Fighting Sioux???

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby rez01 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:43 am

member01 wrote:from a native american on here what is so abusive about : The Univeristy of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.  they didnt pick the name to sterotype natives

They picked the name only because we "Sioux" killed Bison. Personally I don't mind the name at all. I just don't like the mockery the fans and fans of other teams do, but there's nothing the school can do about that...except change the mascot name.
User avatar
rez01
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:19 pm
Location: NDSU, ,

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 am

member01 wrote:from a native american on here what is so abusive about : The Univeristy of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.  they didnt pick the name to sterotype natives


They certainly didn't pick it to Honor us!  If they did, they wouldn't be called the "Sioux".  They would be called the Dakota, Lakota, Nakota, Chippewa, Arikara, Hidatsa, Mandan.  As a Native American, let me ask you this, is this what you want your people to be remembered as?  A mascot or cartoon!? 

Just like in years past, "no one is trying to be abusive", well they are not trying to understand also!  Maybe any one of your family members take offense, I mean you are speaking for yourself, have you asked any of your elder family members if they take offense to being a mascot or character?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby member01 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:48 am

ok why is it that the college teams, mainly the sioux, are getting this ban on offensive mascots, the cleveland Indians dont get any complaints
member01
 

Postby rep » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:33 am

member01 wrote:ok why is it that the college teams, mainly the sioux, are getting this ban on offensive mascots, the cleveland Indians dont get any complaints

i believe the ap no longer runs the older washington redskins profile logo...i think the only one they use is the spear that kind of looks like the florida state logo.
rep
 

Postby rez01 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 am

member01 wrote:ok why is it that the college teams, mainly the sioux, are getting this ban on offensive mascots, the cleveland Indians dont get any complaints

Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins get all kinds of complaints...just that they have so much money not much noone can do.
User avatar
rez01
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:19 pm
Location: NDSU, ,

Postby Ming01 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Diamond D wrote:
Are you serious?  We can do it because thats who we are.  And not person from our community has spoken out against it or has been offended.  Thats why. 

I figured that would have been the answer, but I wanted to hear it from you.

What if one student of another ethnicity enrolled at FW and said he/she feels offended by it?  Would you then change the mascot?

So what is the percentage needed to support a Native American logo?  Can New Town use a Native American logo?  Back in the 80's this town was predominately white and now it it predominately Native American. 

Seminoles support Fl State.   Indian's Alumni says he disagrees with it and NOT acceptable.

Fort Tottent supports FW High School.   Yet this is acceptable?  Seems like a double standard.

If we are going to ban Native American logos, then they all need to be banned.

I have an example.  Ok, Wahpeton used to be the Wahps right?  I believe Wahp(sp?) is a derogatory term for Italians.  How would some Italians feel if lets say there was for example, the Standing Rock Wahps?  Granted there aren't many (for lack of a better word) full-blooded Italians here as Native Americans, but it is the same thing I would think.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:41 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
Diamond D wrote:
To me it's totally appropriate for natives to use those logos and nicknames.  To my knowledge there hasn't been one instance where this has been disputed in indian country. 


Help me understand this.  What is Indian country?   Do you mean the Reservation only or just where their is a higher percentage of Native American's living? 

Are there not Native Americans that go to school at UND?  How about Florida State?

Right now Devils Lake has 30% of their school enrollment is made up of Native Americans.  Could Devils Lake change their name and use a Native logo?

Minneawauken I believe is over  40% now within their enrollment.  Could they use the name or logo?

 

1. Indian's Alumni said that dancing is a religion and shouldn't be at sporting events, yet we see the Native American dancer at the FW basketball games (which however I love it when he goes out and gets the crowd going!) Are they not sporting events?

2.  What constitues when and how the logo should be used.  Should just Native Americans have that say?   My understanding is that many Natives support the use of the name and logo?

I appreciate your feedback nativegolfer.  I am trying to be open about learning about this.

 

I am refering to schools on the reservations.  Again, I think you need to read my post about being native and seeing what natives have to live thru and have lived thru before you can comment on the nickname.  Many NA's do support the name but if one person is genuinely offended then it needs to be changed.  UND needs to consider taking the funds it has raised to pay for the lawsuit and spend it on a new hockey arena cause lets face it, if the racist Englestad hadn't held the school hostage with his threats then this issue would have been settled long ago.    

Wow so your saying if i were to say ohh i am so offended by the bhs demon logo it has to be changed because there is one person offended grow up.

Ralph was most definatly not a racist he had what all native americans like to claim deep ties to his history and from what i hear from his grandson he absolutly loved and honered that school and honestly from what i have heard there was more money involved than what was said to the public so und really wouldnt have been able to raise that much

Your people suffered NOT YOU my people died in wars got smallpox had malnutrition but they died to keep us free

i would have no problem banning all native american mascots banned unless used at native american schools but than scince the "white folks" cant use these names the native americans should have to go to the same school and not use other nicknames but all this would do would be regress america 100 years

Stop whining because your feelings hurt that is why america is so soft if you say somthing wrong there is a lawsuit on your hands back when if you said somthing wrog there would just be a fight andafter the 2 opponets would sit down to a beer together the solved it like men not children. 
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Postby klg_11 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
Diamond D wrote:
To me it's totally appropriate for natives to use those logos and nicknames.  To my knowledge there hasn't been one instance where this has been disputed in indian country. 


Help me understand this.  What is Indian country?   Do you mean the Reservation only or just where their is a higher percentage of Native American's living? 

Are there not Native Americans that go to school at UND?  How about Florida State?

Right now Devils Lake has 30% of their school enrollment is made up of Native Americans.  Could Devils Lake change their name and use a Native logo?

Minneawauken I believe is over  40% now within their enrollment.  Could they use the name or logo?

 

1. Indian's Alumni said that dancing is a religion and shouldn't be at sporting events, yet we see the Native American dancer at the FW basketball games (which however I love it when he goes out and gets the crowd going!) Are they not sporting events?

2.  What constitues when and how the logo should be used.  Should just Native Americans have that say?   My understanding is that many Natives support the use of the name and logo?

I appreciate your feedback nativegolfer.  I am trying to be open about learning about this.

 

I am refering to schools on the reservations.  Again, I think you need to read my post about being native and seeing what natives have to live thru and have lived thru before you can comment on the nickname.  Many NA's do support the name but if one person is genuinely offended then it needs to be changed.  UND needs to consider taking the funds it has raised to pay for the lawsuit and spend it on a new hockey arena cause lets face it, if the racist Englestad hadn't held the school hostage with his threats then this issue would have been settled long ago.    

Wow so your saying if i were to say ohh i am so offended by the bhs demon logo it has to be changed because there is one person offended grow up.

Ralph was most definatly not a racist he had what all native americans like to claim deep ties to his history and from what i hear from his grandson he absolutly loved and honered that school and honestly from what i have heard there was more money involved than what was said to the public so und really wouldnt have been able to raise that much

Your people suffered NOT YOU my people died in wars got smallpox had malnutrition but they died to keep us free

i would have no problem banning all native american mascots banned unless used at native american schools but than scince the "white folks" cant use these names the native americans should have to go to the same school and not use other nicknames but all this would do would be regress america 100 years

Stop whining because your feelings hurt that is why america is so soft if you say somthing wrong there is a lawsuit on your hands back when if you said somthing wrog there would just be a fight andafter the 2 opponets would sit down to a beer together the solved it like men not children. 

wow well said buddy!!
klg_11
 

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:14 am

klg_11 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
Diamond D wrote:
To me it's totally appropriate for natives to use those logos and nicknames.  To my knowledge there hasn't been one instance where this has been disputed in indian country. 


Help me understand this.  What is Indian country?   Do you mean the Reservation only or just where their is a higher percentage of Native American's living? 

Are there not Native Americans that go to school at UND?  How about Florida State?

Right now Devils Lake has 30% of their school enrollment is made up of Native Americans.  Could Devils Lake change their name and use a Native logo?

Minneawauken I believe is over  40% now within their enrollment.  Could they use the name or logo?

 

1. Indian's Alumni said that dancing is a religion and shouldn't be at sporting events, yet we see the Native American dancer at the FW basketball games (which however I love it when he goes out and gets the crowd going!) Are they not sporting events?

2.  What constitues when and how the logo should be used.  Should just Native Americans have that say?   My understanding is that many Natives support the use of the name and logo?

I appreciate your feedback nativegolfer.  I am trying to be open about learning about this.

 

I am refering to schools on the reservations.  Again, I think you need to read my post about being native and seeing what natives have to live thru and have lived thru before you can comment on the nickname.  Many NA's do support the name but if one person is genuinely offended then it needs to be changed.  UND needs to consider taking the funds it has raised to pay for the lawsuit and spend it on a new hockey arena cause lets face it, if the racist Englestad hadn't held the school hostage with his threats then this issue would have been settled long ago.    

Wow so your saying if i were to say ohh i am so offended by the bhs demon logo it has to be changed because there is one person offended grow up.

Ralph was most definatly not a racist he had what all native americans like to claim deep ties to his history and from what i hear from his grandson he absolutly loved and honered that school and honestly from what i have heard there was more money involved than what was said to the public so und really wouldnt have been able to raise that much

Your people suffered NOT YOU my people died in wars got smallpox had malnutrition but they died to keep us free

i would have no problem banning all native american mascots banned unless used at native american schools but than scince the "white folks" cant use these names the native americans should have to go to the same school and not use other nicknames but all this would do would be regress america 100 years

Stop whining because your feelings hurt that is why america is so soft if you say somthing wrong there is a lawsuit on your hands back when if you said somthing wrog there would just be a fight andafter the 2 opponets would sit down to a beer together the solved it like men not children. 

wow well said buddy!!

OK, here we go.  First off i made a mistake in calling Englestad a racist, he was a evil Nazi supporter thats what he was.  I don't which is worse and after that fiasco I don't how any honest UND fan could support him.  Just goes to show you what money can buy and it's funny because even from the grave he has UND by nutsack, hahaha.  As for your people dying for this country, Native Americans have done more than thier share in fighting for the good ole' USA.  Finally, the only ones filing a lawsuit here are the caucasians.  And that brings up a good point, if we wanted to sue UND over the nickname there isn' a court in the land that wouldn't side with us.  But thats not how we do things.  I feel sorry for you because it's attitudes like yours that perpetuate racism in america! 
User avatar
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:12 am
Location: The Rez, ,

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 am


Wow so your saying if i were to say ohh i am so offended by the bhs demon logo it has to be changed because there is one person offended grow up.

Ralph was most definatly not a racist he had what all native americans like to claim deep ties to his history and from what i hear from his grandson he absolutly loved and honered that school and honestly from what i have heard there was more money involved than what was said to the public so und really wouldnt have been able to raise that much

Your people suffered NOT YOU my people died in wars got smallpox had malnutrition but they died to keep us free

i would have no problem banning all native american mascots banned unless used at native american schools but than scince the "white folks" cant use these names the native americans should have to go to the same school and not use other nicknames but all this would do would be regress america 100 years

Stop whining because your feelings hurt that is why america is so soft if you say somthing wrong there is a lawsuit on your hands back when if you said somthing wrog there would just be a fight andafter the 2 opponets would sit down to a beer together the solved it like men not children. 

wow well said buddy!!


Ok!  You bring up some points that you obviously you have not idea about.  There is not only one person offended by the use of the Sioux Mascot, there are major universities that will not schedule a game with UND for the use of the mascot.  There are tribes offended by the use of the name!  You also mentioned the Demons, look what happened in Devils Lake over their mascot.  They had it changed because of a few that where offended.

I think I can speak for NG on this one, we have suffered, we have been treated like criminals in stores, judged and punished because of our race!  And for your arguement, Native Americans where not drafted or required to go to any of these wars, but they have volunteered.  Take a look at the most recent movie called "Windtalkers"  they were not required to go to war, they volunteered!  So while your draft dodgers where booking flights to Canada, Native Americans have been volunteering to go do what your draft dodgers where frightened to do! 

America is soft, come to the reservation and see how soft we are!  You will find a rude awakening.  So I challenge you to come see how soft Native American Reservations are, with your mind set, you wouldn't last a day!  You sir are the type of person we are trying to fight against!  Your thinking is clouded with stereotypes and ignorance.  Ignorance is not an excuse!  I hope your children will not share your ignorance!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby member01 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 am

ok indians alumni you are saying saucesauer is sterotyping native americans, when you are sterotyping caucasions as "draft dodgers" and such and you are also sterotyping your self by saying how hard it is in the rez, saying how caucasions wouldnt last a day in the rez, that is like saying we are weak or natives are stronger than caucasions. you are the one sterotyping and being racist.
member01
 

Postby rep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:40 am

hey all right...it only took seven pages in before everyone decided that everyone is racist...closed.
rep
 

Previous

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests