23%
UND vs. USD
No votes
USD vs. SDSU
No votes

Total votes : 39

Best Rivalry in the Dakotas

Postby ndfan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:08 am

Alright somebody around here thinks that SDSU and NDSU is the best rivalry in the Dakotas?? But I don't think thats even close even with NDSU not playing UND the past five years. The hatred these schools have for each other is at all time new and when they start playing again the games are gonna be even better then they were before in my opinion. NDSU and SDSU will be a great rivalry but sorry I just don't believe it will ever be the best rivalry in dakotas in my opinion. Vote and let me hear what ya think about it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Best Rivalry in the Dakotas

Postby Ming01 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:37 pm

NDSU/SDSU is a new and emerging rivalry. Both are up and coming FCS programs and the attendance numbers says it all:

Record NDSU crowd: 19,053 - South Dakota State 11/18/2006
Record SDSU crowd: 16,345 - North Dakota State 11/17/2007

not really close to UND/NDSU attendance numbers...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:55 pm

UND - NDSU is best in regards to the competition on the field.

UND - NDSU is by far the worst when it comes to behavior of the fans.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:04 pm

If UND and NDSU aren't playing each other again by next year when they are both D-1, they are both nuts. That rivalry needs to be resumed post-haste. They both need the gate, and the alums need the opportunity to resume the trash talk.

Even though they won't be in the same conferences, can you imagine the buzz if they play each other next September? And if they resume the basketball series? (even though the men's game wouldn't be real competitive at this point, in my opinion)

Bring back Sioux-Bison NOW!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:46 am

NDSU-UND, there is no contest among the best rivalry in the Dakotas.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tcbison » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:59 pm

When teams don't play every year I can't see how it is call a rivalry. NDSU and UND haven't played since 2002 so the rivarly doesn't exist. The best rivalry in the Dakotas is NDSU/SDSU.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Hinsa wrote:If UND and NDSU aren't playing each other again by next year when they are both D-1, they are both nuts. That rivalry needs to be resumed post-haste. They both need the gate, and the alums need the opportunity to resume the trash talk.

Even though they won't be in the same conferences, can you imagine the buzz if they play each other next September? And if they resume the basketball series? (even though the men's game wouldn't be real competitive at this point, in my opinion)

Bring back Sioux-Bison NOW!

Actually, NDSU sold out every home game expect one this season, so they don't need UND for the gate. NDSU is working on having 7 home game next year and that will really help out. UND counts as a DII team next year and NDSU doesn't want any DII teams on the schedule to hurt their playoff chances.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

It depends what type of rivalry it is. Many NDSU fans have said how great the rivalry with SDSU is because we go out for drinks after the game and we want SDSU to do great as long as they don't play us. Since they moved up together, they look at each other as friends on and off the field. And thats fine. Everyone has a rival like that. UND-USD is like that. I traveled down there this year and it had a fun atmosphere to it that other games don't have.

However, most major rivalries in football are not like the ones previously mentioned. They are bred from hate, contempt, and even distrust. UND-NDSU might have been tame for a while but if it gets started up again, it will be of this variety. This is when you want to see that smug team that did you wrong lose. This is the game fights nearly break out on the field. If you ask me, you need both types but this one is by far the crown jewel. This is the type of game you key on for the season. I hope to see both types on NDSU's and UND's schedule in the future. As for attendance records, the popularity of NDSU and SDSU football has risen since they announced they were going D1, as indicated by higher attendance figures. DO you not think UND might see an increase after the move? Comparing 2007 figures to 2002 figures is like comparing apples and watermelons.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Bring back the Wooden Nickle!!!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:53 pm

cubsfan wrote:NDSU-UND, there is no contest among the best rivalry in the Dakotas.

Well it looks like you need to go to an NDSU/SDSU game then
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby gabe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 am

SDSU and NDSU are each others biggest rivalries. UND doesn't have a rivalry so they look to NDSU who doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

NDSU and SDSU set record crowds when they played each other and the atmosphere is much more intense than when NDSU/UND ever played. It's a different type of rivalry and they respect each other. They have gone through the transition together.

NDSU has sold out darn near every game without UND on the schedule. On the same day as UND draws 5,000 for a playoff game, NDSU brought 7,000 fans to SDSU in below freezing weather.
gabe

Postby cubsfan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Ming01 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:NDSU-UND, there is no contest among the best rivalry in the Dakotas.

Well it looks like you need to go to an NDSU/SDSU game then

Actually, I have been to 2 of them. I am related to their starting qb, and first hand that it is way more friendly than some people think. But I will say that NDSU/SDSU is the biggest rivalry right now in the Dakotas.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 pm

that maybe true but when UND and NDSU begin to play again, they will definately be the biggest rivalry in the Dakotas. those game get so out of hand for the fans. in North Dakota anyway your either a Sioux fan or a Bison fan. there is no exceptions and the talent being put on the field between both schools just makes for a great rivalry
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsking09 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:23 pm

i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:32 am

sportsking09 wrote:i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )

other than this year, the Gophers have dominated the Sioux at the Ralph for the last several seasons
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:30 am

NDSU and SDSU is becoming quite the rivalry...but it can't get any better than UND and NDSU!
project-pat

Postby sportsking09 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 am

baseball18 wrote:
sportsking09 wrote:i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )

other than this year, the Gophers have dominated the Sioux at the Ralph for the last several seasons

so baseball18 did you happen to see the sioux gopher series over the weekend, looks like the sioux are still unbeaten 9 games and counting. and...oh wait... who did they beat, oh thats right it was the minnesota gophers, and anyone who watched that game can agree with me, those were two of the best rivalry intense games in years(both games went into OT)
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:45 am

sportsking09 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:

so baseball18 did you happen to see the sioux gopher series over the weekend, looks like the sioux are still unbeaten 9 games and counting. and...oh wait... who did they beat, oh thats right it was the minnesota gophers, and anyone who watched that game can agree with me, those were two of the best rivalry intense games in years(both games went into OT)

Correct me if I'm wrong but he said at "the Ralph" which is in Grand Forks not Minneapolis. which they have
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Ming01, correct me if im wrong, but what was my initial statement...hmmm lets read [i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )]. now ming01 can you tell me where I mention the englestad, because when i made my initial statement it had nothin to do with the ralph, it was the biggest rivalry...hmm stumped aren't ya
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:26 am

sportsking09 wrote:Ming01, correct me if im wrong, but what was my initial statement...hmmm lets read [i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )]. now ming01 can you tell me where I mention the englestad, because when i made my initial statement it had nothin to do with the ralph, it was the biggest rivalry...hmm stumped aren't ya

I wasn't responding to your initial statement. wow you really stumped me... Don't put words in my mouth! I DIDNT SAY YOU MENTIONED THE RALPH. I said baseball18 did. It's called reading, we started it in kindergarten. you said "the sioux always come out victorious", and we all know that isnt the case, esp. at the ralph in recent years. baseball18 said the gophers have dominated the sioux at the ralph the last several seasons with the exception of this season, which is right.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Ming01 wrote:
sportsking09 wrote:Ming01, correct me if im wrong, but what was my initial statement...hmmm lets read [i am suprised no one has mentioned the real NUMBER 1 rivalry in the Dakotas- The University of Fighting Sioux Hockey v.s. The University of Minnnesota Golden Gophers ( the sioux always come out victorious )]. now ming01 can you tell me where I mention the englestad, because when i made my initial statement it had nothin to do with the ralph, it was the biggest rivalry...hmm stumped aren't ya

I wasn't responding to your initial statement. wow you really stumped me... Don't put words in my mouth! I DIDNT SAY YOU MENTIONED THE RALPH. I said baseball18 did. It's called reading, we started it in kindergarten. you said "the sioux always come out victorious", and we all know that isnt the case, esp. at the ralph in recent years. baseball18 said the gophers have dominated the sioux at the ralph the last several seasons with the exception of this season, which is right.

I love when sioux and bison fans get mad at each other on message boards its great.... It makes the rivalry that much more fun... Keep it up guys :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 am

The Sioux will burry the bison in 2010 when hey play each other in football
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:48 pm

this is no match its definatly NDSU vs. UND thier is no comparison and now that they havnt played in the past 5 years the rivalry is getting better because fans are itching to see them play again.
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:40 pm

How is it UND-NDSU? That's not even a rivalry any more, it's easily NDSU-SDSU
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby champs0607 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:56 pm

if und and ndsu actually played eachother there'd b no hesitation in pick that rivalry. but they don't, its died down so i'll say ndsu-sdsu
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges