NDSU Bison vs Florida Gators

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 pm

The Bison have a good chance to knock off the defending national champions in college basketball, the Florida Gators on November 9th.

So how crazy will things be around the athletic department if they manage to pull this off?  I imagine with every big win Erv Innigers fundraising job becomes a little easier.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 am

Who does Florida have now this year?  I know they lost their starting 5 to the NBA and graduation last year, but you don't win back to back championships and not get good recruits coming in.  I can't see the Bison winning this one because I'm sure Florida has a lot more talent, but wouldn't it be headlines if they did!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 am

walter hodge, marreese speights, and jai lucas is a solid recruit.  Florida will be argueably the youngest team in the country with an 11 man roster containing no seniors and only 1 junior (Hodge). and 7 of the 11 are freshman.  If it were played anywhere but Florida i would bet on NDSU but since its there i have to go with Florida even with their youth.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Who does Florida have now this year?  I know they lost their starting 5 to the NBA and graduation last year, but you don't win back to back championships and not get good recruits coming in.  I can't see the Bison winning this one because I'm sure Florida has a lot more talent, but wouldn't it be headlines if they did!
The Bison are going to have a very difficult time matching up with 6-11, 245-pound sophomore Marreese Speights (4.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg), a very big and physical kid in which the bison have had a very tough time containg players like this.  As far as recruits go they have Jai Lucas who averaged 26.3 points and 7.5 assists last season, earning McDonald's and Parade All-American honors.  6-6 Nick Calathes Parade All-American, McDonald's All-American, Gatorade Player of the Year in Florida and Mr. Basketball in Florida, they also have 6-9 Chandler Parsons who was a teamate of Calathes.
What's going to make the difference in this game is the experience that the bison bring in, they know how to play in crucial game situations and Florida is probably going to have at least 3 freshman starting for them this year with no experience.  Another thing is that the bison are not going to let any team blow them out because they come into games and just simply battle against bigger,stronger,more athletic teams and they dont ever quit.
Last edited by Mr. Knowitall on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Re: NDSU Bison vs Florida Gators

Postby Ming01 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Florida has a big advantage with size and their freshman class is probably the best since Noah, Horford, Richards, Green, and Brewer came. Their freshman talent is very good and should give fits and match up problems to NDSU. But the one thing NDSU has on them is experience and it does indeed help that they've played in big games before. I am expecting a close game the whole way but Florida will pull it out.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:20 am

I think NDSU has a legitimate chance of winning this game, and i got them in a close one...and not just because i'm a bison at heart 8)
project-pat

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 am

Talk on the Bison board has them looking very good right now in practice. And the guys who will see time for the departed Andre Smith are looking good too. The depth will be better this year, I'm guessing and I think this game is definitely a good chance to catch them before they've had a chance to gel.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gabe » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:22 am

More press for NDSU!

There will be highlights on ESPN and if we win, it will be headline news. Huge for the state of ND! Probably not as big as when we were top story on ESPN.com after we beat Wisconsin but HUGE!

Here are some other cool highlights of NDSU hoops. It not cool that we lost a close game to Kansas St but check out the atmosphere at the Bison Sports Arena! THis is big time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROHdK3kAhI
gabe

Postby basketballer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:05 am

NDSportsFan wrote:Talk on the Bison board has them looking very good right now in practice. And the guys who will see time for the departed Andre Smith are looking good too. The depth will be better this year, I'm guessing and I think this game is definitely a good chance to catch them before they've had a chance to gel.

i agree, while 4 of the 5 starters for the bison have played together for 2 years, the young florida team probably won't be as "together" as the bison.
basketballer

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Game is on Friday anybody got some predictions on how it goes? I don't think Florida comes in to over confidnent knowing some of the teams NDSU has knocked off the past couple years and the young guys are gonna wanna make a good impression. I think Florida wins by 10 to 15 points
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Sorry folks, but the Bison go down by 20+. This is freakin' FLORIDA for cryin' out loud! In Florida. Much as I'd like to see it, the upset just ain't going to happen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Hinsa wrote:Sorry folks, but the Bison go down by 20+. This is freakin' FLORIDA for cryin' out loud! In Florida. Much as I'd like to see it, the upset just ain't going to happen.

Not so fast, remember Wisconsin, how about Marquette? Florida will most likely win but you can never count NDSU out.

Also, this game is on the mid-continent channel around the state.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:51 am

I think there's a difference though between beating a highly ranked team from the upper midwest that happens to have a high ranking vs beating a 2 time defending national champ. Even though Florida lost a lot to graduation their recruiting power has got to be immense. If they pull off the upset it has to rank up there with the Appalachian/Michigan upset.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:05 pm

ndfan wrote:Game is on Friday anybody got some predictions on how it goes? I don't think Florida comes in to over confidnent knowing some of the teams NDSU has knocked off the past couple years and the young guys are gonna wanna make a good impression. I think Florida wins by 10 to 15 points

Im going to make a bold prediction and say that NDSU comes out on top 74 to 70.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby basketballer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:35 pm

ndfan wrote:Game is on Friday anybody got some predictions on how it goes? I don't think Florida comes in to over confidnent knowing some of the teams NDSU has knocked off the past couple years and the young guys are gonna wanna make a good impression. I think Florida wins by 10 to 15 points

I will take Florida by 5-10 points. NDSU will keep up with them IF they can keep Florida's big guys in check, and will possibly beat them if NDSU do good offensively as well as that.
basketballer

Postby Ming01 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 pm

If Tim Miles is still their coach I predict an NDSU win, but I just dont think they'll get it done. Florida 71 NDSU 66
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:05 pm

Gardner Webb (Div I since 2000) beat Kentucky

Finley (Division II) beat Ohio St

Grand Valley State (Div II) beat Michigan in 2OT

Another small DI school beat UCONN

All of these upsets have happened in the last week. Who says small NDSU can't go down to Florida and knock off the big time Gators?!?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 pm

[quote="Deuce" If they pull off the upset it has to rank up there with the Appalachian/Michigan upset.[/quote]

Awesome! I better have my VCR programmed to record ESPN.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby thundercat 99 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Gardner Webb (Div I since 2000) beat Kentucky

All of these upsets have happened in the last week. Who says small NDSU can't go down to Florida and knock off the big time Gators?!?

With all the upsets in college sports this year, who says NDSU cant beat them? Although this win would be a huge one for NDSU and North Dakota, the national media wont make as big of deal as when they beat Wisconson because of all the other upsets
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:39 pm

thundercat 99 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Gardner Webb (Div I since 2000) beat Kentucky

With all the upsets in college sports this year, who says NDSU cant beat them? Although this win would be a huge one for NDSU and North Dakota, the national media wont make as big of deal as when they beat Wisconson because of all the other upsets

Don't agree with you at all that that this wouldn't be a big deal with national media. Beat the TWO time defending national champions, your gonna get a lot more talk then when they beat Wisconsin. ESPN will eat up little guy beating the defending national champs. Also Saul was on PA & Dubay the other day which is a pretty popular sports talk radio show in the Twin Cities said if NDSU won that game they would start Mondays show off talking about the Bison for the first 35 minutes of the show. How big would that be for recruiting near the cities? In my mind it would be huge since NDSU's roster consists of alot of Minnesota kids. Be huge recruiting other places if you can say you beat Florida. This will/could be the biggest win in North Dakota Basketball history in my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rez01 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Should be a close game. Florida lost their whole team last year and this year is going to count on their Freshman. Sure they're really good Freshman, but I think NDSU will come out and surprise them.
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 am

k for the people saying they wont get as much press as they did when they beat Wisconsin is a joke. Wisconsin was barely a top 25 team who had a long winning streak at home. Florida may not be preseason top 25 but the fact that they are back-to-back defending national championships will get the press itself.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 am

Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:05 pm

not a good first half for the bison

39-25 at the break