Who thinks the Fighting logo and nickname should be changed?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Keep the logo and name or change it

Change it
11
31%
Keep it
24
69%
 
Total votes : 35

Postby member01 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

I am for the nickname and logo
member01
 

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 9:19 am

member01 wrote:I am for the nickname and logo

AGREED
project-pat
 

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 10:49 am

project-pat wrote:
member01 wrote:I am for the nickname and logo

AGREED

Why the change in Avatar?  Didn't your quote go along with your Avatar?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
project-pat wrote:
member01 wrote:I am for the nickname and logo

AGREED

Why the change in Avatar?  Didn't your quote go along with your Avatar?

haha i guess your right, i just thought i'd rep UND for a bit
project-pat
 

Postby member01 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:29 am

the name should always be the fighting sioux
member01
 

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri May 11, 2007 7:20 am

So the question is now, should UND live with the sanctions of not being able to ever host playoff games and keep the name, or not?   What should they do?
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 am

Does this only effect play-offs?  If so, how do they enforce, do they fine, or suspend?  I guess I am unclear to what the NCAA set?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby hockey4life » Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 am

I don't think the name should be changed. I always thought that by calling them the "Fighting Sioux" it meant Bravery and Leadership. I think that it is by no means hostile and abusive let it be. They're honoring you not trying to humiliate you.
Last edited by hockey4life on Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Postby ndfan » Thu May 17, 2007 1:54 pm

[user=232]Indians Alumni[/user] wrote:
Does this only effect play-offs?  If so, how do they enforce, do they fine, or suspend?  I guess I am unclear to what the NCAA set?


Yeah it only effects them in playoff games.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Mayville

Postby tcbison » Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 am

The more important question is for ndfan. Who is that on your avatar?
User avatar
tcbison
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:39 am

Postby ndfan » Fri May 18, 2007 3:22 pm

[user=923]tcbison[/user] wrote:
The more important question is for ndfan. Who is that on your avatar?


Well tcbison since your a bison fan all give ya her name... It's Alison Stokke a 18 year old senior somewhere out in California. Believe she will be doing track for Cal. Anyways yeah she's my new crush :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Mayville

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 5:34 am

hockey4life wrote:I don't think the name should be changed. I always thought that by calling them the "Fighting Sioux" it meant Bravery and Leadership. I think that it is by no means hostile and abusive let it be. They're honoring you not trying to humiliate you.

Well, they can take their so call honor else where!  I don't feel honored because you wear a patch or logo on  your jersey's! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby Ming01 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:44 am

hockey4life wrote:I don't think the name should be changed. I always thought that by calling them the "Fighting Sioux" it meant Bravery and Leadership. I think that it is by no means hostile and abusive let it be. They're honoring you not trying to humiliate you.

[font=Arial][font=verdana]Honoring people because of their war-like abilities gives the impression that Native Americans are relics, existing only in the past[/font].  [/font][font=verdana]I'd have to say the logo only creates stereotypes and demeans the cultures.[/font]
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon May 21, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Postby hockey4life » Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
hockey4life wrote:I don't think the name should be changed. I always thought that by calling them the "Fighting Sioux" it meant Bravery and Leadership. I think that it is by no means hostile and abusive let it be. They're honoring you not trying to humiliate you.

Well, they can take their so call honor else where!  I don't feel honored because you wear a patch or logo on  your jersey's! 

You've got to be kidding me. Why don't you go complain some where else. Just because you think the name is "hostile" doesn't mean that every other person on here does. So just stop complaining
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 am

 He has a right to state his opinion on here, as does everyone else.
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:24 am

hockey4life wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
hockey4life wrote:I don't think the name should be changed. I always thought that by calling them the "Fighting Sioux" it meant Bravery and Leadership. I think that it is by no means hostile and abusive let it be. They're honoring you not trying to humiliate you.

Well, they can take their so call honor else where!  I don't feel honored because you wear a patch or logo on  your jersey's! 

You've got to be kidding me. Why don't you go complain some where else. Just because you think the name is "hostile" doesn't mean that every other person on here does. So just stop complaining

If you call standing up in what I believe complaining, I guess I am a complainer.  Hockey4life, This is the hostilitiy I was talking about against Native Americans that oppose the name.  You just displayed a perfect example of what Native Americans hear when they stand up for their rights
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby hockey4life » Mon May 21, 2007 10:32 am

Well it seems like that's all you do on this website is complain about this or that. oh the name isn't getting changed. "well i'm unhappy". get on with life
Last edited by hockey4life on Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 am

To be totally honest with you, I don't ever see how I was complaining.  I gave my opinion about how using the logo and mascot is bad.  In your arguement, I could say that you are complaining all the time about everyone who opposes the name. 

I am not trying to out do you, infact, I am trying to help you understand why the us of the name is hostile or racist.  I have openned my mind to your side, infact, I used to support the use of the name, but as I educated myself more, I learned that the use of the name is hostile and abusive and racist.  I am looking to be treated as an equal, and reducing me to a mascot or logo is not being treated as equal
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby baller01 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:40 am

Indians Alumni wrote:To be totally honest with you, I don't ever see how I was complaining.  I gave my opinion about how using the logo and mascot is bad.  In your arguement, I could say that you are complaining all the time about everyone who opposes the name. 

I am not trying to out do you, infact, I am trying to help you understand why the us of the name is hostile or racist.  I have openned my mind to your side, infact, I used to support the use of the name, but as I educated myself more, I learned that the use of the name is hostile and abusive and racist.  I am looking to be treated as an equal, and reducing me to a mascot or logo is not being treated as equal

How come you feel reduced to a mascot or logo but the Irish don't?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
User avatar
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Postby hockey4life » Mon May 21, 2007 10:43 am

baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:To be totally honest with you, I don't ever see how I was complaining.  I gave my opinion about how using the logo and mascot is bad.  In your arguement, I could say that you are complaining all the time about everyone who opposes the name. 

I am not trying to out do you, infact, I am trying to help you understand why the us of the name is hostile or racist.  I have openned my mind to your side, infact, I used to support the use of the name, but as I educated myself more, I learned that the use of the name is hostile and abusive and racist.  I am looking to be treated as an equal, and reducing me to a mascot or logo is not being treated as equal

How come you feel reduced to a mascot or logo but the Irish don't?


or the Florida State Seminoles.

 
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:43 am

I cannot speak for them.  I can only speak for the UND mascot. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:45 am

FSU, works closely with the Seminole tribes, they support the local tribes with programs to promote education.  UND has done nothing of the sort.  Not one dime goes to the Native American Programs at UND.  They are all funded by the state or government.

 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby hockey4life » Mon May 21, 2007 10:46 am

Why because you are from the north. If it's not right for 1 school to have a "hostile name and mascot" then why should others be allowed to? you should be arguing for them too.
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 am

The reason I fight this fight is because this directly effects my tribe.  This is a mascot that represents my tribe. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby hockey4life » Mon May 21, 2007 10:50 am

Indians Alumni wrote:FSU, works closely with the Seminole tribes, they support the local tribes with programs to promote education.  UND has done nothing of the sort.  Not one dime goes to the Native American Programs at UND.  They are all funded by the state or government.

 

So 1 reason that you're mad is because of where the money goes ? And why you support other programs becuase they give native american programs money. and their name isn't hostile? can you try to keep your story straight
User avatar
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests