18%
27%
27%
No votes
never
27%

Total votes : 11

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Another topic going around the University of North Dakota. I think if they are going to do it they need to do it sooner then later. Should they stay D-II or leave for D-1?? Any opinions out there?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:48 pm

2008. I'm guessing that's how long it'll take to make it all happen. It is coming.

But hey, we still have more D-1 championships than NDSU will have in the next 20 years. wOot.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:09 pm

There is room for a serious discussion about this subject, but as the site administrator there will be no tolerance for any of the "you struggle, no you struggle" crap that has been going around for years regarding UND and NDSU, I for one am tired of hearing it.   Any posts reverting to this type of behavior will be deleted.  Please take that stuff someplace else, there are many UND and NDSU fans and alumni (myself included) on this board and everyone is welcome.  Now that being said, carry on. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 pm

A lot of it may depend on what comes out of the DI review committee hearings that they are in the process of holding.  If it is fiscally feasable they will move  sooner,  if not, it may  be in another 5-10 years or so.   I think they will go by what the committee recommends, otherwise what would be the point of having it.  With this input, their AD can answer any further questions by saying that this is what the committe has decided is best for the University at this time, end of story, and not have the uncertainties they now are undergoing.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ishouldawentPRO » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:48 am

I'm tired of that stuff too.  I think most people I've talked to would like the rivalry to continue, that is the most important thing whatever division they play in.
ishouldawentPRO

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 am

Yeah I wasn't trying to get any smack talk started on this from either side. Sports wise this is an important decision for North Dakota. I am a big supporter of UND and NDSU when it comes to football. I've played with guys that have and still play for both teams. I want to see the best rivalry this state has to return. Could that happen if UND stays at D-II and if they do stay can they be competitive if rivalry started again? How would the other teams fare such as the basketball, volleyball, and baseball teams do? UND certainly has the facilitys in my mind, they are well supported by the boosters and dont think scholarship money would be a problem would it? But it will be interesting to see what the Committee has to say and i'm pretty sure they will do what they think is best for the University.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:20 pm

I was reading an article from the grand forks herald online. It said the committee will include no reccommendations, but will give information from their work. Sounds like they will send the report to president Kupchella sometime near the end of the semester. Heres the story.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandfork ... 593748.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:16 am

I would be more in favor up recent proposals by Kupchella and Thomas to decouple sports. Meaning...you can be D-1 in one sport and D-2 in another. Obviously this will never happen because money talks, but I sure think that is the answer.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Does the success that NDSU is having so far in D-1 have any effect on what UND will do when decisions are made to turn D-1 sooner then later???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:02 pm

[user=20]ndfan[/user] wrote:
Does the success that NDSU is having so far in D-1 have any effect on what UND will do when decisions are made to turn D-1 sooner then later???

No.The only decision the Bison made that impacted the Sioux's decision was by turning D-1 in the first place. The Sioux are going to go D-1 it is only a question of when. There recent successes will by no means expedite the process. It will happen when all parties involved feel it is the best time for the Fighting Sioux to move to D-1. Period.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:04 pm

Here's a article i found on grand forks herald, kind of interesting.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14062387.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Sounds like UND is going to make the move up to D-1 soon. No announcement has been made but by the way people are talking a decision is going to be made pretty soon. Anybody heard anything new lately?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 pm

sort of off-topic, but here i go:

essentially my love for ndsu and und football went bye bye when both teams went indoors.

i'm a firm believer that the game of football was meant to be played in the elements and both universities have lost my support because of their decisions to play indoors.

so basically, neither school's football teams exist to me and i ignore football when looking at the division 1 debate. looking at ndsu, their volleyball team lost something like 20 consecutive matches this past season and their baseball team just split with valley city state. to me (with a blind eye turned to football) a lot of sports are really hurting and i'll be curious to see if they can recover when the bison are eligible. the men's basketball is aparently okay, but ndsu athletics look to be outhouse or castle to me.

i think und should prepare for that same kind of situation if they make the move to d-1. though, with the situation of the men's basketball team this last year, maybe they are already experiencing it.

please und, ndsu...blow off this weenie notion that our state is a collection of patsies that can't watch football outside. until you do, the only college football that should exist in north dakota is the DAC variety (or mary's d-2 brand i suppose).

Last edited by rep on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby 4sportgenius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:51 pm

Once UND sees NDSU having success in a couple more sports i think that is when they will go D-1. I also believe football was meant to be outdoors rep. Ecspecially in the north
4sportgenius

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:12 pm

I really think UND will make the move to D-1 this fall... I think their is a real bad taste in UND's mouth from losing the top football recruits in the state this year. The other programs will take some time but i think they could succeed at that level. Hey Montana's Men's basketball team won a NCAA tournament game why can't we, I'd rather see NDSU and UND in that tournament then see them win a D-2 national championship (Just My Opinion). They need to get the RIVALRY going again also, I MISS IT..... nothing beats that football game in this state.

The whole dome thing yeah i'd love to see it out doors but i see nothing wrong with it indoors. The DAC well thats another story. How much longer will their be a DAC???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed May 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Another article shows UND stakeholders are happy being d-2 and now UND has scheduled Northern Iowa in football and Purdue and Indiana in basketball which are D-1 schools. Are these schedulings a sign they are going d-1?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed May 10, 2006 5:59 pm

Kupchella has been looking for any reason NOT to go D1. This pretty much gives him all the ammunition he needs to continue as D2 in all sports but hockey...

Report: University of North Dakota stakeholders like Division II

DAVE KOLPACK
Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - An in-house survey of University of North Dakota faculty members, employees, students and season-ticket holders shows little interest in moving up to NCAA Division I athletics at this time.

The survey, part of a UND task force report, asked the so-called "stakeholders" if the school should reclassify all of its programs from Division II to Division I as soon as possible. Only 28 percent of season-ticket holders agreed - the highest percentage of the four groups.

Robert Boyd, a UND vice president and chairman of the task force, said he believes the numbers would be different if the participants in the survey had a detailed plan for a possible move, including cost and conference affiliation.

"A vast majority of those we surveyed thought UND should have finances worked out prior to any reclassification," Boyd said Tuesday, before the 22-member task force reviewed a rough draft of its report.

The report shows that a move to Division I, excluding improvements to facilities, would require an additional $1 million a year "and perhaps much more," Boyd said. UND's athletics budget is at 84 percent of the average of Division I schools in the study, he said.

The task force compared UND's facilities and programs to several Division I and Division II schools and found that "the ones in D-I looked more like us than the ones in D-II," Boyd said.

The survey was conducted by the Social Science Research Institute at UND, among 400 season-ticket holders, 400 students, 545 employees and 336 faculty members. The study did not specifically list alumni.

"You'll find in the report that a fair number of season-ticket holders are alumni," Boyd said. "To the degree that we were successful in getting a good sample there, I think we probably got a pretty good idea how they feel about it."

The survey showed that 73 percent of the school's faculty members agree that UND should remain Division I in hockey and Division II in all other sports. That opinion is shared by 59 percent of employees, 56 percent of season-ticket holders and 46 percent of students.

The report also asked people to rate the move on a scale of zero to 10, with zero meaning the school had no business making the move, and 10 meaning UND should jump to Division I whatever it takes. The average score was 5.6 for students, 5.5 for season-ticket holders, 4.4 for employees and 3.1 for faculty.

"I think if you take that in isolation one could conclude there's not a great deal of enthusiasm to move from D-II to D-I," Boyd said. "However, as I mentioned earlier, I think it's important to note that people responded without any kind of plan in front of them.

"I think until some of those pieces are put into place, we will not be able to assess the enthusiasm as well," he said.

The task force is expected to submit its final report to school President Charles Kupchella in the next week. Kupchella did not ask the group to make any recommendations, Boyd said.

"I can only answer for myself ... but I'm not sorry we weren't asked to make a recommendation," Boyd said. "We knew that our report was not going to find all the information that's necessary. There are critical issues yet that must be addressed."

The report is part of the overall plan for the university, not because of pressure from outside sources, Boyd said. North Dakota State made the jump to Division I athletics a couple of years ago.

"The president has simply said, 'I will read it, and I will take it seriously,'" Boyd said.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed May 31, 2006 3:54 pm

June 1st is tomorrow and i thought that was the deadline to reclassify doesn't seem like its gonna be this year. Anybody heard anything new?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

I found an article in the forum. Bunning is quoted as saying he thinks they should go d-1 now. They also got a 30 day extension on the d-1 deadline, to me that extension means they will be going D-1 and will let it be known soon.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index. ... ion=sports
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:31 am

SCC wrote:I guess it's not surprising.  Their search for a new men's basketball coach kind of gave the impression that D1 was coming real soon.
I guess I thought their search for a Mens BB coach was more of NAIA caliber.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:28 am

NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:04 pm

nice....so now what NDSU did wasn't so 'dumb' according to all the Sue fans 4 years ago????????

please Sue fans what changed????? I'm wondering????

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:05 pm

it kind of reminds me of monty python's quest for the holy grail...you know the scene where the guy is running at the castle and they flash between him running and the guys watching him come from about a mile off
rep

Postby Batman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:23 pm

I guess as a Bison fan this is where I pull out my "imitation in the sincerest form of flatery" line.

I think there will be some struggles in the future for UND but the move will be a good thing for them and their fans. 
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:23 am

[user=26]point/center[/user] wrote:
nice....so now what NDSU did wasn't so 'dumb' according to all the Sue fans 4 years ago????????

please Sue fans what changed????? I'm wondering????

What changed?? Changing AD's from Thomas (A d-2 guy) to Bunning (A d-1 kinda guy) probably had something to do with it. NDSU making a pretty good transition I'm sure has something to do with it. They also have that pretty nice facility called the Ralph and Betty I don't think NDSU has anything nearly that nice. Probably more reasons too.

And remember that UND still has the most Division ONE National Championships in the state of North Dakota.

Anyway I'm excited and hopefully this will bring back the best rivalry in the state on the football field back soon.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges