Bohl on the move?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Bohl on the move?

Postby andy_7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:02 pm

With NDSU's great couple of seasons is there any chance he will get offered a D1A coaching spot? There are alot of coaching spots that are open and that will be open in the next few weeks.
andy_7

Re: Bohl on the move?

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:19 pm

mark may has sounded pretty confident that he will be at Nebraska next year...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundercat 99 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Definately could see that, he has ties to Nebraska. But there are other big names like Les Miles from LSU , and on ESPN they talked about Tom Osbourne coming back to coach to " restore the program for a few years".
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Miles is also said to be towards the top for the Michigan job...either way i think it would be stupid for him to leave Baton Rouge
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:21 pm

thundercat 99 wrote:Definately could see that, he has ties to Nebraska. But there are other big names like Les Miles from LSU , and on ESPN they talked about Tom Osbourne coming back to coach to " restore the program for a few years".

I think your thinking of the defensive coordinator for LSU, named Bo Pelini. He is Nebraska's top canidate for the job. He used to be the their D coordinator before Callahan arrived.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby thundercat 99 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 pm

You're right, miles is for Michigan's job, and your guy was who I was thinking of.
Thanks
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:00 pm

I don't think it would be a BCS conference top job. Maybe Duke in the ACC, he was there for a cup of coffee 20 years ago. Colorado State was a thought be word on the Dan Hammer show was nobody had inquired into NDSU ADs office for permission to talk with Bohl today. He was run out of Nebraska, so that seems a reach. Maybe a Cincinnati type job of Brian Kelly moves up?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 pm

I dont think he will leave NDSU unless he gets offered a BCS job. Why would he go to a mid-major team when he can win an FCS Title? Texas A&M and Arkansas aren't out of the question. Cincinnati possibly because they're on the rise and in the Big East. Colorado St.? I am not sure about that but I think Bohl is looking for more than that. Washington St. seems like a good fit.

He wont end up at Nebraska because he was basically ran out of there, his defense didn't bode well with the fans and administration, remember the CU game in '02? or was it 01?

All in all I think Bohl will stay at least one more year, kind of model Jim Tressel like at YSU. I think Bohl loves it here in Fargo and this NDSU team has the potential to win some championships in the future.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Ming01 wrote:I dont think he will leave NDSU unless he gets offered a BCS job. Why would he go to a mid-major team when he can win an FCS Title? Texas A&M and Arkansas aren't out of the question. Cincinnati possibly because they're on the rise and in the Big East. Colorado St.? I am not sure about that but I think Bohl is looking for more than that. Washington St. seems like a good fit.

He wont end up at Nebraska because he was basically ran out of there, his defense didn't bode well with the fans and administration, remember the CU game in '02? or was it 01?

All in all I think Bohl will stay at least one more year, kind of model Jim Tressel like at YSU. I think Bohl loves it here in Fargo and this NDSU team has the potential to win some championships in the future.

BUT with no Walker, Mays etc. I think he will take something better, anything above MAC I think he goes. Say his team goes 7-4 next year then what does he have? Take away Walkers 2 miracles and maybe Bohl knows he's a couple plays away from not generating any 1A buzz?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:59 pm

If he is worth anything as a college coach he has athletes to replace Walker and Mays. Maybe not the same type of play maker but someone will step up and perform next year. Tyler R. may become a one man recking crew.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Even with great talent, the way it goes he might end up .500 the next couple years. Nick Mertens might have better tools at QB than Walker, but Walker had the moxy that single handily won 2 games/year. That is tough to predict. Same goes at LB with Mays. Sure he can be replaced...but all I'm saying is when the stock hits the ceiling, you sell.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:14 pm

point/center wrote:Even with great talent, the way it goes he might end up .500 the next couple years. Nick Mertens might have better tools at QB than Walker, but Walker had the moxy that single handily won 2 games/year. That is tough to predict. Same goes at LB with Mays. Sure he can be replaced...but all I'm saying is when the stock hits the ceiling, you sell.

I dont think there's any reason to believe NDSU will finish .500 next season, they return the most starters and lose the least amount of seniors then any current top 10 teams in the FCS. Yeah, Nick Mertens is no Steve Walker, but it;s not like he has no talent around him. Still have the 3 RB's (Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe), plenty of talented WR's, 2 good linemen (good backups too), plus the defense will be even better, yeah Mays is gone but they still have Maresh and Humber and Tyler Henry maybe even new recruit Greg Reid will start at MLB are great to fill in for him. The secondary is pretty much all back as well. I would say 9-3 at worst next season. I think they'll be fine.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Ming01 wrote:
point/center wrote:Even with great talent, the way it goes he might end up .500 the next couple years. Nick Mertens might have better tools at QB than Walker, but Walker had the moxy that single handily won 2 games/year. That is tough to predict. Same goes at LB with Mays. Sure he can be replaced...but all I'm saying is when the stock hits the ceiling, you sell.

I dont think there's any reason to believe NDSU will finish .500 next season, they return the most starters and lose the least amount of seniors then any current top 10 teams in the FCS. Yeah, Nick Mertens is no Steve Walker, but it;s not like he has no talent around him. Still have the 3 RB's (Roehl, Paschall, Blincoe), plenty of talented WR's, 2 good linemen (good backups too), plus the defense will be even better, yeah Mays is gone but they still have Maresh and Humber and Tyler Henry maybe even new recruit Greg Reid will start at MLB are great to fill in for him. The secondary is pretty much all back as well. I would say 9-3 at worst next season. I think they'll be fine.

Roehl is an injury waiting to happen. Wasnt Paschall suspended for a game? Sounds like some issues there. That's thin at RB. Untested QB. Nope. I say they play .500 ball next year. Where are the cupcakes in that schedule?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm

The RB's are loaded and getting everyone back and also adding the coveted DJ McNorton. Mertons is not Walker (a future Bison HOF'er), but he'll be fine. Gene Taylor will not have the team playing any FBS teams this year and he's stated that they hope to have 7 home games, which appears likely. Chalk that up as at least 7 wins. 8 wins might be enough to get you in the playoffs.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:06 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:The RB's are loaded and getting everyone back and also adding the coveted DJ McNorton. Mertons is not Walker (a future Bison HOF'er), but he'll be fine. Gene Taylor will not have the team playing any FBS teams this year and he's stated that they hope to have 7 home games, which appears likely. Chalk that up as at least 7 wins. 8 wins might be enough to get you in the playoffs.

but going back to the topic subject of Bohl moving on. 7-8-9 wins doesnt put him head and shoulders above the rest of the field in terms of advancing as a coach into the IA level. Alot of chatter today about some of the top 1A assistants Pelini, Fisher etc getting shots to move into HC and some of the NFL..Kiffin...moving back to college. Maybe Bohls next job comes out of nowhere ala Miles did?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:19 pm

He's not going anywhere this year. People can speculate all they want, but with the current openings he is not going to any of them.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:28 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:He's not going anywhere this year. People can speculate all they want, but with the current openings he is not going to any of them.

not a given scenario but something like Brian Kelly at Cincy...if a situation like that happens. he is GONE...

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

point/center wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:He's not going anywhere this year. People can speculate all they want, but with the current openings he is not going to any of them.

not a given scenario but something like Brian Kelly at Cincy...if a situation like that happens. he is GONE...

And I do agree with you. The current openings and he's not going anywhere. I say he WANTS to go. If he didnt, we'd here him publicly say he wants to stay to make the playoffs or win a championship type talk.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Probably because crazy things happen and if he came out and stated something like that, than a job like Colorado opened up, or Kansas St. he'd look like a lier if he interviewed there.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 pm

Here's Pat Fordes article on coaching vacancies. Coach Bohl not mentioned anywhere, not saying it isn't a possibility but I would be surprised if he isn't back at NDSU next season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... ortCat=ncf
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gabe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 am

WDAY News confirmed that NDSU Athletic Director Gene Tayler said he has not been contacted by ANY school about the availablity of Coach Craig Bohl. It'a all media speculation. Not that it matters. NDSU won 8 Championships before Bohl came along.
gabe

Postby gabe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 am

point/center wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:The RB's are loaded and getting everyone back and also adding the coveted DJ McNorton. Mertons is not Walker (a future Bison HOF'er), but he'll be fine. Gene Taylor will not have the team playing any FBS teams this year and he's stated that they hope to have 7 home games, which appears likely. Chalk that up as at least 7 wins. 8 wins might be enough to get you in the playoffs.

but going back to the topic subject of Bohl moving on. 7-8-9 wins doesnt put him head and shoulders above the rest of the field in terms of advancing as a coach into the IA level. Alot of chatter today about some of the top 1A assistants Pelini, Fisher etc getting shots to move into HC and some of the NFL..Kiffin...moving back to college. Maybe Bohls next job comes out of nowhere ala Miles did?

Winning multiple National Championships over the next 4-5 years will put him in position to be the next head coach at Nebraska. This team is good enough to win it all so it would be silly to leave now because the stock will go higher.
gabe

Postby point/center » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 am

gabe wrote:
point/center wrote:

Winning multiple National Championships over the next 4-5 years will put him in position to be the next head coach at Nebraska. This team is good enough to win it all so it would be silly to leave now because the stock will go higher.

you very well might be right....BUT...what's done is reality. And the future is pure speculation. All I'm saying is like any job. If you get the right offer, there's no reason to sit back and think maybe something better will come along. To risky.

I saw on one blog that Bohl did make a mention in the Colorado St. opening, would assume the way recruiting pressure something should shake out if it does by January.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby andy_7 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 pm

I myself see Bohl on the move this year. With the mid-major schools getting the chance to play BCS bowl games why wouldn't you take the job? I'm pretty sure that he will not be offered any major BCS coaching position while he is at NDSU, so why not go to a team in the Mountain West that seems to be getting BCS recegnition like colorado st?
andy_7

Postby cubsfan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Bohl's stay at ND may come to an end next year after they win a FCS National Championship!!
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges