Fighting Sioux Football 2009

No smack talk is allowed here.

Fighting Sioux Football 2009

Postby sportsking09 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 pm

New thread sinse old one got closed.

Big game for the sioux this weekend taking on UC Davis for the Great West Title. The teams have only played each other twice, with each team taking a win, leaving the series at 1-1. lets see if the sioux can bring home the conference title

GO SIOUX!!!
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Re: Fighting Sioux Football 2009

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Sioux finish the Great West in a 3 way tie for 2nd in the conference with a loss at UC Davis. Poor season for the Great West. I don't think UC Davis will make the playoffs.

Sioux finish their season on the road, where they've struggled this year, at Central Arkansas. Sioux have one road victory on the season at winless Northwestern State (0-10).
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Willy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 pm

The 09 Sioux football team will go down as one of the most inconsistant in their history. It seems they were able to get up for good competition, and play down to less talented teams. You gotta put that on the coaching staff. There was not enough speed, strength and talent at the skill positions outside of Bamba at wide receiver. The QB position was unsettled, never a good situation. Landry has to question the coach's confidence in him, but his inconsistant play did little to help his stock. Recruiting will be a problem until the transistion phase to D1 is complete. The Sioux glory days are over for now, sad to say.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Willy wrote:There was not enough speed, strength and talent at the skill positions outside of Bamba at wide receiver.

I don't see all of the UND games, but didn't Bamba have a lot of drops on the season?

Willy wrote:Recruiting will be a problem until the transistion phase to D1 is complete.

It seemed some recent schools (SDSU) got quite a bit better in the transition phase and others (University of Northern Colorado) went the other way. I'm not sure what the norm is.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 am

UND wasn't especially strong in the soph., jr. and sr. classes (the early departures of players like Chappell, Stroup and Murray contributed to this), but the recruiting class of 2008 looks quite good so far, with players like Bamba, Sutton, Brenneman, Benjamin, Mersereau, Watkins, McGurran (Fargo North), Wisthoff (Glenburn), etc. either starting or at least playing a lot. And by most accounts, the group that's red-shirting this year is better than the 2008 group.

Obviously UND's play was wildly inconsistent this year. And I do hold the coaching staff at least somewhat responsible for that. But I think we'll see some improvement next year with the continued development of the two most recent recruiting classes. And recruiting is already going pretty well this year with a commitment from arguably the top sr. quarterback in Wisconsin.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges