If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby Stromer » Wed May 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:First of all it is "O"ffended.  Second of all they did not use the Sioux name to honor us!  Do you think these backwards hillbillies thought, "what name could we use that will honor someone, How about the Fighting Sioux?"  They decided to name the school after the Sioux, because they killed bison. 

Just being a big baby?  I would beg to differ, I hold a four year degree, and I would rather use my mind to fight my battles, believe me I could use my physical attributes to fight my battles, but only dummies do that, and when I see something I strongly believe against, I stand up for it.  I hope that you do not spread your ignorance down to your children, if so I hope they educate themselves and understand the backwards ways you & others have displayed on this website.

It seems like IA is showing some of the traits that most nickname supporters show.  Why is he ignorant and why should his kids stand up against us.  Is it because you don't agree with us and since you are the majority you should always be right?  I don't get the reason behind calling somebody out because they don't agree with you.  You have an opinion and we have one.  They don't agree.  Learn to deal with it.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:I bet if und was to change it from the sioux to any other name in 5-10 years native americans would be complaining they are no longer being honored and especially if und won like 3 straight titles

and it was the gov that tried to eliminate you not und maybe und is trying to stick it to the man (gov) by honoring you

I will take that bet!  UND does not honor us!  I have yet to see any official from UND come and meet with the tribal Chairman or the district reps.  So I want you to tell me how they honor us?  Using the Likeness of our people as a logo?  I don't think so!  So take your so-called honor and stick it! 

That same government you are talking about is trying to get involved in keeping the Sioux name!  What kind of messeges are we sending our future leaders at UND? we are promoting racism and ignorance.  There is going to be a Pow Wow on the Spirit Lake Reservation this July.  I would like to extend an invitation to any UND officials to come and visit, or even represent UND.  If they are honoring us, I don't think they won't mind coming!  They can honor us there!

about 2 weeks ago, UND held a pow wow at memorial stadium on campus and there were a lot of na's and other people as well.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:affirmative action is a negative reaction, only racist consider race

It's funny that you bash Affirmative Action when you have a picture bashing Hilary Clinton, a female presidental candidate. It was set up for women too!  So we can conclude that you are a sexist too!?

i know that it is, i didn't say it doesn't involve women.

also, this is what affirmative action does to us, you call me a sexist because my avatar is poking fun at Hillary.  I don't agree with her and if she gets the Dem nomination I hope she gets dominated in the elections.  Don't accuse me of anything with no proof.  I could easily say some stereotypes of you, but I won't cuz it would be wrong.  Back to the point, if my avatar was poking fun at Obama, would you call me a racist?  This is why affirmative action has ruined our society. 

Why do you not agree with her?  I am asking seriously?  Maybe a change is needed.  Maybe a womans side is what this country needs.  I have been raised by a single parent, my mother, she is a very strong woman, and I think women have a strength that some men do not.  I hate to admit that, but it is true.  I think some men are intimidated by a strong woman. 

I do not agree with some of her stances... for example, I am not for the murdering of children.

Who the heck is for Murdering of Children?

abortion i think he is talkin about

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Stromer wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:First of all it is "O"ffended.  Second of all they did not use the Sioux name to honor us!  Do you think these backwards hillbillies thought, "what name could we use that will honor someone, How about the Fighting Sioux?"  They decided to name the school after the Sioux, because they killed bison. 

Just being a big baby?  I would beg to differ, I hold a four year degree, and I would rather use my mind to fight my battles, believe me I could use my physical attributes to fight my battles, but only dummies do that, and when I see something I strongly believe against, I stand up for it.  I hope that you do not spread your ignorance down to your children, if so I hope they educate themselves and understand the backwards ways you & others have displayed on this website.

It seems like IA is showing some of the traits that most nickname supporters show.  Why is he ignorant and why should his kids stand up against us.  Is it because you don't agree with us and since you are the majority you should always be right?  I don't get the reason behind calling somebody out because they don't agree with you.  You have an opinion and we have one.  They don't agree.  Learn to deal with it.

i dont really think they share any traits other than that they both state their opinions

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
member01 wrote:avoiding my question and information indians alumni, thats what i thought, you have nothing to say

Just because you trademarked it doesn't make it nonabusive, or hostile.  I guess the NCAA has agreed with me.  They find it to be hostile or abusive!  So your question was?  What if I had a logo with a farmer with a pitch fork.  called UND "the Farming Caucasians"! would you appreciate that?  I think there would be some of you, that find it offensive. 

Dude, go for it. I'm a farmer and I'd love to see it be the "Farming Caucasians". That would be sweet. ND is a rural, farming state, so why not make it that. It's a name. Not being used as an insult. Do you think the "Fighting Sioux" nickname was intended to be taken insultively? No. You are just being a big baby about it.

You might not be honored to have a school named after you, but you sure don't have to affended by it. I suppose if you look at everything with a racist attitude, you can find something racist about it.

You just have an attitude right now that you think just because you have ancestors who were treated so poorly (which they were) and you feel that we should all give you sympathy and pitty for anything that might be taken abusive or hostile. I guess I'd be really affended if it was the UND "Fighting Famers"...*sarcasim*

First of all it is "O"ffended.  Second of all they did not use the Sioux name to honor us!  Do you think these backwards hillbillies thought, "what name could we use that will honor someone, How about the Fighting Sioux?"  They decided to name the school after the Sioux, because they killed bison. 

first of all, so what if they chose it because they killed bison. and second of all, do you really believe the stuff that you type, i mean come on.

What makes it so hard to believe?  I know my culture and I honor it, I don't need you and others telling me that using the "Fighting Sioux" is honoring me!

I apologize for the use of Backwards Hillbillies.  It was used out of anger and you know what I am not going to let anger run what I say.  But I am not going to let ignorance stand.  Believe me you will have a debate on your hands if I disagree.

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm

This is not an issue of someones opinion.  It is an issue where race comes into play.  For example, I am sure you all would be up in arms if the nickname was "Fighting Honkies" or the "Crackers"  I am no way racist in anyway.  I treat people equally and fairly! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm

It was called "Time Out"!  I know of this pow wow, never seen or heard of one UND official there.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:20 pm

Stromer wrote:

I am not asking your children to stand up against you, I am asking them to stand up and educate themselves, stop the ignorance
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Here is the problem.  This is not a mascot like a Viking, Vikings have not existed for hundreds of years, yes their ancestors are alive and well but they not not make attempts to restore that way of life. (hopefully not, rape and pillage are not generally acceptable)

The Trojans long gone.  Spartans all 300 of them bit the bullet.

Irish tha is an entire country not a race of people and even so it is an Irish catholic school and having roomed with one in college fighting is about the best word to discribe him and he liked it.

Native Americans still exist, many times and in many places they attempt to recapture traditional values and ways of life through dance and dress.  Due to this fact, outsiders think "it must be ok for me to yell and jump around and act like them" .  This negates the fact that it is dance and the yelling has meaning, it is prayer in some cases, it is celebration, it is in morning.

The bottom line is it is more like telling Catholics they have to allow gay marriage in thier church then like many of the arguements presented. 

Some of you may think I have waffled.  Not really, I still question the time line and why if the name is offensive Native Americans can use it as a name.  And why if Indians is offensive why they can use that.  Kind of goes with the N word stuff.  I don't fully understand.  Not sure I will live long enough to get an exceptable answer.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 7:22 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:This is not an issue of someones opinion.  It is an issue where race comes into play.  For example, I am sure you all would be up in arms if the nickname was "Fighting Honkies" or the "Crackers"  I am no way racist in anyway.  I treat people equally and fairly! 

I personally would not care, because a nickname is a nickname and I'm not going to get worked up about it
project-pat

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm

project-pat wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:This is not an issue of someones opinion.  It is an issue where race comes into play.  For example, I am sure you all would be up in arms if the nickname was "Fighting Honkies" or the "Crackers"  I am no way racist in anyway.  I treat people equally and fairly! 

I personally would not care, because a nickname is a nickname and I'm not going to get worked up about it

Maybe not you, but I am sure there are some people out there that would be offended
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:This is not an issue of someones opinion.  It is an issue where race comes into play.  For example, I am sure you all would be up in arms if the nickname was "Fighting Honkies" or the "Crackers"  I am no way racist in anyway.  I treat people equally and fair

i wouldnt be mad, i dont call myself a cracker and neither do white people so why would we get mad. just like the Sioux people arent Sioux, they are Dakota, or Lakota so they shouldnt be getting mad either. i would be honored to some degree because my race would be in the name of a school.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:25 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
project-pat wrote:

Maybe not you, but I am sure there are some people out there that would be offended

the only people that would care are the liberals that just want to have their voice heard because they can speak out. they dont really care why
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:28 pm

I believe the ignorance will live a long time.  You will never understand, because you have never lived a life where racism is present.  You will never understand and it is not your fault.  I hold no grudge, I do hold you accountable for not educating yourself about the so called honor you bestow upon me with the mascot!

I am not a mascot, I am not a sticker on a helmet, I am a human being and I will not rest until I am recognized as such!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 pm

Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
project-pat wrote:

the only people that would care are the liberals that just want to have their voice heard because they can speak out. they dont really care why

The diffence I have is, I care why!  I care!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
project-pat wrote:

The diffence I have is, I care why!  I care!

i wasnt talking about you, i just mean that the liberals out there that just bring up stuff just to bring it up and dont really have a reasoning behind it but just for the sake of argument
Last edited by Roughrider on Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:I believe the ignorance will live a long time.  You will never understand, because you have never lived a life where racism is present.  You will never understand and it is not your fault.  I hold no grudge, I do hold you accountable for not educating yourself about the so called honor you bestow upon me with the mascot!

I am not a mascot, I am not a sticker on a helmet, I am a human being and I will not rest until I am recognized as such!

I haven't seen one person say that you weren't a human being? How is the nickname saying that you aren't even people?
project-pat

Postby Stromer » Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 pm

Somewhere along the line the meaning of this honor got lost.  When the name was selected, it was because the Sioux killed buffalo and also because they were great warriors.  I read about the Sioux in history class.  The odds they overcame in battles were truly amazing.  They were some of the greatest warriors ever and they deserve to be honored by the tradition of UND.

Along the line, people started thinking it honored every native american or the whole race.  This obviously isn't the case.  Now we have people saying they don't want to be honored.  Well, truth be told, we aren't honoring you, we honor your ancestors.  Kinds like the minutemen.  We don't honor the people who live in New England today.  We honor the soldiers who fought for our independance.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Stromer wrote:Somewhere along the line the meaning of this honor got lost.  When the name was selected, it was because the Sioux killed buffalo and also because they were great warriors.  I read about the Sioux in history class.  The odds they overcame in battles were truly amazing.  They were some of the greatest warriors ever and they deserve to be honored by the tradition of UND.

Along the line, people started thinking it honored every native american or the whole race.  This obviously isn't the case.  Now we have people saying they don't want to be honored.  Well, truth be told, we aren't honoring you, we honor your ancestors.  Kinds like the minutemen.  We don't honor the people who live in New England today.  We honor the soldiers who fought for our independance.

thats a pretty good statement and i will agree with you on that. UND before and during all of their home games, plays a video that says why they picked the name and the honor that comes with it.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Roughrider wrote:
Stromer wrote:Somewhere along the line the meaning of this honor got lost.  When the name was selected, it was because the Sioux killed buffalo and also because they were great warriors.  I read about the Sioux in history class.  The odds they overcame in battles were truly amazing.  They were some of the greatest warriors ever and they deserve to be honored by the tradition of UND.

thats a pretty good statement and i will agree with you on that. UND before and during all of their home games, plays a video that says why they picked the name and the honor that comes with it.

but i guess that's not good enough for IA....If he doesn't see honor in it, i guess he never will...This argument has been a waste of my time, because IA is stubborn and thinks that it's him against the world right now...so I'm done
project-pat

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 09, 2007 7:48 pm

project-pat wrote:
Roughrider wrote:

but i guess that's not good enough for IA....If he doesn't see honor in it, i guess he never will...This argument has been a waste of my time, because IA is stubborn and thinks that it's him against the world right now...so I'm done

It isn't him against the world it is him against those that don't respect his right to an opinion.  I don't agree completly but that is why it is called opinion, if it were fact then some of us would wrong that is not the case , yet.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Well he can have an opinion that everyone hates him if he wants then i guess...but that's far from true.
project-pat

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 am

Hate me or love me, I don't care.  I am not looking for you to like me.  I am looking to be respected as a human being.  once again, I am not a mascot!

Once again, you will never understand.  You only see one point of view.  You can't truly tell me that you see both, since you never have lived both.  I have lived both.  I have lived and worked on both the reservation and a major city (mpls).  So I suggest some of you do what I did, I educated myself about things I discuss. 

I think there is enough people to warrant retirement of the mascot.  I am not against the world.  I may be the small minority on this website, but there are many that share my feeling.  There are many Native American people who share my views.  Just because I am computer literate and I voice my opinon does not mean I am alone on this on, Native Golfer would agree.  We are not the only two opposed to this!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu May 10, 2007 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby always a sports season » Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 am

Maybe there needs to be a week-end sports tournament with all the people discussing this on this site and their buddies.  Each team would be given an ethnic name for their mascot and let the cheering and chanting begin.  Let each team member be treated like the stereotype that their nicknames represent all throughout the week-end and see how each person feels at the end.  Maybe walking  even a 1/4 mile in someone else's shoes would help develop some understanding. 
always a sports season

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 10, 2007 5:44 am

Good scenerio, but will never float.  That only promotes more hate.  I am against that. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges