Fridley applies for NDSU job

No smack talk is allowed here.

Fridley applies for NDSU job

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:09 am

By CINDY PETERSON
Bismarck Tribune
Fred Fridley printed off his coaching resume shortly after the University of Mary women's basketball team got beat out of the semifinals of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference tournament.

Fridley turned in his credentials to North Dakota State for the women's head coaching opening. Fridley is throwing his name in the hat to be the successor to NDSU legendary coach Amy Ruley, who has accepted the position as associate athletic director with the Bison.

"The day that it opened I had close to 20-25 phone calls or text messages from (NDSU) alumni asking me to apply for the job," Fridley said.

Fridley has ties to NDSU. He played men's basketball for the Bison and was a graduate assistant coach with the men from 1997-99.

"Imade a good impact as a player and as a graduate assistant coach," Fridley said. "Look at what we've done with the program at the University of Mary."

Fridley came to U-Mary during the 2003-04 school year.

Ruley coached at NDSU for 29 years and compiled a 671-198 record, including five NCAA Division II national championships.

Fridley said he's not afraid to build on the tradition Ruley has started. He inherited a solid program at U-Mary, one that won an NAIA national title in 2000.

The success of NDSU's program is one of the more appealing things to Fridley.

"Iwould rather take over a program that has been winning,"Fridley said. "Tradition has a lot to do with things. I know how North Dakota State operates, and I know the tradition of North Dakota State."

NDSUhas received 20 applications for the women's basketball position, according to Lynn Dorn, the director of women's athletics.

NDSU will be taking applications until March 27, or until the position is filled, Dorn said.

What do you think? Will he get a look??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Fridley applies for NDSU job

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 am

I had heard rumor it was Guy Fridley that threw his name in the hat. I kept thinking "are they sure it isn't Fred applying and not Guy". Thanks for posting this information Baller to correct the rumors.

I played with and against Fred during high school. We were both at NDSU at the same time so I watched him play alot of ball. I believe he understands the game very well and is very confident in his coaching abilities.

This is a big step and D-1 recruiting is much different IMHO than any other divisions. I think Fred has what it takes to make the move and be a successful coach for NDSU.

One question. I am not sure about transfering and such, but will any of his ballplayers go with him if he is selected? Can they go with him or do they have to miss a year of eligibility if they go?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:20 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:I had heard rumor it was Guy Fridley that threw his name in the hat. I kept thinking "are they sure it isn't Fred applying and not Guy". Thanks for posting this information Baller to correct the rumors.

I played with and against Fred during high school. We were both at NDSU at the same time so I watched him play alot of ball. I believe he understands the game very well and is very confident in his coaching abilities.

This is a big step and D-1 recruiting is much different IMHO than any other divisions. I think Fred has what it takes to make the move and be a successful coach for NDSU.

One question. I am not sure about transfering and such, but will any of his ballplayers go with him if he is selected? Can they go with him or do they have to miss a year of eligibility if they go?

If they're moving up a division I think they have to sit out a year. Not totally positive though.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:00 pm

I thought that if you switched divisions there was no sit-out rule. I'm not sure though. Do you think any of the U-Mary Women have the ability to play at the D1 level? I think Kayla Rogers is extremely good, but I'm not sure how she'd do D1.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tcbison » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 am

tellmeaboutit wrote:I thought that if you switched divisions there was no sit-out rule. I'm not sure though. Do you think any of the U-Mary Women have the ability to play at the D1 level? I think Kayla Rogers is extremely good, but I'm not sure how she'd do D1.

If you are transferring up there is a sit-out rule(1 year) unless it is a JUCO transfer. If you transfer down there is no sit-out rule.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges