Fighting Sioux???

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby uconn_8 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:11 pm

BaldEagle wrote:If the name is offensive to a group or subset of a group of people, why not change it.  UND has changed their name in the past.  They could set a great example by changing their nickname, and turning a new positive leaf in their history.

I still don't understand why its offensive? Do they think UND is making a mockery of the sioux? No, they're honoring them. I think they should stop whining about it. Everyone that goes to school there takes pride in the name, no one bashes it.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:36 pm

I really don't think its about school pride or any of that nonsense if UND would step up and tell tribes that they won't change their name because of lost revenue other university's have done it the latest being Illinois I'm sure they had just as much pride in their mascot as UND has.......I know HS's and MS's in ND have changed their names accordingly but why do reservations keep theirs?? I know the FW mascot wears a headress isn' that sacred or is a BB court sacred on the rez?? and I agree no way would a fighting zulu tribe fly as a mascot that would be shot down as soon as it was thought up but UND should just change it relationships w/ native americans didn't exactly start off on the right foot
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BaldEagle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:50 am

uconn_8 wrote:
BaldEagle wrote:If the name is offensive to a group or subset of a group of people, why not change it.  UND has changed their name in the past.  They could set a great example by changing their nickname, and turning a new positive leaf in their history.

I still don't understand why its offensive? Do they think UND is making a mockery of the sioux? No, they're honoring them. I think they should stop whining about it. Everyone that goes to school there takes pride in the name, no one bashes it.

Was honoring the Sioux the reason UND originally changed it's nickname?

Just curious 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 am

well i'm sure it wasnt to bash them, i honestly dont see any reason to change it, why are they offended, if it's because of the word fighting than take that out, but the university has done nothing wrong to dishonor the name, or the community, it seemed ok until recently, so what changed? 
Last edited by knights4 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:41 am

I think most of the discrimination complaints are not things the university has done, but rather done by schools that play against them.   Maybe most of the people on this board are too young to remember, but in the past there have been some pretty bad charactures and desecrations of Native American images done in the name of a sports rivalry.  Things of that nature would not be allowed, for the most part, in a high school environment, but at a university they tend to go un-policed.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby BaldEagle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Batman wrote: I think most of the discrimination complaints are not things the university has done, but rather done by schools that play against them.   Maybe most of the people on this board are too young to remember, but in the past there have been some pretty bad charactures and desecrations of Native American images done in the name of a sports rivalry.  Things of that nature would not be allowed, for the most part, in a high school environment, but at a university they tend to go un-policed.

In the 1970's there were several examples of Fraternities and Sororities at UND creating snow sculptures, UND students with anti-Native American quotes in the student newspaper, etc. 

It's more about the second class treatment of Native American people by the some of the public.
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:53 pm

Yeah i am to young to have been apart of that, but people are going to make racial comments regardles of what the team name is, there are always a few morons who say something, it happens at every level, from high school to the pro's, and that one thing happened 37 yrs. ago those guys are now in their mid 50's, that would have been the time to change the name. But this is now a new generation, who i feel are more accepting of other people's culture, i also feel that Grand Forks and the surrounding communities love and respect the name, you see people wearing fighting sioux gear all over, i have never heard of a complaint recently about racial a comment toward the name. The only example i heard was in the 70's, that's a long time ago.  
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby T-Bone » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:03 pm

CLU_08 wrote:I completely agree.. i am part sioux and i have no problem with the name... at least our culture gets recognition.. the people that have problems with it r just uptight prudes... they do nothing at all to demine our culture...

I agree with this comment. I don't think that UND is meaning to be derogitory with this nickname. UND is simply honoring the Sioux for being such brave warriors. UND means no harm by using the words Fighting Sioux. UND actually plays a great video at their hockey games, or used to anyway. I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but it's a video showing respect to the Sioux indians.
T-Bone

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:16 pm

exactly, i've seen it too
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BaldEagle » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 am

knights4 wrote:Yeah i am to young to have been apart of that, but people are going to make racial comments regardles of what the team name is, there are always a few morons who say something, it happens at every level, from high school to the pro's, and that one thing happened 37 yrs. ago those guys are now in their mid 50's, that would have been the time to change the name. But this is now a new generation, who i feel are more accepting of other people's culture, i also feel that Grand Forks and the surrounding communities love and respect the name, you see people wearing fighting sioux gear all over, i have never heard of a complaint recently about racial a comment toward the name. The only example i heard was in the 70's, that's a long time ago.  

I'm sure UND is bending over backwards to show respect for the name.  The new generation is not exempt from the moron syndrome though.  I've seen signs on stores as recent as the 1990's barring Native Americans.  Laws and public opinion are more accepting of other culture's in today's world, but equal treatment by the general public is not there yet as a whole. 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby uconn_8 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:20 am

[user=2709]BaldEagle[/user] wrote:
  Laws and public opinion are more accepting of other culture's in today's world, but equal treatment by the general public is not there yet as a whole. 

There's always going to be a few bad apples somewhere. You can't elminate 100% of the bad people.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:12 am

uconn_8 wrote:[user=2709]BaldEagle[/user] wrote:
  Laws and public opinion are more accepting of other culture's in today's world, but equal treatment by the general public is not there yet as a whole. 

There's always going to be a few bad apples somewhere. You can't elminate 100% of the bad people.

exactly, like i said there are always going to be a few idiots who get noticed, but i bet 97% of the people respect the name, there will never be 100%, but i think were as close as we can get, and like i said before why didnt they change it when it was a huge problem back in the 70's, why now
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby klg_11 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:30 pm

BaldEagle wrote:
knights4 wrote:Yeah i am to young to have been apart of that, but people are going to make racial comments regardles of what the team name is, there are always a few morons who say something, it happens at every level, from high school to the pro's, and that one thing happened 37 yrs. ago those guys are now in their mid 50's, that would have been the time to change the name. But this is now a new generation, who i feel are more accepting of other people's culture, i also feel that Grand Forks and the surrounding communities love and respect the name, you see people wearing fighting sioux gear all over, i have never heard of a complaint recently about racial a comment toward the name. The only example i heard was in the 70's, that's a long time ago.  

I'm sure UND is bending over backwards to show respect for the name.  The new generation is not exempt from the moron syndrome though.  I've seen signs on stores as recent as the 1990's barring Native Americans.  Laws and public opinion are more accepting of other culture's in today's world, but equal treatment by the general public is not there yet as a whole. 

WHere were those signs at, i havent ever noticed them anywhere or recall ever seeing them?? not saying they dont exist but i have never seen one of those.
klg_11

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:33 pm

heres what I was told its 2nd hand info from an alumni so I don't know how true it is bus........NDSU named their mascot the bison and this when the old UND vs. NDSU rivalry started so who kills bison?? Sioux. thats just what I told I don't know if its true or not but does make sense
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knights4 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:44 pm

ur tellin me when that when all the UND head honcho's had a meeting for the team name, some guy says hey how about sioux, they kill bison, and the Dean and the school President, and everybody else say yeah great idea, that's rediculas, that sounds exactly what a 4 yr. old would say, u gotta give them more credit then that
Last edited by knights4 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BaldEagle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:04 am

knights4 wrote:ur tellin me when that when all the UND head honcho's had a meeting for the team name, some guy says hey how about sioux, they kill bison, and the Dean and the school President, and everybody else say yeah great idea, that's rediculas, that sounds exactly what a 4 yr. old would say, u gotta give them more credit then that

It wouldn't surprise me, nothing against UND, but times were different in 1930.  Major League Baseball didn't allow some of the greatest players ever to participate.  A lynching occurred in the upper midwest a few years prior, Duluth, MN.  Jim Thorpe, one of the greatest athletes ever, dressed up like a chief for promotions.

I'm not a prude either, just like to see all this bickering about the nickname end. 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND9296 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:57 am

But who is to say that the particular subset is any more deserving of getting their way than others within that same group who disagree?

It's really a shame Bob Eaglestaff isn't with us anymore. I'd be very interested to get his take on this issue. For those who don't know who he was, he was from Fort Yates, and a great player at UND in the 1970's.

For anybody who thinks that changing the nickname will have any sort of long-range positive impact, do a little research on Dartmouth and what has gone on there since the name change in the 1970's.
Last edited by UND9296 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby rumbles » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm

I'm not a sioux fan but ive benn to many of their hockey games and i assume they do the same thing at other events where they talk about how the sioux were great warriors and they picked the name after them to honor them and that stuff. I u pick the name to honor somebody how are u honoring them by fighting them to keep their name? i dont think it is huge and shouldnt be such a big deal to the sioux people but if it is theirs and they dont want UND to have it then i guess they shouldnt.
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:04 pm

knights4 wrote:ur tellin me when that when all the UND head honcho's had a meeting for the team name, some guy says hey how about sioux, they kill bison, and the Dean and the school President, and everybody else say yeah great idea, that's rediculas, that sounds exactly what a 4 yr. old would say, u gotta give them more credit then that

That is exactly how it happened. i have talked to some people at the University and thats exactly what they said and i have heard that from a number of different people as well.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby T-Bone » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Roughrider wrote:

That is exactly how it happened. i have talked to some people at the University and thats exactly what they said and i have heard that from a number of different people as well.
Haha, i'm sure that's exactly how it went down. Wow, how dumb.
T-Bone

Postby Roughrider » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:39 pm

T-Bone wrote:
Roughrider wrote:

Whatever you can have your opinions
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby T-Bone » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Roughrider wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Roughrider wrote:

Yes i kno i can. Just saying that more than likely that is not what really happened, and i would be willing to bet i'm not alone in believing that
T-Bone

Postby BaldEagle » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:49 am

T-Bone wrote:Yes i kno i can. Just saying that more than likely that is not what really happened, and i would be willing to bet i'm not alone in believing that

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux]Nickname Link
[/url]

Origins

UND's nickname was originally "The Flickertails", but was changed to "The Sioux" officially in 1930 ("Fighting" was added later). Guest editorials that appeared at that time in the Dakota Student (the UND student newspaper) noted that (1)"Sioux are a good exterminating agent for Bison" (the mascot of the nearby North Dakota State University team), (2)"They are warlike, of fine physique and bearing", and (3)"The word Sioux is easily rhymed for yells and songs".[2][/suP] The choice of the name was also influenced by the Fighting Irish athletic teams of the University of Notre Dame (another "UND").
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby klg_11 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:04 am

BaldEagle wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Yes i kno i can. Just saying that more than likely that is not what really happened, and i would be willing to bet i'm not alone in believing that

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux]Nickname Link
[/url]

Origins

UND's nickname was originally "The Flickertails", but was changed to "The Sioux" officially in 1930 ("Fighting" was added later). Guest editorials that appeared at that time in the Dakota Student (the UND student newspaper) noted that (1)"Sioux are a good exterminating agent for Bison" (the mascot of the nearby North Dakota State University team), (2)"They are warlike, of fine physique and bearing", and (3)"The word Sioux is easily rhymed for yells and songs".[2][/suP] The choice of the name was also influenced by the Fighting Irish athletic teams of the University of Notre Dame (another "UND").
its from wikipedia but really who would take the time to  make up that. I believe it now.
klg_11

Postby Roughrider » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:11 pm

T-Bone wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Roughrider wrote:

Yes i kno i can. Just saying that more than likely that is not what really happened, and i would be willing to bet i'm not alone in believing that

Now do you believe it T-bone
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges