Bison vs. Gophers Football

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby ndfan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Bison are set to schedule the Gophers in 07' i believe. I think this is a great test to see how we fare against D-IA schools. Bison message board also mentioned something about a chance of maybe playing them this year??? I have no clue how true that is but it was mentioned on the bisonville message board. I say go for it :). Can the Bison compete with the Gophers or they gonna get a butt whooping? It shall be interesting.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:50 am

The payday would be nice, but I don't know if the talent level at NDSU is enough to give the Gophers much of a game just yet.  We will know after the Ball State game if not scheduling the Gophers was a good idea I guess.   A loss to a subpar Ball State would mean a bad loss to the Gophers.  I sure the reason for not taking the game is the same reason that Gene Taylor did not take the games with Western Kentucky or New Hampshire last year, they need to take calculated risks and nurture their talent.  The ultimate goal is to be fully loaded by the time they become playoff eligible.  I think Taylor would reconsider the game again if the Gophers offered him a share of the gate, that could mean really big money. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:18 am

The Gophers should win fairly easily, but it sure as heck is going to be fun to watch an ND team playing in the big time!
Last edited by 1337 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:57 pm

NDSU will get it handed to them by Minnesota.  They play Ball St. next year and will probably get killed by them too.  That's just the difference between D-1AA and D-1A.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Who is Ball State in the grand scheme of DI football? Forgive my ignorance?

The Minnesota game should be a fairly easy win for the Gophers, but the Bison won't be any slouches.
Last edited by 1337 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 pm

The scholarship numbers shouldn't make that much of a difference with Ball State, I'd say home field may be the biggest factor, Ball State wouldn't ever be confused for a BCS team. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 am

NDSU struggled with many D- 1-AA opponents this year.  And it wont be much of a difference next year.  When they play Ball St. I expect it to be the same.  Like I said thats just the difference between D-1AA and D-1A.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:54 pm

NDSU is adjusting well to DIAA, and should look to have another outstanding year, as much of their young talent matures.  Coach Bohl is positioning the team to make a run in the playoffs once they become eligilble.  To think they would go undefeated, or not struggle against a fully entrenched DIA school, at this stage,  is  not realistic.  But never underestimate a team from North Dakota.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Ball State is in the MAC (Mid American Conference) they went 4-7 last year. I think its a good test for NDSU. Its better then playing NAIA or D-2 schools. The only D-2 school i would care to watch NDSU play right now is UND because of the great rivalry.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:29 am

ndfan wrote:Ball State is in the MAC (Mid American Conference) they went 4-7 last year. I think its a good test for NDSU. Its better then playing NAIA or D-2 schools. The only D-2 school i would care to watch NDSU play right now is UND because of the great rivalry.

Given that, NDSU should definitely be able to hold their own.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Football_Wrestling- X's 2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:42 am

I hope the Bison do play the Gophers, It will be a Win-Win situation for the Bison win or lose.  Are they still a year or two out of playoffs?  That should give Coach Bohl plenty of time to re-boot, work out any kinks and be ready to dominate.  Good Luck Bison. 
Football_Wrestling- X's 2

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Possible announcement coming up?  

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:28 pm

IT"S OFFICIAL!!!!!!!

OCTOBER 21st, 2006 Bison vs. Goofers at the Metro-dome.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:49 pm

A tough schedule this year with these teams on the road:
  • Ball State
  • Stephen F. Austin
  • Georgia Southern
  • Minnesota
  • Southern Utah
  • UC-Davis
One thing for sure you can't complain about the competition their playing.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Nice, I can't wait for that one!! Might have to consider a road trip or at the very least put time aside to catch that one!!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:17 pm

The two teams will also play Oct. 21, 2007, in Minneapolis.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Mon May 29, 2006 8:52 pm

It's hard to get excited for an execution....sorry NDSU.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby flatlander » Mon May 29, 2006 11:16 pm

So many people I know want to go to this game that I've got to buy 40 tickets. People don't fly across the country to attend a game if they're not excited - and most of these people haven't been to a game for years. I'd feel worse if NDSU was still in D2 struggling to find anybody to play. NDSU might get beat up on, especially if they suffer some key injuries, but there's always a chance, and that chance creates excitement. Remember Wisconsin? If NDSU was still in D2, nobody would have ever believed that was possible (don't bother trying to tell me that football and basketball are different because I already know).
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue May 30, 2006 3:18 am

[user=461]Tigger[/user] wrote:
It's hard to get excited for an execution....sorry NDSU.

Execution??? come on now I'm not gonna sit here and say the Bison are gonna go down their and give them a butt whooping or even win. But I highly doubt it will be an execution. They lost two ALL AMERICAN offense of linemen and their first and second string running back. Their defense has always sucked. And they have one of the worst head coaches in d-1 football. Anything is possible, I say look for the upset.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:37 am

I dont think NDSU will have a chance.  That's just the difference between 1-A and 1-AA football.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue May 30, 2006 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:16 am

Same thing was said when the  Bison basketball team went to Madison to take on the Badgers.  That expected execution turned into one major upset...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Tue May 30, 2006 10:08 am

i tell you what, i'm not excited at all about ndsu playing minnesota...but i am excited to see how guys like joe mays (huge fan of his) respond. he was always making plays in the games i saw, and i'll be curious to see if he is still around the ball 65 % of the time against a division 1 offensive line/scheme.
rep

Postby Batman » Tue May 30, 2006 10:16 am

As a NDSU alumnus and big Bison Fan I can say that realistically we are hoping to see a close score.  A DIAA home game would have been the first choice, but a $300,000 paycheck to play the gophers is better than playing a DII, or another road game.

One thing to watch for is the play of the offensive and defensive lines.  Lots of young talent on the O line, hopefully they can come together as a unit.  The defensive line is the big question mark of the team.  Hopefully the new transfers can play to their potential and free up their talented lb's to make some plays.  If they can't it'll be a long season.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsubisonfan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I know Kyle Steffes is being scouted right now by NFL scouts, and plying a team like Minnesota could really show people if he could compete at that level. If he has a good game, maybe Minnesota won't dominate as bad as people think. Kyle went to Green Bay recently and ran one of the fastest 40's recorded for the Packers. It was hard to believe, but I did talk to Kyle and was true.
ndsubisonfan

Postby tcbison » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:12 am

ndsubisonfan wrote:I know Kyle Steffes is being scouted right now by NFL scouts, and plying a team like Minnesota could really show people if he could compete at that level. If he has a good game, maybe Minnesota won't dominate as bad as people think. Kyle went to Green Bay recently and ran one of the fastest 40's recorded for the Packers. It was hard to believe, but I did talk to Kyle and was true.

I also heard that about Kyle Steffes. Sounds like they were possibly interested in him playing LB.

I think this weekend with NDSU playing Ball State and Minnesota playing Purdue we will find out a lot about how NDSU will do against Minnesota. Purdue beat Ball State by 10.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges