Minority Scholarships

No smack talk is allowed here.

Minority Scholarships

Postby SDHoops » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:03 pm

I just want to point out that there are people who think the diversity waivers that NDUS schools offer are discriminating or singling out minorities, you are forgetting that there are traditionally black schools/colleges down south that offer the same types of waivers to caucasians. They say ONLY caucasians and noone else of any other ethnicity. There are also private scholarship donors who offer money to educate women over a certain age and to high school graduates from certain high schools, counties, towns, etc. My point is there are a lot of different types of scholarships.

I'm not trying to stir up anything but I just want people to understand why the NDUS has these types of waivers. They want diversity to keep those students. Hopefully UND can keep the Sioux name, I mean can you imagine them without it? I am Native American and a Sioux but I applaud the UND for standing for what they believe in. I have no problem with it and I am surprised that the NCAA doesn't include the Lakota Sioux in getting permission for the name. People from both the East and West coasts acknowledge that they know of the Sioux specifically from the UND school nickname.

So in closing I hope that the NCAA will quit being so uptight and UND has been good to Natives as far as I know.
User avatar
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: Down South, , USA

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby sportsking09 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:16 pm

SDHoops wrote: Hopefully UND can keep the Sioux name, I mean can you imagine them without it? I am Native American and a Sioux but I applaud the UND for standing for what they believe in. I have no problem with it and I am surprised that the NCAA doesn't include the Lakota Sioux in getting permission for the name. People from both the East and West coasts acknowledge that they know of the Sioux specifically from the UND school nickname.

So in closing I hope that the NCAA will quit being so uptight and UND has been good to Natives as far as I know.


These are the types comments the NCAA need to see! I am very pleased that at least someone gets the picture and they get that UND is trying to honor the sioux, and UND is also helping spread the Fighting Sioux name across the country. I applaud this comment, and i dont know if it would do much but i would suggest with you being part of the sioux tribe that you should even send a letter of this type of persusian to keep the name to the NCAA itself.
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm

sportsking09 wrote:
SDHoops wrote: Hopefully UND can keep the Sioux name, I mean can you imagine them without it? I am Native American and a Sioux but I applaud the UND for standing for what they believe in. I have no problem with it and I am surprised that the NCAA doesn't include the Lakota Sioux in getting permission for the name. People from both the East and West coasts acknowledge that they know of the Sioux specifically from the UND school nickname.

So in closing I hope that the NCAA will quit being so uptight and UND has been good to Natives as far as I know.


These are the types comments the NCAA need to see! I am very pleased that at least someone gets the picture and they get that UND is trying to honor the sioux, and UND is also helping spread the Fighting Sioux name across the country. I applaud this comment, and i dont know if it would do much but i would suggest with you being part of the sioux tribe that you should even send a letter of this type of persusian to keep the name to the NCAA itself.

Well I'm a Dakota Sioux and don't feel one bit honored by UND's nickname. What honor is there when your race is thought of as receiving a free education, living off public assistance and being a bunch of alcoholics. How did those sorority girls honor UND's nickname by holding that party? Oh yeah, I'm also a UND grad and I always wanted my kids to attend UND. Now with reading how people feel about NA's on this and other forums I will not send my kids to UND and let them subject to the kind of ignorance shown by those sorority girls, for example. You think that is the only instance of stupidity that goes on at UND? When I went to school there, there were several instances where I was subject to racial slurs and the same kind of stigmas that are still around today and that was almost 20 years ago! The nickname issue goes deeper than just using a name. It has to do with how caucasions veiw NA's.
User avatar
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:12 am
Location: The Rez, ,

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:10 pm

so UND is the only place where parties are held? i gaurantee every college in the country throws parties and people are consuming alcohol, so to say that is how a NA is portrayed just because UND does it is ridiculous. maybe the Atlanta Braves are portraying that all NA's go around tomahawk chopping everything in sight...

i am not native so thats why it doesnt offend me, and maybe thats why i dont see how it offends you. but if its because a sorority threw a party, thats pretty weak. not only is it illegal for a sorority to have alcohol in the house, they cant even have males in the house unless its the entry way waiting for one of the sisters to come down. not much of a party if there was no alcohol or members of the opposite sex...but who knows maybe they played monopoly??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:58 pm

baseball wrote:so UND is the only place where parties are held? i gaurantee every college in the country throws parties and people are consuming alcohol, so to say that is how a NA is portrayed just because UND does it is ridiculous. maybe the Atlanta Braves are portraying that all NA's go around tomahawk chopping everything in sight...

i am not native so thats why it doesnt offend me, and maybe thats why i dont see how it offends you. but if its because a sorority threw a party, thats pretty weak. not only is it illegal for a sorority to have alcohol in the house, they cant even have males in the house unless its the entry way waiting for one of the sisters to come down. not much of a party if there was no alcohol or members of the opposite sex...but who knows maybe they played monopoly??


He's talking about the "cowboys and indians" party that is recently in the news and is being accused of discrimination.

I think when the nickname changes, if it does, it will only make things worse. The racism won't go away just because a logo or nickname does. I feel it could make things worse, people will be blaming the Tribes for taking away the mascot. It could cause even more uproar. But who knows... It's a tough situation.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Ming01 wrote:
baseball wrote:so UND is the only place where parties are held? i gaurantee every college in the country throws parties and people are consuming alcohol, so to say that is how a NA is portrayed just because UND does it is ridiculous. maybe the Atlanta Braves are portraying that all NA's go around tomahawk chopping everything in sight...

i am not native so thats why it doesnt offend me, and maybe thats why i dont see how it offends you. but if its because a sorority threw a party, thats pretty weak. not only is it illegal for a sorority to have alcohol in the house, they cant even have males in the house unless its the entry way waiting for one of the sisters to come down. not much of a party if there was no alcohol or members of the opposite sex...but who knows maybe they played monopoly??


He's talking about the "cowboys and indians" party that is recently in the news and is being accused of discrimination.

I think when the nickname changes, if it does, it will only make things worse. The racism won't go away just because a logo or nickname does. I feel it could make things worse, people will be blaming the Tribes for taking away the mascot. It could cause even more uproar. But who knows... It's a tough situation.

So what are we supposed to do then? Shut up because we are scared of repercussions. One undeniable fact is true: Caucasions are the most prejudice race of people on earth and that will never change. They have gone to every continent on earth and have decimated and exploited the native peoples of those lands. There will always be racism and this nickname issue is just a vessel they will use as a reason to continue their ways. Where's the honor in that? That's been the main question I have been asking: where's the honor. Your UND fans will say "We are honoring the Sioux people". But how many would even give a Dakota or Lakota the time of day? I have been in so many situations where i have not felt "honored" by a caucasion(s).
User avatar
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:12 am
Location: The Rez, ,

Re: Minority Scholarships

Postby rep » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:15 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
baseball wrote:so UND is the only place where parties are held? i gaurantee every college in the country throws parties and people are consuming alcohol, so to say that is how a NA is portrayed just because UND does it is ridiculous. maybe the Atlanta Braves are portraying that all NA's go around tomahawk chopping everything in sight...

i am not native so thats why it doesnt offend me, and maybe thats why i dont see how it offends you. but if its because a sorority threw a party, thats pretty weak. not only is it illegal for a sorority to have alcohol in the house, they cant even have males in the house unless its the entry way waiting for one of the sisters to come down. not much of a party if there was no alcohol or members of the opposite sex...but who knows maybe they played monopoly??


He's talking about the "cowboys and indians" party that is recently in the news and is being accused of discrimination.

I think when the nickname changes, if it does, it will only make things worse. The racism won't go away just because a logo or nickname does. I feel it could make things worse, people will be blaming the Tribes for taking away the mascot. It could cause even more uproar. But who knows... It's a tough situation.

So what are we supposed to do then? Shut up because we are scared of repercussions. One undeniable fact is true: Caucasions are the most prejudice race of people on earth and that will never change. They have gone to every continent on earth and have decimated and exploited the native peoples of those lands. There will always be racism and this nickname issue is just a vessel they will use as a reason to continue their ways. Where's the honor in that? That's been the main question I have been asking: where's the honor. Your UND fans will say "We are honoring the Sioux people". But how many would even give a Dakota or Lakota the time of day? I have been in so many situations where i have not felt "honored" by a caucasion(s).


i feel as though this is going nowhere, especially because i'm caucasion and prejudice apparently.

closed.
rep
 


Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest