

The Bison beat Ball St by 5

Purdue beat Ball St by 10

Purdue beat the Goofers by 6          

This all happened between the 16th and the 23rd of September so you can figure they were all at the same stage in the season.

So, if you do the math the Bison should come away with a 1 point victory.

I also have the privilege of going to the game and can't wait until morning.

Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!
ND_SportsNut

Postby ndsubisonfan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:49 pm

ND_SportsNut wrote:My best logical answer for the outcome of this game is done by using the transitive property of sports:

The Bison beat Ball St by 5

Purdue beat Ball St by 10

Purdue beat the Goofers by 6          

This all happened between the 16th and the 23rd of September so you can figure they were all at the same stage in the season.

So, if you do the math the Bison should come away with a 1 point victory.

I also have the privilege of going to the game and can't wait until morning.

Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!

that is quite the prediction...ndsu only lost by 1!! it was a great game and ndsu absolutely dominated the gophers on both sides of the ball. no one can argue that, but when you cant put the ball in the endzone in the redzone then its hard to win a game. congrats to kyle steffes he played an amazing game, and same with walker the qb. both are exceptional athletes. too bad the scoreboard didnt show how the game really went down.
ndsubisonfan

Postby the low down » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:58 pm

My guess is that Glen Mason will be fired after this year.  The Gophers are lookin' like a sorry bunch and they are taking a lot of heat from the Twin Cities media (obviously not Sid Hartman though)  I can't wait for tomorrow's Strib to come out.

From a UND alum and current Twin Cities resident, I offer congrats to NDSU and their fans.  NDSU deserved to win this football game.  I was one of the many who didn't give them a chance coming into the game.  I was proven wrong.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Was a great game, proud of the boys for giving the goofs all they could handle in that one. Ahhh well their is always next year :). Congrats to the boys on a hard fought game, now finish the season strong!!

As for coach Mason, if they don't fire him after this season they are a bunch of idiots over their. Actually keep him, cause it will be easier for Bohl to out recruit him then some other guy in Minnesota. Where would a kid wanna play? Minnesota where they will be close to last in big 10 and on great year play in a crap bowl game, or go to NDSU and at least have a shot at a National Championship year in and year out??? I know which one I would take and it isn't the first option.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:51 pm

I had a lot of fun at the game, almost felt like I was at the fargodome with the 15-20,000 bison fans there. The boys outplayed the gophers in every area except the scoreboard. It came down to missed opportunities. If we would've taken advantage of our redzone opportunities it shouldve been a 10 point W because the defense was stingy giving up less than 100 yards on the ground  to a 1-a team that averages 170 i mean that less than Michigan and Wisconsin gave up to the gophers. But thats the way it goes. GO BISON!!!!

ND_SportsNut

Postby the low down » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:14 pm

My opinion is that Mason should be fired this year and Coach Bohl should be a top candidate for the job here.

the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:17 am

That was heartbreaking loss, but the guys have nothing to hang their heads about. They'll get a shot again next year and a chance to prove themselves all over again.

Only problem for NDSU is this: If you are a DI-A team, are you really going to want to pay NDSU half a million or more to come to your house and embarrass you? OTOH, this was Minnesota's biggest crowd this year and Bison fans showed up by the truckload. Heck, the Minneapolis news was talking about making this an annual rivalry game (probably not going to happen, but pretty cool anyway).

I'd never seen Steffes run from the end zone before - holy cow, he was shifty and had power - pretty much the perfect back for NDSU's current system. The Bison defense was incredible too.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges