Tim Miles

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby rep » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:12 pm

tough call...i haven't seen enough of smith to know if he could 'grow' a program past bringing in juco guys. that said, i would have to think that he would definately be a consideration.

and realistically, i don't know if anyone would expect 'big things' out of a division 1's first coach. basically i would assume that he would just try and set the ground work and make sure that no one made the school/program look stupid.

unless they would open the job nationally and bring in an assistant from somewhere else, i would have to believe he is probably at the top of the list.
rep

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I could totally see Smith being coach at NDSU, I believe he was an assistant under Miles. Miles also coached at Mayville State and both had the same success in Mayville. Also he may be a finalist but it doesn't mean he will have to take the job, but he could use it to his advantage if NDSU really wants to keep him $$$$$$$. I also heard Rich Glas might be heading to Northern Iowa also to be an assistant coach to Ben Jacobson Smiths name has been mentioned their to I believe. But as of right now I'm not worried about Miles leaving but definitely could happen.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby timmyg » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 pm

word around mayville is that if und opens up they want smith, whether or not he'll take it i haven't heard.  i've heard that smith really likes mayville, the community, etc., but i don't see how a guy pulling down what he is at mayville could pass up an UND or NDSU job...just too much money not to (compared to mayville at least).  i would imagine that if miles does go to unc-w smith would have to be seriously considered, because he was an assistant there under miles.  mayville has produced some very good coaches.  I do, however, wonder what is going to happen in mayville if smith does leave: will players follow him?  transfer?  who will they bring in, it's not like mayville can offer a fat contract.  it'll be interesting to see how this pans out, either way smith and miles will be running good programs.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:27 am

Can you imagine what leaving NDSU would do to Miles reputation among players? They talk, past, present, and future. They talk. The promises he made to the fab-5 freshman at NDSU. I don't blame him for looking, but his reputation would take somewhat of a hit amongst players...they must commit...so does the coach. What he say's to current recruits about leaving would be legit. But the guy's that are there. My oh my
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:04 am

I'm not sure whether it's common knowledge or not, but Smith is a UND grad. I think he'd be a great fit for the UND program, as not only is he a grad, but he's from very nearby (Stephen, MN). And make no mistake about it, Glas is gone. The rumor is that he would have been fired once the division I decision is made, anyway. He hasn't won anything of note since Greg McDermott left in the mid-90's.
Last edited by UND9296 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:20 am

Miles is a very good coach. Should he leave, you can't argue with someone persuing oppurtunities that present themselves in their lives. I think this is a great oppurtunity for him. It will be sad to see NDSU lose a quality coach but that is the nature of the business. Miles gave those players a chance to play Division 1 basketball and nobody can take that away from them. They still have a chance to do those things Miles promised, but it will be without him. I really don't see how you can blame a guy for going after something that will better suit whatever goals it is he is hoping to achieve in his life.

I am and have been a huge Rich Glas fan, but I do think it is time for change. Northern Iowa with Ben Jacobson presents a great oppurtunity for him, and a chance for the UND Mens' Basketball team to start a new. Smith would be a great fit at here or NDSU.

It is sad to see talent leave ND, but it is also good to know that some other dedicated and quality coach will finally get the chance they deserve at the next level.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:06 pm

NDPreps All-Conference

Postby timmyg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:39 pm

i think its safe to say the $100,000 at NDSU would probably be triple what miles is making in mayville.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:56 pm

[user=410]timmyg[/user] wrote:
i think its safe to say the $100,000 at NDSU would probably be triple what miles is making in mayville.

You mean Smith right? Anyway NDSU needs to do whatever it can to keep Miles at NDSU. He is loved down in the Minneapolis area KFAN's PA and DUBAY just love him and he has been on their show numerous times which is great for NDSU in recruiting their. PA and DUBAY have constantly bashed Munson and the Gophers basketball program the past few weeks which could help in recruiting also. If NDSU wants to be serious in D-1 basketball then they are gonna need to spend money to keep quality coaches this isn't d-2 anymore. SO PAY THE MAN. It will be awesome to see what can come of these freshmen in the next few years. But if he does leave Craig Smith would be a great fit.
As for UND I am just gonna throw this name out for the coaching position but wouldn't ever happen is Dave Vonesh former UND player has HS coaching experience no college which might hurt him but I think he'd do a great job their. But again it won't happen but i'd love to see it :).
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby timmyg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm

yea smith, my bad.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Here's a link to CAA message board talking about Tim Miles. Doesn't sound like they really want a guy from the Dakota's to coach their team. East coast Bias.

http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Andy Katz had this to say in his blog of a possible replacement if he leaves.

If Miles gets the UNCW job, look for former Wisconsin assistant and current NDSU assistant Saul Phillips to be in the mix to replace him at NDSU.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Sounds like Coach Miles has been offered the UNC-Wilmington job. He has not made a decision yet on whether he will take it or not. I really do hope he sticks at NDSU but congrats on being offered the job.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:57 am

Yep, thats what I've been reading today.  :)
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedWings7 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Miles IS staying at NDSU, which is extremely good news for that program. they are lucky to have a coach like that
RedWings7

Postby 1337 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:57 am

This is definitely a good thing for NDSU, though I do find it odd how it all went down. :?
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges