UND mens basketball

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:29 am

It appears Rich Glas is leaving.  His house is on the market, and he's formally applied to UNI.  Okay UND fans who do you want to replace him?  I think if their next coach is someone who has primarily DI experience it will signify an attitude that they are positioning themselves for a move in the next few years.  On the other hand there are some pretty good coaches with local ties also. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am

It's hard to say who the next coach might be. I like Craig Smith, but whether he has enough experience or not, I don't know. Had this happened a year ago, I would have really liked to have seen Brad Huse come back to ND, but he recently got the job at Montana State. As for a dI assistant, it would need to be somebody with very good recruiting contacts in the twin cities area and in Wisconsin. I don't really have any names in mind who would fit that description.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:54 pm

the story on glas leaving...just for reference:

UND men's basketball coach applies at Northern Iowa

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) â€â€
rep

Postby ndfan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:03 am

Honestly I think this is the best thing for UND if or when Glas leaves. He had a pretty good run well he was their. They need some new blood in their to rejuvenate that program especially if they decide to go D-1.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:56 am

I agree, the program just hasnt really went anywhere the last few years. Seemed to me like it was on the downward slide anyway.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby UND9296 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:36 am

The job should interest some good coaches when you consider that UND has a great basketball tradtion--notwithstanding the past decade which hasn't been very good. The facilities are very good, and when you consider how strong the other three revenue-producing sports are at UND--football, hockey and women's basketball--it should be apparent that this program is a sleeping giant with the right leadership in place.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Coach Glas accepted the associate head coach job at UNI. Here's article from the GF herald. Best of luck to him their and hope UND can find somebody who can get the program back on its feet. So who' the front runner?

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14426181.htm
Last edited by ndfan on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedWings7 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:52 pm

even though craig smith, mayville st, probably was licking his chops when the ndsu job was in limbo, he will probably be the front runner for und because the ndsu job will not be opening up for quite awhile
RedWings7

Postby ndfan » Thu May 11, 2006 4:59 pm

UND announces men's basketball coach interviews.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14556423.htm

Craig Smith not one to be interviewed.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu May 11, 2006 5:36 pm

reading between the lines, they still left the door open for somebody other than the 4 being interviewed. one story in particular spelled out the preferred requirments with 5 years of D2 or D1 coaching experience. Craig didn't have that.

you know what would've been better than all their criteria? CAN WIN that's what UND needs.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby WildWarrior » Thu May 11, 2006 5:44 pm

big mistake on UND's part I believe not to have chosen any outside candidates with UND ties. 
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Fri May 12, 2006 12:14 pm

[user=26]point/center[/user] wrote:
reading between the lines, they still left the door open for somebody other than the 4 being interviewed. one story in particular spelled out the preferred requirments with 5 years of D2 or D1 coaching experience. Craig didn't have that.

you know what would've been better than all their criteria? CAN WIN that's what UND needs.

Does having D2 or D1 coaching experience really make a difference in who you choose as a coach? Are these guys better coaches then some of the area guys that didn't get chosen? I hope they picked these guys by what they have done on the coaching floor and recruiting and not just experience. Hopefully they do interview a few area and alum guys too. and I hope they don't screw up this process like Mayville State did when picking a football coach this past winter.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri May 12, 2006 9:54 pm

What happened in Mayville?   I know they have a new coach.  I heard the Cavalier guy turned it down so they promoted from within.  Is there more to the story? 

I would have liked to have seen Smith or Graupe at least get an interview.  I think it would be fun to watch Smith and Miles coach against each other.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby UND9296 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:49 am

ndfan wrote:[user=26]point/center[/user] wrote:

Does having D2 or D1 coaching experience really make a difference in who you choose as a coach? Are these guys better coaches then some of the area guys that didn't get chosen? I hope they picked these guys by what they have done on the coaching floor and recruiting and not just experience. Hopefully they do interview a few area and alum guys too. and I hope they don't screw up this process like Mayville State did when picking a football coach this past winter.

I believe quite strongly that of the three people on the search committee--Tom Buning, Betty Ralston and Gene Roebuck--Roebuck is the only competent one. Most UND basketball fans I know are furious with this list of finalists, and most think Smith should definitely have been a finalist.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Sat May 13, 2006 5:43 am

you'd thin Sioux Boosters would be calling for mutiny if that is the case. similar to Miles interview at Carolina-W. AD wanted Miles, boosters wanted the 'other' guy. and the team/players suffer. another example of admin doing more bad than good

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat May 13, 2006 5:51 am

you'd thin Sioux Boosters would be calling for mutiny if that is the case. similar to Miles interview at Carolina-W. AD wanted Miles, boosters wanted the 'other' guy. and the team/players suffer. another example of admin doing more bad than good

You'd think the boosters would but I think they are more concerned about the NCAA and Nickname and the possible move up to d-1 right now. If they are going d-1 are these guys legit d-1 coaches?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat May 13, 2006 9:40 am

good point. thing is whose to say Craig Smith isnt the guy to take you through the transition IF they go D1. Either way it seems NOT interviewing Smith is tough to understand. It doesnt sound like d1 is happening real soon, so having a guy like Smith for a few years could really help the BB program....

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat May 13, 2006 8:35 pm

good point. thing is whose to say Craig Smith isnt the guy to take you through the transition IF they go D1. Either way it seems NOT interviewing Smith is tough to understand. It doesnt sound like d1 is happening real soon, so having a guy like Smith for a few years could really help the BB program....

Totally agree with ya I don't understand why they don't interview him either. Was Bunning not their when Mayville beat UND this year? In my mind Smith is a duplicate of Tim Miles. When Miles was at MaSU they had very good teams, he leaves they bring in another guy layten or something like that and they stink. The first year Smith comes into Mayville the year before i think they only won like 1 game Smiths first year I think they won 20 or more games. Just think of the type of players he could recruit at UND they could be really good.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun May 14, 2006 4:38 am

Here's a column from Mike McFeely of the Forum. If this doesn't leave ya shaking your head about these choices. Heck Betty Rolston was even a reference to the high school coach. Who is Betty Rolston anyway????? Can a UND guy give me this answer??? and why is she part of this committee????

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=126814�ion=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely
Last edited by ndfan on Sun May 14, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri May 19, 2006 10:31 am

Brian Jones is the New head basketball coach at the University of North Dakota. Thoughts anybody?

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mbb ... SE_ID=4937
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gabe » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:17 pm

The Sioux just lost to Moorhead State so I'm not too impressed. :)
gabe

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges